Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 08:20:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Investing Entire Portfolio in Altcoins  (Read 186 times)
GratefulDeadhead (OP)

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 02, 2018, 12:01:57 PM

Is it a good idea to invest most of, if not all of my portfolio into smaller altcoins with the potential for huge growth? For example, altcoins with a marketcap of less than $1Bn have a much greater potential to grow 10x - 100x than the likes of Bitcoin and Ethereum do.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
udayantha11

Activity: 770
Merit: 17

2023 would most likely be as bearish as 2022

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2018, 12:14:24 PM

yes that also a factor. the supply not only the factor determine the potential coin. there are lot of factors to determine. the team behind the project, their vision , whats the new updates, where is in the market circle.  some have huge supply but the price also increased, because investors like to invest because of other factors. Dont put all the funds in to one coin. these days sia, eth, have great potential. Try to do research before investing. ICO also best way to get ROI as 10X

we all need universal power and cyclist of Everything
-2023 would most likely be as bearish as 2022-
=BTC will make it, but might be a long winter=

Stronger the storm, brighter the rainbow
DonaldTramponald

Activity: 301
Merit: 100

Next Generation Antivirus

View Profile
January 02, 2018, 05:21:39 PM

Is it a good idea to invest most of, if not all of my portfolio into smaller altcoins with the potential for huge growth? For example, altcoins with a marketcap of less than $1Bn have a much greater potential to grow 10x - 100x than the likes of Bitcoin and Ethereum do.

Based on my experience I can say that holding all funds in Alts is a bad idea. It is important, part of Deposit to hold Bitcoin. Because with the dramatic increase in BTC, your altcoins are losing value.
Here is an example: in the spring of 2017 started to invest in the crypt 4700$. At that time Bitcoin price was 1000$. And all of 4.7 BTC invested in altcoins. In summer the value of my portfolio has grown to 7 BTC (in the alts). But I did not record a profit and not deduced 50% in Bitcoin. In autumn, Bitcoin has increased dramatically and my altcoins greatly subsided up to 1 BTC.
After this experience, I changed my investment strategy and try to allocate Deposit in Alts, BTC and cash.

crytomusica

Activity: 101

Cointed. The Future of the Money

View Profile
January 02, 2018, 05:50:10 PM

It is against my trading strategy. I prefer to divide my portfolio in some percentage. Of course you can set different strategy. Mine is %60 bitcoin and %40 alt coin in all my portfolio. If you like to take risk more then you can increase alt coin percentage.

kueyen

Activity: 140
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 02, 2018, 05:53:24 PM

It depends on how much risk you are willing to take. When you look at an altcoin exchange, the green numbers may look very attractive and provide some easy returns, but you shouldn't forget that altcoins are even more volatile and open to manipulation than bitcoin, so you can see your investment vanish as well. I personally would keep at least 50% of my investments in bitcoin.

johnnywoo2015

Activity: 824
Merit: 500

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
January 02, 2018, 05:54:07 PM

I'm seriously considering it.

Looks like 2018 will be the year of altcoins and altcoins will show a much bigger growth rate than bitcoin itself.

Any suggesting beside standard in top 100?

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.YoBit AirDrop $.|.Get 700 YoDollars for Free!.🏆
dumplingsandsushi

Activity: 476
Merit: 41

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2018, 05:58:32 PM

Investing entire portfolio in altcoins...

is a terrible idea!

Here are the problems:

#1) The altcoin you invested in has to outperform bitcoin, thinking that every coin that has a low market cap can rise 50 to 100x is sheer stupidity

#2) you will most likely spread yourself too thin, if you invest 10k usd and spread it accross 7 to 10 different coins your profit margins won't be as high

#3) it will prevent you from making short to medium term trades that can substantially increase your capital

There's a reason why those who know the market well suggest put 50% of your investments in bitcoin and then in two or three alts.
Just putting it all into alts in hope that you find the "next big thing" is gambling rather than investment.
It is easy to look at those who got rich off of a coin and think, "I can do it too" but if you don't take the steps to become an active investor, most likely you will best case scenario, make a couple hundred, or worst case, lose it all.

Magister Magus

Activity: 328
Merit: 39

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 11:21:19 PM

Altcoins can be very rewarding, if you choose the right one; but also betting on an "en plein" on the roulette is very rewarding...
Actually, it's better to focus on just some of them after a careful analysis.
To pulverize the investment in too many directions is probably a mistake.

▂▂▃▅▇ EVO - THE WORLD OF SELF-DEVELOPMENT ▇▅▃▂▂
MEDIUM    ●  LINKEDIN  ●TELEGRAM ◄  Blockchain platform for assessing and developing human skills  ▶ TWITTER  ● FACEBOOK  ●
WHITEPAPER
djselery
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 11:25:22 PM

While it is always good to diversify your investment between many coins, it is always a bit risky to invest all your money in the small or shitcoins. The majority of this coins are worthless, and haven't real values, so it is better to invest instead in the most promising coins.
joshuab90

Activity: 25

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2018, 11:27:18 PM

I am curently doing this with around 50% gains PER DAY. For example, yesterday I traded in my Raiblocks for TRON and caught the jump. It really matters what potential the coin has, the technical analysis, and any upcoming news. I jump around a lot every day from day trading coins.
uncleduckerr

Activity: 202

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 11:38:14 PM

That is true that you can do that but I would strongly advise against going all in on altcoins unless you are a professional. The reason for this is the swings will be astronomical and while some days it will be nice some days it will hurt. It will anchor you a lot to have some holding in BTC and it will minimize those nasty swings.

shaun98

Activity: 238

View Profile
January 06, 2018, 08:55:00 AM

It is great to invest in altcoins, but I definitely do not recommend you to invest your ENTIRE portfolio into them. Bitcoin will continue to rise and it is good to keep it.

Kryten12

Activity: 448
Merit: 15

TREEBLOCK

View Profile
January 06, 2018, 08:57:43 AM

I think you would do better to split your portfolio between Altcoins and Bitcoin rather that go all in to the altcoin camp. For one thing you will get the Fork coins from Bitcoin which increase the value of your portfolio without even trying.

TREEBLOCK.io   //   TOKEN GENERATING EVENT
▶▶▶▶▶▶▶▶▶▶   ICO is LIVE  》 JOIN NOW!   |■■■
Telegram    ●    LinkedIn    ●    Youtube    ●    Twitter
coolcountry

Activity: 154
Merit: 11

View Profile
January 06, 2018, 08:59:52 AM

Well technically ethereum is still an altcoin so if you invest in ethereum it is still a safe investment. If you are talking about trying to catch the pumps of smaller altcoins, it is too risky in my opinion and may not lead to earnings all the time. Depends on how much risk you are willing to take, but it's not my cup of tea.

deepcryptomine

Activity: 392
Merit: 101

View Profile
January 06, 2018, 09:06:41 AM

I am in crypto for about six months now and didn't have much money to invest in it. So my portfolio does look like that. My btc holding is less than 10% and it will be 0% soon (just waiting for the ICO to start for one of the project I am following.).
AMiRU

Activity: 89
Merit: 3

Meritocracy

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2018, 09:11:02 AM

I keep my BTC in wallet, have been letting it sit doing nothing but increases in value for quite a long time.
After receiving my BCH fork, I started trading altcoins and I have nearly doubled my invested BCH (in a different altcoin).
I guess there is a benefit letting BTC sit in wallet as well.

Pure SSD Shared Hosting with Litespeed + LSCache, optimized for Wordpress, Joomla, Drupal 8, Xenforo & Prestashop (https://awangan.com)
wishman93

Activity: 210

View Profile
January 06, 2018, 09:20:37 AM

It's always good to have some ETH and BTC
Virginia8

Activity: 12

View Profile
January 06, 2018, 09:28:04 AM

It is feasible for you. Because if investment in the mainstream coins growth space is not that big. It is worth the altcoins to invest in small future potential.
erickkyut

Activity: 1176
Merit: 509

View Profile
January 06, 2018, 09:30:53 AM

It depends on the coin. Do not just based on the marketcap. There are lots of shitcoins now. Do some studies abount the coin first to know if it will be feasible in the long run. Research their whitepaper, roadmap and even the background of their developers. Find something unique on a coin. Something it offers that is new to the market.
Rules85

Activity: 182

View Profile
January 06, 2018, 09:40:08 AM

Yes, although I did the same thing, I invested most of my money in altcoin, but please note that altcoin is also likely to be 0.

DCC│Distributed Credit Chain
    Empower Credit, Enable Finance   
GithubFacebookMedium ‹‹‹dcc.finance››› RedditTwitterTelegram
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: