Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 07:49:43 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: There will be lots of cheap GPUs for sale eventually  (Read 4493 times)
AngelusWebDesign (OP)

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 04:51:20 PM

Here's why.

Today I found a 6970 on Craigslist -- one that's easily available, including NewEgg ($330 after rebate). The Bitcoin mining card comparison wiki lists the card as "easy" to acquire.

The seller was asking $350 for the same card, 1 month used.

What is he thinking? How can you charge a scarcity premium on something that isn't even scarce?

Anyhow, here's the good part -- after I write to him with a lowball offer of $200, he responds with:

"Thanks, Matthew, but I have several people willing to pay $350."

Assuming he's not lying, there are apparently still a lot of stupid people who are about to be very disappointed when they realize it will take ONE HUNDRED AND THIRTY DAYS of mining to pay for that card. That's assuming 8.8c per kWh electricity, and proportional mining (slightly more productive than pay-per-share). That also assumes no further difficulty increases, which is too much to hope for.

Some people have yet to wake up. The time for over-paying for video cards (snatching them up at any price) ended at least a few weeks ago, if not earlier.

For those who have problems with reading comprehension (you know who you are):
No, I'm not saying mining is never profitable.
No, I'm not saying "the sky is falling" or that Bitcoin is going to collapse.
No, I've never said any of the things above.
Yes, I'm saying there are some miners who are going to be *very* disappointed with their expensive toy(s).

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
mike678

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 04:57:12 PM

I'm not really understanding the idea of buying used mining cards to be honest especially if your buying them for more then retail. Theres a risk that the previous owner abused the card and it will not last. Unfortunately you can't rma to ebay or craigslist. I guess if your getting the card for cheaper then retail it might be worth the risk but it confuses me why people will pay more then retail for a used mining card.
lebuen

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 04:58:07 PM

Yes, I'm saying there are some miners who are going to be *very* disappointed with their expensive toy(s).
Why do YOU care?  Smiley
BTW, return on investment in 130 days + still owning the asset (the GPU), that's a really good investment. And everyone should know that Bitcoin is kind of a gamble right now.
zybron

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 05:01:19 PM

I hope your campaign works, Angelus, I'd like to see the difficulty go down, too.

crazybernie

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 05:08:28 PM

It's really a YMMV situation.  I'm a gamer, so dropping $220 on my 6950 was no big deal, and the fact that I can use it to more than pay for the electricity that my whole system is using makes for a nice bonus.

It's not that unusual to find overpriced used merchandise of any sort... people always think their crap is worth its weight in gold.  Craigslist and ebay are the best places to find items like that.

Ok... then why did he still have the card?
AngelusWebDesign (OP)

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 05:15:18 PM

It's really a YMMV situation.  I'm a gamer, so dropping $220 on my 6950 was no big deal, and the fact that I can use it to more than pay for the electricity that my whole system is using makes for a nice bonus.

It's not that unusual to find overpriced used merchandise of any sort... people always think their crap is worth its weight in gold.  Craigslist and ebay are the best places to find items like that.

Ok... then why did he still have the card?

Yes, there are plenty of people who want a GPU for gaming as well, etc.

But when you already have 5, 10, or 15 cards, you can't really justify it as "Oh well, I'll just play games on it if mining doesn't pay off."  Wink

My only point was that there are still some idiots in the mining world who haven't been flushed out of the system yet.
P.T. Barnum really was correct: "There's a sucker born every minute."
AngelusWebDesign (OP)

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 05:20:52 PM

Why do YOU care?  Smiley
BTW, return on investment in 130 days + still owning the asset (the GPU), that's a really good investment. And everyone should know that Bitcoin is kind of a gamble right now.

I guess I'm one of those people who's annoyed by stupidity.

Regarding the investment potential, I disagree. When you're talking 130+ days to payoff, I don't think BTC mining would even cover depreciation of the "asset". Remember, there is the "drive it off the lot" drop in value that happens when you remove the cellophane from your new video card. But the 7000 series is also coming this fall -- far less than 130 days from now.

And even if it WERE a good investment (which it's not) you'd be *smarter* to buy the thing on NewEgg for $329.99 after rebate, and get a BRAND NEW one that you can RMA if it's defective, etc. than to buy it from some person on Craigslist for $350. Heck, you don't even get the 1% cashback on your credit card when you buy things on CL. CL sellers don't take credit cards.
AngelusWebDesign (OP)

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 05:27:41 PM

I hope your campaign works, Angelus, I'd like to see the difficulty go down, too.

You're knee-jerk repeating what others have said. You haven't given it one ounce of thought.

Those who make stupid decisions HELP ME OUT because they buy things from stores, to which they can never return. These cards will eventually flood the market, bringing down the price of used video cards for me and others like me.

And flood the market they will, because there's no way you're going to see $350 in Bitcoins from one of those cards if you purchased it today.

themike5000

Activity: 99

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 06:08:05 PM

This.

Angelus -- stop sharing your daily life with us.  No one is interested.

Vertcoin: VdHjU3L2dcHCR3uQmqpM6mf4LCvp2678wh
jwzguy

Activity: 868
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 06:11:04 PM

http://tiny.cc/tir4m
1.21gigawatts

Activity: 98

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 06:13:18 PM

blah blah blah, that's all see when I read a thread started by Angelus.
Go back to your own soap box forums and reply to yourself all day long to admire yourself Angelus.  No one listens to you here because you're a hypocrite.
Caerid

Activity: 12

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 06:16:59 PM

This.

Agreed. Just sounds like someone's mad no one takes him up on his lowball offers.

Everyone wants top dollar for what they're selling, is it really that surprising. Fact of the matter is a 6970 is still the top of the line AMD single gpu card and the only time it'll ever go down in price in any significant way is when their next gen of cards come out later in the year. No amount of bitching and whining is gonna change that.
AngelusWebDesign (OP)

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 07:10:42 PM

This.

Agreed. Just sounds like someone's mad no one takes him up on his lowball offers.

Everyone wants top dollar for what they're selling, is it really that surprising. Fact of the matter is a 6970 is still the top of the line AMD single gpu card and the only time it'll ever go down in price in any significant way is when their next gen of cards come out later in the year. No amount of bitching and whining is gonna change that.

Speaking of hypocrisy --

You talk about how my posts are a waste of air, but you never fail to click on one of them.
Mousepotato

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

Seal Cub Clubbing Club

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 07:24:54 PM

Here's why.

Today I found a 6970 on Craigslist -- one that's easily available, including NewEgg ($330 after rebate). The Bitcoin mining card comparison wiki lists the card as "easy" to acquire.

The seller was asking $350 for the same card, 1 month used.

What is he thinking? How can you charge a scarcity premium on something that isn't even scarce?

Anyhow, here's the good part -- after I write to him with a lowball offer of $200, he responds with:

Assuming he's not lying, there are apparently still a lot of stupid people who are about to be very disappointed when they realize it will take ONE HUNDRED AND THIRTY DAYS of mining to pay for that card. That's assuming 8.8c per kWh electricity, and proportional mining (slightly more productive than pay-per-share). That also assumes no further difficulty increases, which is too much to hope for.

Some people have yet to wake up. The time for over-paying for video cards (snatching them up at any price) ended at least a few weeks ago, if not earlier.

For those who have problems with reading comprehension (you know who you are):
No, I'm not saying mining is never profitable.
No, I'm not saying "the sky is falling" or that Bitcoin is going to collapse.
No, I've never said any of the things above.

So basically what you're saying is that you don't understand basic CL counter-lowball tactics Smiley

Mousepotato
tanerlorn

Activity: 109

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 07:55:09 PM

Matthew how come you keep ignoring me???
Matthew how come you keep ignoring me???Matthew how come you keep ignoring me???Matthew how come you keep ignoring me???

Fixed your retarded post for you

there's no way you're going to see $350 in Bitcoins at today's Bitcoin price from one of those cards if you purchased it today
there's no way you're going to see $350 in Bitcoins at today's Bitcoin price from one of those cards if you purchased it today

Congrats, you're right! Good thing the price of Bitcoins is going to stay stable at the same exact price its at for the next million years!

Congrats, you're right! Good thing the price of Bitcoins is going to stay stable at the same exact price its at for the next million years!

bcpokey

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 08:03:28 PM

Angelius has really played with my mind. I went from seriously debating his posts, to being annoyed by his refusal to respond to basic contrary evidence, to being very annoyed by seeing thread after thread of the same stuff, to just about downright hating him, and then back again to amusement when I see a new thread.

This thread has made me laugh, mostly the responses to it I suppose, I'm almost looking forward to these now. I will be sad if he manages to outlast his detractors though.

So anyway, difficulty is skyrocketing, bitcoin prices are plumetting, and the market will be flooded with GPUs as people desperately sell off their rigs jumping ship out of bitcoin... (and none of these will affect the other), hopefully I've encapsulated everything in one sentence. Go go go.
Lars

Activity: 27

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 08:10:43 PM

Why do you assume that everyone buying or selling AMD cards have anything to do with bitcoin mining?
BCwinning

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 08:33:14 PM

we don't give a fuck about you or your efforts in buying gpu cards.
Corner the fucking market who cares.
Stop mining who cares.
Stop the fucking QQ
we are going to die also eventually

The New World Order thanks you for your support of Bitcoin and encourages your continuing support so that they may track your expenditures easier.
rampone

Activity: 339

dafq is goin on

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 09:12:26 PM

stop babbling dude

a friend of mine sold his 2 month mining 5870 for 40% then he bought: actually he sold for 320$...

http://virwox.com - Bitcoins via CCard, Skrill, paysafe, paypal & SEPA
Convert your bitcoin into spendable fiat money in less than 2 days. Poker Players use this method to avoid "unnecessary trouble" with the country they live in ... PM me for details. +1:naz86,b4nana,tinua,smart1986,fhh
Mousepotato

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

Seal Cub Clubbing Club

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 09:20:47 PM

stop babbling dude

a friend of mine sold his 2 month mining 5870 for 40% then he bought: actually he sold for 320$...

I just bought a 5870 for $189.99 and already got an offer from someone in my guild for $250 Smiley  And I haven't even received it yet!

Mousepotato
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: