Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 01:17:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What's the Best Trading Exchange for you: Mt Gox, TH, or CampBX?  (Read 9812 times)
StewartJ (OP)

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 04:53:41 PM

Folks,

I would like your input on which bitcoin exchange you deal with and why

I want to stick with one exchange to trade 10, 50, and maybe up to 100 btc per trade.

My take on the 3 aforementioned:

- MT Gox seems to have the volume and the trading actron, but it light of recent problems, like pausing for 10 minutes in the middle of a rally, I am very leery of using them. Am I over-reacting? will I get Goxed when there is another rally?

Tradehill seems to execute orders competently, but their volume is low; they do seem to follow MT Gox closely price-wise. Should I follow MT Gox action, but use Tradehill to trade the BTC?

CampBX is brand new and not sure what peoples experience is with trading with them. They seem to provide more options for selling/buying.

Your input would be most appreciated. And big thanks to all my Bit Peeps.

SJ

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
morpheus

Activity: 164
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 05:19:08 PM

You should use Dark Exchange: https://github.com/macourtney/Dark-Exchange

Grin
StewartJ (OP)

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 05:23:11 PM

You should use Dark Exchange: https://github.com/macourtney/Dark-Exchange

Grin

Duly noted, thanks.
joepie91

Activity: 294

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 05:26:07 PM

I would stay away from Mt. Gox due to the simply horrible security procedures we've seen in the past few weeks. The platform was basically full of holes, an entire period was rolled back, there were lies about what happened, and so on and so on.

I would personally stay away from Tradehill due to their aggressive referral marketing (which has caused its fair share of spam on here already), and the fact that they still do not seem very responsive to the community (plus, they have a closed platform).

While CampBX is new, I would (if they also supported European customers) go for CampBX, because they have been extremely responsive so far (basically fixing and/or seriously looking at everything that was posted by community members in a matter of hours), they have had an independent security audit (even if it's from a questionable-quality party such as McAfee), did not hesitate to share a lot of information about it, and so far seem very professionally set up and are very responsive. Time will tell if this keeps up, and the lack of support for European customers is definitely an issue (also in terms of trading volume).

The above is just my personal opinion, and just counts for when I *had* to choose between the three you mentioned.

Right now I am personally looking into http://www.intersango.com/ as it is run by Bitcoin Consultancy (genjix etc.) on an open-source platform, and has support for SEPA transfers from what I have read. I definitely think that is the most reliable exchange at this point in time (together with Britcoin), even though their volume is very low.

Like my post(s)? 12TSXLa5Tu6ag4PNYCwKKSiZsaSCpAjzpu Smiley
Quote from: hawks5999
I just can't wait for fall/winter. My furnace never generated money for me before. I'll keep mining until my furnace is more profitable.
StewartJ (OP)

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 05:30:38 PM

Right now I am personally looking into http://www.intersango.com/ as it is run by Bitcoin Consultancy (genjix etc.) on an open-source platform, and has support for SEPA transfers from what I have read. I definitely think that is the most reliable exchange at this point in time (together with Britcoin), even though their volume is very low.

Thanks Joepie,

I am torn over MT Gox, lots of action, but frustrating security issues like you mentioned. Thanks for the heads up on intersango.

Best,
S.
QuickTrader

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 05:54:08 PM

IMHO only one exchange has a "face".

I have found that Tradehill responds to email and they post here in their own name.

MT Gox never responds to email.

Any other new exchange must first proof themselfs.
naturallaw

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 06:07:17 PM

What are people's opinions of ExchangeBitcoins.com, seems to have the most appealing website to me.
joepie91

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 06:07:35 PM

I have found that Tradehill responds to email and they post here in their own name.

So do Britcoin (thus also Intersango).

I just can't wait for fall/winter. My furnace never generated money for me before. I'll keep mining until my furnace is more profitable.
nelisky
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 06:08:42 PM

I haven't traded outside #bitcoin-otc at all for a long time now, but let me tell you I've never had *any* issues with the responsiveness of mtgox, both from Jed initially and Mark now. They always replied to my emails promptly, and the IRC channel during the crisis was also a good place to ask stuff, though obviously the repeated "are we there yet?" remarks were completely ignored.

I'm not saying they have the man power needed to resolve the crisis or that they are not over their heads with requests and tickets, I don't know, but my experience is that they are very serious and honest. Just my 2 bit cents
MagicalTux
VIP

Activity: 608
Merit: 501

-

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 12:10:38 AM

We have posted some information abour our current tickets status and are doing our best to reply to everyone, which means more than 5000 tickets in the past 3 weeks.

If you want to see our face you can just cole to irc://irc.freenode.net/mtgox - it works too.
dinzy

Activity: 140

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 02:01:54 AM

No offense to the other guys, but MtGox is the only place that really matters.  TH has some volume and CampBX has a lot of nice features, but neither have the numbers that Gox does. 

What I'd like to see on Gox is more advanced trading features like auto stop loss, and possibly a pay-for 0 commission service. 
MKW2012

Activity: 74
Merit: 1

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 02:16:39 AM

I'd go with Mt. Gox mainly because of the better liquidlity it provides. The other two would be nice to trade but the spreads just aren't as attractive Mt. Gox.
newMeat1

Activity: 210

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 04:56:24 AM

Out of the 4 I've used, here's my ranking:

1. CampBX. I trust it, the fees are low, and it's finally getting some liquidity. 'Nuf said
2. Tie with Mt Gox and Tradehill. Mt Gox has a better interface, but I trust TH's security a little bit more.
3. Bitcoin7. I did not trust this website at all. At least one of the guys running it seems like a sleazeball.

I kind of like the smaller exchanges better. Even a small-time user like me can start a run or a rally. So that's fun.

Oldminer
Legendary

Activity: 1022

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 05:40:23 AM

Gox IMO.

TH has a clunky trading interface.

I find Bitcoin7 to be good for quick profits too.

If you like my post please feel free to give me some positive rep https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=trust;u=18639
Tip me BTC: 1FBmoYijXVizfYk25CpiN8Eds9J6YiRDaX
CoinMan

Activity: 104
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 06:07:54 AM

CampBx is the trader's platform hands down for me.  Plus the margin account, advanced order abilities and shorting is very useful.

My Bitcoin Identity
Bitcoin: 183DFFQXR4xCyseBXzmh3XWc22izDWE5Dw
joepie91

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 09:05:00 AM

No offense to the other guys, but MtGox is the only place that really matters.  TH has some volume and CampBX has a lot of nice features, but neither have the numbers that Gox does. 

What I'd like to see on Gox is more advanced trading features like auto stop loss, and possibly a pay-for 0 commission service. 
To paraphrase a reply posted on another forum yesterday regarding Bitcoin:

"So you walk up to a few construction workers working on the foundation of a building, and start shouting 'This is not going to work guys! You can't even live in that, it has no roof, this is useless! You're wasting your time!'"

Especially CampBX seems to have the features and security (from what I have seen), but it has only existed for what? 3 days? Of course it has a low trading volume. Is that a reason to not use it? No, that's a reason to start using it and increase that volume!

digimag

Activity: 138

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 04:30:31 PM

bitmarket.eu

17opQsbw8873x4PTwzvacEjNR2a59mSxoT
StewartJ (OP)

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 05:54:26 PM

Out of the 4 I've used, here's my ranking:

1. CampBX. I trust it, the fees are low, and it's finally getting some liquidity. 'Nuf said
2. Tie with Mt Gox and Tradehill. Mt Gox has a better interface, but I trust TH's security a little bit more.
3. Bitcoin7. I did not trust this website at all. At least one of the guys running it seems like a sleazeball.

I kind of like the smaller exchanges better. Even a small-time user like me can start a run or a rally. So that's fun.

I signed up with the first 3 you mentioned. Will be trying all of them out, with small action and see how they perform. I am leaning towards your assessment. I like the idea of having more control with Market / Limit price stuff.

By the way, anyone know, if the are charts anywhere for CampBX, I do not see anything on bitcoincharts.com yet for this new exchange.

Is there a feed for Campbx using SierraChart tool?

Thanks newMeat and all the Bit Peeps out there for your insightful input.

Stew
Oldminer
Legendary

Activity: 1022

View Profile
July 09, 2011, 06:51:38 AM

I think TH could attract a lot more of the market if they improved the user trading interface. As it is atm your flying blind when trading. As MtGox's user interface stands its ok but nothing special and still has its problems. This is something TH could capitalize on.

If you like my post please feel free to give me some positive rep https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=trust;u=18639
Tip me BTC: 1FBmoYijXVizfYk25CpiN8Eds9J6YiRDaX
mc_lovin
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

www.bitcointrading.com

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2011, 08:55:17 PM

you should put a poll on this thread Smiley

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: