Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 04:52:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][BTC][POOL][PPLNS]p2pool.bit[Beta]  (Read 5224 times)
pyra-proxy (OP)

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 12:42:56 AM

I'm field testing a new pool currently, it will be 0% fee at least during testing (possibly longer depending on demand, etc.)  This is based on a p2pool node so is assisting BTC's p2pool and decentralized mining ecosystem.  In good spirit of the cryptocommunity, the domain is .bit so you must be using some form of .bit compatible DNS proxy to properly resolve the URL.

Now for the fun stuff:

Pool URL = stratum+tcp://p2pool.bit:9332
  Note: Only tested currently to work with cgminer + bfgminer

User Name = <BTC Address>
  Note: Pool supports miner adjustable difficulty settings to control your payment size as well as worker difficulty.  To utilize these you must add a "/" after your btc mining address followed by 2 numbers delimited with a "+", the first number indicates when the pool will attempt to submit a share on your behalf to p2pool and must be greater than the minimum p2pool difficulty to make any difference, the second is your individual worker difficulty to help throttle the utilized bandwidth, stales and worker variance, etc.
Code:
  Examples:  <BTC Address>/100+4  Would give your workers difficulty 4 work, and p2pool.bit will submit shares into p2pool on your behalf when your workers find shares that meet 100 difficulty or more which also entitles you to p2pool payouts based on difficulty 100 instead of the min p2pool difficulty
                 <BTC Address>/100 Would allow auto-adjusting difficulty and still make your minimum share payment based on 100 difficulty or greater shares
                 <BTC Address>/+4 Workers get difficulty 4 work and shares are submitted when they match or exceed p2pools minimum difficulty
                 <BTC Address> Workers get auto-adjusting difficulty and are submitted when they match or exceed p2pools minimum difficulty
I do highly recommend you use these features, particularly if you have a larger mining rig/asic, it will help keep p2pool difficulty lower, increase your payout sizes (reducing later fees), helps establish optimal variance levels.

Better Explanation: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=18313.msg816322#msg816322 but keep in mind the BTC p2pool difficulty at the time of writing that article was 749, at the time of this article the BTC p2pool is operating at about 15000 so adjust the calculations accordingly.

User password = <anything you want, the pool cares not>

Not using a .bit capable DNS proxy to resolve the pool's URL?  Fear not!

Article to walkthrough setup: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=205026.0
Acrylic DNS home: http://mayakron.altervista.org/wikibase/show.php?id=AcrylicHome
Default Config file to support .bit: http://blockchained.com/stuff/AcrylicConfiguration.ini
  Note: Works out of the box but there are some config items discussed in the article you may want to consider

Pool Stats page: http://p2pool.bit:9332/static/

Final Comments:  DO NOT USE AN EXCHANGE'S ADDRESS FOR MINING, MOST CANNOT DETECT GENERATES AND WILL LOOSE YOUR MINING INCOME!!!!!  Now that is out of the way... this is a beta pool, if demand is positive and testing goes well this pool may be moved to stronger p2pool servers and as always the operator reserves the right to shutdown the pool at anytime for any reason, so have a backup pool set in your miner (It's a good idea to do this anyway, especially on a beta pool....)

Enjoy and happy block hunting!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
rizzman

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 01:08:02 AM

Definitly interested in this. we are going to need a solid pool in order to make the most out of our Jupiter's once they arrive. The one concern I do have however is what you have in place to protect against DDOS attacks. this is going to be a more prevalent problem once all the additional hashing power hits the market.if you need help designing infrastructure to address this issue let me know. As for beta testing currently I do not have any asics available to assist withso I can't help you there.
pyra-proxy (OP)

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 01:17:55 AM

Definitly interested in this. we are going to need a solid pool in order to make the most out of our Jupiter's once they arrive. The one concern I do have however is what you have in place to protect against DDOS attacks. this is going to be a more prevalent problem once all the additional hashing power hits the market.if you need help designing something to address this issue let me know. As for beta testing currently I do not have any asics available to assist withso I can't help you there.

The beta pool could be DDOS'ed off the face of the earth I'm afraid (so have backup pools as I mentioned lol), but when formally released I'll have to make the call on what is feasible, I do want to try and keep the 0% fee but that leaves me with little wiggle room so I'm working on how to get all the bells and whistles and keep that if at all possible.  When I start looking at a more formal migration I'll definitely be hitting you up on the offer though!  During this "beta" time my concern is to ensure all the optimizations necessary in a somewhat resource constrained environment can handle a somewhat substantial load so that when it comes to migrating to bigger/better servers the infrastructure will scale up nicely to support whatever could be thrown at it and ideally making a p2pool node that rivals some of the larger direct outfits to show that it can be done as p2pool I think has a stigma that it shouldn't be able to handle this much load on a single node, but I think we can do it (tm) lol.

Latency and block times are of a big concern for me at the moment and those need some load testing to see how asics will be able to handle those in p2pool.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: