Bitcoin Forum
June 15, 2024, 12:55:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: standardized currency codes?  (Read 133 times)
zenyfomax1 (OP)

Activity: 98
Merit: 1

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 06:29:03 AM

Wondering if someone knows of efforts for cataloguing and standardizing cryptocurrency codes. As we all know, currently different cryptoexchanges sometimes use different codes e.g. XBT or BTC for bitcoin, BCC or BCH for bitcoin cash, XLM or STR for stellar lumens, and so on. Also, some of these codes are not ISO-4217 compliant, e.g. BTC clashes with Bhutan currency and so on (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_4217).

I'm asking this because I'm planning to write a common CLI for multiple exchanges.
Herbert2020
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1137

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 06:41:42 AM
Last edit: January 03, 2018, 07:13:19 AM by Herbert2020

the ISO standard for bitcoin is XBT edit[1] only because calling it BTC and starting with B was not possible because of conflict with another currency  but people use and prefer BTC because it is easier to use and it has been used longer.

as for altcoins nobody cares because they are not used anywhere outside of exchanges and inside exchanges they can call it whatever they want and since there are only finite number of letters in English language but infinite number of altcoins it is impossible to even try to make any standard for them. for example BCC is bitconnect and is taken already. but bitcoin cash is also using it sometimes.

[1] (it turns out XBT is not standard either, it is chosen by exchanges and other places like CME group as the symbol but not standard)

Weak hands have been complaining about missing out ever since bitcoin was $1 and never buy the dip.
Whales are those who keep buying the dip.
bitperson

Activity: 210
Merit: 119

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 06:50:39 AM

the ISO standard for bitcoin is XBT only because calling it BTC and starting with B was not possible because of conflict with another currency (fiat i forgot which country) but people use and prefer BTC because it is easier to use and it has been used longer.

as for altcoins nobody cares because they are not used anywhere outside of exchanges and inside exchanges they can call it whatever they want and since there are only finite number of letters in English language but infinite number of altcoins it is impossible to even try to make any standard for them. for example BCC is bitconnect and is taken already. but bitcoin cash is also using it sometimes.
I don't believe 'XBT' is a standard. As far as I know, the only ISO 4217 assigned X codes are these:
Bond Markets Unit European Composite Unit (EURCO)   XBA
Bond Markets Unit European Monetary Unit (E.M.U.-6)XBB
Bond Markets Unit European Unit of Account 9 (E.U.A.-9)XBC
Bond Markets Unit European Unit of Account 17 (E.U.A.-17)XBD
Codes specifically reserved for testing purposesXTS
The codes assigned for transactions where no currency is involvedXXX
GoldXAU
PalladiumXPD
PlatinumXPT
SilverXAG

How to ask questions the smart way
When you’re happy with the answers in a thread you have started, please click ‘lock topic’ to prevent spam.
1AWrZWnN4ThpGB5z24WTzsoZRMqvLpDGYU
zenyfomax1 (OP)

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 07:35:32 AM

just to clarify, i'm not specifically asking for ISO compliant codes. any kind of cataloging is okay.
zenyfomax1 (OP)

View Profile
January 06, 2018, 06:09:50 AM

I've published my first catalog, based on CMC with some symbols/names changed to make them unique. please take a look and hopefully this is useful to some of us.

https://metacpan.org/release/PERLANCAR/CryptoCurrency-Catalog-20180106
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: