Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 10:46:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How do you guys hide these websites?  (Read 1230 times)
cdnbcguy (OP)

Activity: 128
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2011, 04:59:59 PM
Last edit: July 07, 2011, 05:15:42 PM by cdnbcguy

I presume these sites are hidden, but I do not see TOR in use.

Can anyone tell me how to hide a website without TOR, please? Or point me at any documentation I could read to learn this?

For instance, in

http://www.bitcoinbulletin.com/2011/03/13/bowling-for-bitcoins-meet-the-trader-02/

Cusipzzz - pronounced Q-sips - says

'I think it’s good practice for everyone, even if you are not worried about being tracked. I use a network of small, global VPSes that are used for proxying and as VPNs. The more layers the better. One of the cons is that it is time consuming to do it properly. Most people just like to fire up a web browser and go. It takes time to properly connect and proxy to different servers and confirm each leg is working properly.'

I don't really know what he means here. I wrote him and got no answer.

Annona ad! Please keep in mind that there is nothing wrong with Bitcoin itself. All it's scandals are caused by wonky websites and sleazy people exploiting it. The light attracts bugs.

When all this bullshit drys up and blows away, Bitcoin will be stronger than ever.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Auspician

Activity: 126
Merit: 103

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 08:29:36 PM

This question is really not in the appropriate forum, but if you're curious how VPNs work I'd suggest this link.  Basically what the poster is talking about is connecting to a VPN, then from there to another VPN, etc.  TOR is useful as it does this automatically for you, switching you between half a dozen or more 'nodes' before arriving at your final destination.

In laymen, you know in movies when they say "I can't locate the source of the transmission because they're bouncing it off a dozen servers"?  Basically that's what VPN and TOR do is route your traffic through other locations to disguise its origin. 
cdnbcguy (OP)

Activity: 128
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2011, 09:42:31 PM

This question is really not in the appropriate forum, but if you're curious how VPNs work I'd suggest this link.  Basically what the poster is talking about is connecting to a VPN, then from there to another VPN, etc.  TOR is useful as it does this automatically for you, switching you between half a dozen or more 'nodes' before arriving at your final destination.

In laymen, you know in movies when they say "I can't locate the source of the transmission because they're bouncing it off a dozen servers"?  Basically that's what VPN and TOR do is route your traffic through other locations to disguise its origin. 

I understand vpns, I'm actually using one right now.

I understand proxies too. What this guys is doing is using virtual servers as proxies. I do not understand how this is done. Also, what IS the appropriate forum, please?

Annona ad! Please keep in mind that there is nothing wrong with Bitcoin itself. All it's scandals are caused by wonky websites and sleazy people exploiting it. The light attracts bugs.

When all this bullshit drys up and blows away, Bitcoin will be stronger than ever.
Auspician

Activity: 126
Merit: 103

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 12:26:15 AM

Probably either Development and Technical Discussion or Off Topic
GamblingPurveyor

Activity: 280
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 01:37:06 PM

Most of these sites are NOT hidden, because the operators are going by the assumption that the sites are not illegal. The assumption is that because Bitcoins aren't legally recognized as "money", it isn't really gambling. There are some of these sites that have the operator's real address on them.

If you don't buy that argument, you can Google "anonymous vps". You'll find some services based in foreign countries that don't care what you put on your Web site. Most of them accept Liberty Reserve, which turns out to be easy to convert Bitcoins into, and it's also easy to prevent LR from being linked to your real identity.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: