Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 08:35:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Are you depending on firstbits.com?  (Read 752 times)
KenJackson (OP)

Activity: 127
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 05:06:13 PM

All you can see at firstbits is a notice, part of which says:
We have taken the site offline until we fix and verify our database, this may take 2 days. We are very sorry for the inconvenience. The best thing about the firstbits rule is that anyone can implement a site or app that follows the same rule to make consistant firstbits conversions. Unfortunately, there is no other service to refer you to yet.

I've been very skeptical about this site from the start.  Now as far as I know, they're totally on the up and up, but I don't know who's running it, what motives they have, how honorable they are or what financial pressures they may be enduring now or in the future.  So why would I give out an address that depends on them to convert it before I can get paid? 

And how do we know they won't make an error?
There seems to be some error somewhere right now, whether theirs or someone else's.
And how do we know they won't be tempted to give out their own address occasionally to scoop up a little irretrievable illicit gain?

The only reason I'm bringing this up is that since we are purposely stepping away from government control (good!) we are also stepping away from some government protection.  Therefore we must be ever vigilant against the possibility of deceit and theft. 

I'm not saying it's happening.  I'm saying always beware.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2011, 04:30:02 AM

I am responsible for FirstBits.com, sorry I didn't know about this thread until now.

Firstbits addresses are just an idea. The site is a sample implementation of the rule. The details of the rule can be found at firstbits.com/about.php

There are already plenty of good Bitcoin address shorteners if you want to trust someone to maintain their database and server. What I am hoping to provide is a way to have shorter addresses without a central point of failure. Right now we are the first and only place to do firstbits look ups, but I hope that won't be true for long. We are going to release the code really soon so it will be a snap to see that we do look ups correctly and even to make your own copy of the site. Hopefully this alleviates any worry that we would maliciously give out incorrect conversions.

Unfortunately we recently discovered that our database (essentially a list of addresses and the block number in which they first appear) was missing part of several blocks. We took the site down to recheck the whole database and add some checks so that it can't happen again.

Given the number of missing addresses and the number of look ups we've done it's unlikely that even one address was given wrong firstbits. If wrong firstbits were given that would still not have resulted in a problem because we would have made the same mistake converting back. Now there is a warning to recheck your firstbits. We're very sorry for the inconvenience and any worry. 

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
hashmaker

Activity: 52
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 10, 2011, 04:42:19 AM

Unfortunately we recently discovered that our database (essentially a list of addresses and the block number in which they first appear) was missing part of several blocks. We took the site down to recheck the whole database and add some checks so that it can't happen again.

Does this mean our firstbits are no longer valid?
FreeMoney
Legendary

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2011, 05:32:16 AM

Does this mean our firstbits are no longer valid?

The vast majority and likely all that have been looked up are fine. If you happened to have an address that was very similar to one that was left out and your address was newer than the one left out then it could have given you a wrong firstbits.

I would be surprised if even one was given out incorrectly, but I recommend everyone recheck because it's not something you want to have wrong.

vv01f

Activity: 314
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 22, 2011, 09:02:16 PM

very unlikely, but nevertheless I am still searching for some very neat addy .. I love regexp *waiting*

donations to me please send via bitcoin 1vvo1FDwSAwNdLVA1mFkM7v76XPZAAUfb
a good European exchange: bitcoin.de (ref-link)
malagant1979

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 22, 2011, 09:56:29 PM

Seems like it would be a good idea to release the database, to remove any risk of centralisation.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2011, 09:38:18 AM

Seems like it would be a good idea to release the database, to remove any risk of centralisation.

The database is the block chain. It is rumored to be roaming the wild.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: