Bitcoin Forum
June 28, 2024, 03:36:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Could not withdraw fiat from MtGox - had to move to Bitstamp.  (Read 628 times)
eggshen (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 04:02:43 AM
Last edit: August 07, 2013, 05:06:23 AM by eggshen

Hey all,

Just wanted to share my experiences with MtGox.

I bought BTC on MtGox in March 2013, held and finally sold in mid June (at a slight loss).  

I initiated 3 withdrawals for a total of $26,000 USD between June 15-19, and none of them went through.

I waited for 7 weeks, sending their support staff an email a week, trying to get an update on the status of my transactions.
Every time they simply closed my support ticket without an explanation!

Finally, by the end of July, after reading a bunch of threads on this forum I cancelled my withdrawals at MtGox and immediately
purchased BTC again. I then moved all BTC to Bitstamp, got my identity and address verified within 24 hours, then sold all BTC
and withdrew all the money...  It's now been 3 business days since I received a confirmation email from Bitstamp, saying my
transaction has been processed.

I'll update this post as soon as I receive the money. Fingers crossed.

Needless to say, I'll NEVER use MtGox again. More people ought to drop them like a hot potato imho.

Cheers.

UPDATE:
Received the money from Bitstamp this morning. My withdrawal was confirmed by them on August 1st,
transferring the money into my bank account in Thailand. It took 4 whole business days as stated in their FAQ.
All is well.

Mooshire

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 05:20:54 AM

Kudos for dropping mtgox.

gamboler

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 06:26:29 AM

This is a common MtGox experience.  I believe it's also why the BTC/USD rate is inflated there relative to other exchanges: people resorting to buying back BTC after they failed to withdraw USD!

For the record though, some people do manage to withdraw their USD, including (eventually) me.  I gather there are some banks they have more trouble withdrawing to than others, including Citibank - unfortunately one of the most common intermediaries in transfers from Japan.  Not very reassuring.  I too wish the best of luck to Bitstamp, had only good experience with them so far.

Jacob
w0lverine

Activity: 44
Merit: 12

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 07:07:03 AM

this is kind of big news, I thought Mt gox had resolved all their transactions issues.
Do keep us updated.

A free world that we are in control of. In the Bitcoin space since 2013.
-
bc1qjm0kpgleed7q2pjv9f4l4xs6vn86lkyqplhsl9
-
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: