Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 09:28:22 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Armory and Bitcoin cash  (Read 270 times)
Aegean Skipper (OP)

Activity: 378
Merit: 126

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 12:34:17 PM

hi people
i like Armory a lot
i am using it for btc and do not want to change it.
i am reading several messages regarding the use of armory for a BCC wallet and i am quite confused.

in a simple question
can armory work as a bitcoin cash wallet and if yes, can it work with an existing BTC wallet at the same time?

thanks

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
PhoenixFire

Activity: 270
Merit: 36

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 03:38:16 PM

BCH support in Armory is there for the purpose of moving the coins out of Armory - Either to split or to send another BCH compatible wallet.
To answer your question, yes... but don't keep BCH in Armory - goatpig has no intention of keeping the implementation up to date with any hardforks that the BCH devs implement and as such could break at any time.
For your second question... you'd need two instances of Armory, I think. Not worth the trouble. Again, get your BCH out if you have any to split.
Aegean Skipper (OP)

View Profile
January 29, 2018, 04:06:44 PM

Thank you PhoenixFire

Something more,
I would to import a BTC/BCH address from Armory to another wallet to have it only for the use of BCH

I have read that not all of them are capable in importing an address from Armory and i have also tested Electron Cash,
i can only make it a watch only wallet and not a usable one

Which wallet can i use so to import the private key?

Thanks
jojo69
Legendary

Activity: 3164
Merit: 4345

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
January 29, 2018, 08:29:07 PM
Merited by achow101 (1)

It's a sticky man.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2070058.0

you have some reading to do

This is not some pseudoeconomic post-modern Libertarian cult, it's an un-led, crowd-sourced mega startup organized around mutual self-interest where problems, whether of the theoretical or purely practical variety, are treated as temporary and, ultimately, solvable.
Censorship of e-gold was easy. Censorship of Bitcoin will be… entertaining.
Aegean Skipper (OP)

View Profile
January 30, 2018, 01:51:53 PM

It's a sticky man.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2070058.0

you have some reading to do

Thanks for that Jojo, i had already seen it but the thing is that i was looking for a more simplest method on doing that.
I don't care in sending or having BCH on the same PC/wallet/Armory with my BTC accounts.
I will totally separate them in different system

That's why i am asking on which wallet can i transfer the private keys
Aegean Skipper (OP)

View Profile
February 04, 2018, 08:43:37 AM

i have found a solution for my matter,
to transfer/import/export a bitcoin address to another wallet from Armory so to have the amount of bitcoin cash available for transactions.

so i took the private key of this address and i import it to bitcoin abc wallet.
it took sometime for the synchronization (and some serious disk space) but now works perfectly
without messing around with armory

thank you all again
TierNolan
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1083

View Profile
February 04, 2018, 06:34:08 PM
Merited by PhoenixFire (1)

so i took the private key of this address and i import it to bitcoin abc wallet.

It is worth noting that if you import a private key into another wallet from Armory, then it weakens the security of your Armory wallet.

If someone gets that private key, then they can sometimes figure out other private keys in your wallet.

Ideally, the sequence is

- move Bitcoins to new wallet
- export private keys for the altcoin
- move altcoins to a wallet that supports those coins

1LxbG5cKXzTwZg9mjL3gaRE835uNQEteWF
Aegean Skipper (OP)

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 11:37:48 AM

Thanks for your notice TierNolan, its appreciated

i did not fulfilled exaclty  the steps that you wrote but what i did was to move the btc amount to another address in armony and then import the private key to ABC

even if the key is compromised this particular address will be empty of btc

thank you again
PhoenixFire

Activity: 270
Merit: 36

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 04:28:00 PM
Merited by achow101 (1)

Thanks for your notice TierNolan, its appreciated

i did not fulfilled exaclty  the steps that you wrote but what i did was to move the btc amount to another address in armony and then import the private key to ABC

even if the key is compromised this particular address will be empty of btc

thank you again
Right, but TierNolan is saying that if one private key is exposed all private keys and addresses in that wallet can be found, not just that one - it only requires one private key and the data from a watch only wallet... both of which I imagine have been on an online machine. It needs to be a new/fresh Armory wallet, not just a new address in the same wallet.
This is important if you don't want to risk your coins.
TierNolan
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1083

View Profile
February 07, 2018, 03:18:16 PM
Last edit: February 08, 2018, 09:11:27 PM by TierNolan

Right, but TierNolan is saying that if one private key is exposed all private keys and addresses in that wallet can be found, not just that one - it only requires one private key and the data from a watch only wallet... both of which I imagine have been on an online machine. It needs to be a new/fresh Armory wallet, not just a new address in the same wallet.
This is important if you don't want to risk your coins.

Exactly.

The risk is low but possible.  The key point is that Armory generates private keys in a sequence.  It uses the watch-only info and the previous private key to compute the next private key.  Once you have 1 private key and the watch-only info, you can compute all the remaining private keys.  (I am pretty sure earlier keys are safe)

An example would be if an altcoin was created that had a malware in the official wallet itself.  You download the official wallet for the altcoin and install it.  

It scans your computer for watch-only wallets and sends them to some server.  It also sends any private keys that you import into the wallet.  That allows the attacker to generate any later private keys.

[Edit]

Fair enough.  The attacker needs the watching only wallet + 1 private key.  If they can get the private key, then the watching only info could very easily be obtained too, since that is on the online computer.

1LxbG5cKXzTwZg9mjL3gaRE835uNQEteWF
goatpig
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1347

Armory Developer

View Profile
February 07, 2018, 04:18:56 PM

The risk is low but possible.

It's not just "possible", it's very real. Worse than the lack of security is the illusion of security. Just how long do you think average users are going to keep funds on a given wallet? I expect they'll perpetuate the same wallet for decades as long as they believe it's secure, which it won't be as they foolishly expose private keys over time.

Aegean Skipper (OP)

View Profile
February 07, 2018, 07:01:14 PM

Thanks TierNolan
Thanks PhoenixFire
Thanks goatpig (for the Armory as well!)

The key point is that Armory generates private keys in a sequence.

In the option of creating several wallets inside Armory, does the above sequence also exist in this option as well, or different wallets are handled as a totally different thing?
In other words, are the wallets, which created and managed by Armory, have any kind of connection between each other?

goatpig
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1347

Armory Developer

View Profile
February 07, 2018, 07:59:49 PM

In other words, are the wallets, which created and managed by Armory, have any kind of connection between each other?

No. A wallet is created from a random seed. The randomness is gathered from your system, key strokes, mouse movements, a hash of your temporary user folder as well as optional manual entropy (the deck of cards GUI). There is no deterministic, reproducible relationship between random seeds.

Addresses within a wallet are derived from the wallet's seed. They hold a mathematical relationship, which under certain circumstances, can reveal either the chain further down the leaked values, or all the way up to the seed.

Generally, if you've exposed one private key publicly, assume your wallet is compromised and move your founds out of it.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: