Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 05:14:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they believe that the creator of this topic displays some red flags which make them high-risk. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 1169 1170 1171 1172 1173 1174 1175 1176 1177 1178 1179 1180 1181 1182 1183 1184 1185 1186 1187 1188 1189 1190 1191 1192 1193 1194 1195 1196 1197 1198 1199 1200 1201 1202 1203 1204 1205 1206 1207 1208 1209 1210 1211 1212 1213 1214 1215 1216 1217 1218 [1219] 1220 1221 1222 1223 1224 1225 1226 1227 1228 1229 1230 1231 1232 1233 1234 1235 1236 1237 1238 1239 1240 1241 1242 1243 1244 1245 1246 1247 1248 1249 1250 1251 1252 1253 1254 1255 1256 1257 1258 1259 1260 1261 1262 1263 1264 1265 1266 1267 1268 1269 ... 1984 »
  Print  
Author Topic: 🧅 [ONION] Privacy Coin with Real Use Cases 🔥 LIMITED SUPPLY Privacy Project ⚡  (Read 297759 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (61 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
shtako

Activity: 779
Merit: 502

View Profile
May 12, 2018, 08:41:24 PM

Should I upgrade this wallet every time if I'm just holding some coins?

No reason to upgrade if you don't plan too stake or move coins. Just upgrade the next time you need too move coins.
wrong. It is a mandatory upgrade Wink

it's a mandatory update but as long as you have your private key(s) your are fine. If you don't plan to send coins and you're not staking them you don't have to update anything. Every wallet works this way.

Anyway, for all the others: Update your wallet guys!
Sooner rather than later he will be sending coins anyways so why not do it now lol. Besides it only takes 2 minutes, you only download the ZIP file. Replace the old wallet with the new one and you are good ( if you have your wallet.dat in %appdata% it will sync automatically )

His question was whether he should update if he plans to hold only, the answer is no. Not everyone is able to stay on date with all the update we have.
You are making it harder than it is lol.

Devs: This is a mandatory upgrade.
JJack@: ok
JJack@: Thanks, it took 2 minutes and my coins are now safer!

Cheesy

You seem to lack basic understanding of how DeepOnion (bitcoin) works. There is a lot of good arguments why you should upgrade. That the coins are safer is simply not true. Your coins are much safer without an upgraded wallet installed on your computer.

If you plan to hodl your coins you should encrypt your wallet.dat, and delete the wallet from your online computer. (And only install when you plan too send the coins. If he wants to send the coins 2 years from now, there will problably be a lot of hard forks before that. It is a complete waiste of time installing every upgrade and it is risky storing private keys on an online computer.
No offence but while your argument is true that a wallet that is offline is safest, your argument is also flawed. DeepOnion is a PoS coin so needs to be online at some point to claim the mining reward, a wallet stored offline for years on end will miss out. Secondly, it is my humble opinion, which I know many security experts support, that there is no such thing as a perfect piece of code especially as it becomes more than a few 100 lines. The fact that you need to have your wallet online for reasons other than sending means it is very important any security risks caused by human error in the code need to be fixed if found, rather than left for someone to exploit, this exploit could lead to someone hacking your wallet and stealing your coins, so yes, there is a great possibility upgrading your wallet will make your coins safer.

Unless we know what security risks were patched, it is difficult to say that this fix did not make our coins safer.

You are right, 10% of PoS rewards (which will change to 5% in July and later to 1%) is not a small percentage for holders. Also, updated wallet which is online is a ToR node (not an exit node) which makes the whole network stronger.

Most people should definitely upgrade and stake their coins. But if someone just wants to hodl, like bbv4pawn, it is not necessary. And that was what he asked about. Smiley

Big holders will upgrade and stake their coins. If some smaller holders don't it will not reduce the security of the coin in any signifcant way.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
hous26

Activity: 462
Merit: 115

View Profile
May 12, 2018, 08:42:11 PM

My wallet keeps syncing.  Is it because I use 1.7.1.0?
chacha66

Activity: 83
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 12, 2018, 08:43:57 PM

Ive tried backing up my wallet numerous times but I keep getting this enet link that dosnt mean anything. Ive tried a hundred times. Still the same problem. Im not a newbie . I dont know  : (
urbanpixel

Activity: 200
Merit: 11

schneider

View Profile
May 12, 2018, 08:47:44 PM

Probably not, did you update the nodes when you moved to 1.7.1.0? Or simply download the 1.7.1.1 and give it a try...

▐▐   ▬▬▬▬▬   DeepOnion   ▬▬▬▬▬   ▌▌
████    40 PUBLIC AIRDROPS COMPLETED    TOR INTEGRATED    ████
▬▬▬▬   (✔) DeepVault Blockchain File Signatures  •  VoteCentral Your Vote Counts  •  deeponion.org   ▬▬▬▬
cl37007

Activity: 364
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 12, 2018, 08:49:44 PM

No reason to upgrade if you don't plan too stake or move coins. Just upgrade the next time you need too move coins.

it's a mandatory update but as long as you have your private key(s) your are fine. If you don't plan to send coins and you're not staking them you don't have to update anything. Every wallet works this way.

Sooner rather than later he will be sending coins anyways so why not do it now lol. Besides it only takes 2 minutes, you only download the ZIP file. Replace the old wallet with the new one and you are good ( if you have your wallet.dat in %appdata% it will sync automatically )

His question was whether he should update if he plans to hold only, the answer is no. Not everyone is able to stay on date with all the update we have.

Cheesy

You seem to lack basic understanding of how DeepOnion (bitcoin) works. There is a lot of good arguments why you should upgrade. That the coins are safer is simply not true. Your coins are much safer without an upgraded wallet installed on your computer.

If you plan to hodl your coins you should encrypt your wallet.dat, and delete the wallet from your online computer. (And only install when you plan too send the coins. If he wants to send the coins 2 years from now, there will problably be a lot of hard forks before that. It is a complete waiste of time installing every upgrade and it is risky storing private keys on an online computer.
No offence but while your argument is true that a wallet that is offline is safest, your argument is also flawed. DeepOnion is a PoS coin so needs to be online at some point to claim the mining reward, a wallet stored offline for years on end will miss out. Secondly, it is my humble opinion, which I know many security experts support, that there is no such thing as a perfect piece of code especially as it becomes more than a few 100 lines. The fact that you need to have your wallet online for reasons other than sending means it is very important any security risks caused by human error in the code need to be fixed if found, rather than left for someone to exploit, this exploit could lead to someone hacking your wallet and stealing your coins, so yes, there is a great possibility upgrading your wallet will make your coins safer.

Unless we know what security risks were patched, it is difficult to say that this fix did not make our coins safer.

You are right, 10% of PoS rewards (which will change to 5% in July and later to 1%) is not a small percentage for holders. Also, updated wallet which is online is a ToR node (not an exit node) which makes the whole network stronger.

Most people should definitely upgrade and stake their coins. But if someone just wants to hodl, like bbv4pawn, it is not necessary. And that was what he asked about. Smiley

Big holders will upgrade and stake their coins. If some smaller holders don't it will not reduce the security of the coin in any signifcant way.
Yes agreed, if you do not plan to stake or spend your coins there is no great reason to have a wallet with all of your ONION online and if you aren't using the wallet regularly the benefit to having the latest wallet is diminished.

DeepOnion    ▬▬  Anonymous and Untraceable  ▬▬    ENJOY YOUR PRIVACY  •  JOIN DEEPONION
▐▐▐▐▐▐▐▐   ANN  Whitepaper  Facebook  Twitter  Telegram  Discord    ▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌
Get $ONION  (✔Cryptopia  ✔KuCoin)  |  VoteCentral  Register NOW!  |  Download DeepOnion
urbanpixel

schneider

View Profile
May 12, 2018, 08:49:48 PM

Ive tried backing up my wallet numerous times but I keep getting this enet link that dosnt mean anything. Ive tried a hundred times. Still the same problem. Im not a newbie . I dont know  : (

Are you talking about the desktop wallet or mobile wallet?

I don't understand what you mean by "enet link"? Please tell us what you were doing so we could help you and sort this out for you.

▬▬▬▬   (✔) DeepVault Blockchain File Signatures  •  VoteCentral Your Vote Counts  •  deeponion.org   ▬▬▬▬
cl37007

View Profile
May 12, 2018, 08:54:06 PM

The GUI wallet backup feature works fine for me in 1.7.1.1. You can also backup your wallet in windows by navigating to %appdata% then going into the deeponion folder and taking a copy of the wallet.dat

DeepOnion    ▬▬  Anonymous and Untraceable  ▬▬    ENJOY YOUR PRIVACY  •  JOIN DEEPONION
Get $ONION  (✔Cryptopia  ✔KuCoin)  |  VoteCentral  Register NOW!  |  Download DeepOnion
cl37007

View Profile
May 12, 2018, 08:58:01 PM

Are you syncing for the first time? This can take quite a while
Are you connected to any nodes? Cheer your peers under the debug window

Globee07

Activity: 397

View Profile
May 12, 2018, 08:58:47 PM

Hating the sudden bear run for all Crypto.
But yeah, we all signed up for this.
haha
Wouldnt say ' bear ' we are just cooling down a little. We have been going up a lot in the past weeks
Smiley
They say before every storm there is the moment of calm.
This is not down... If you want to see a real DOWN... go check bitconnect's graph...

Price reduced because some (or maybe one) weak hand got scared and decided to sell thinking it will drops further... we are still above the previously flatlined 0.00022000 satoshis so I think we are good...

This is just a dip due to the Mt. Gox and Upbit FUD...also 22k satoshis seem to be the baseline for DeepOnion Smiley which isn't bad for a coin that thousands of people got for free Tongue

▐▐▐▐▐▐▐▐   ANN  Whitepaper  Facebook  Twitter  Telegram  Discord   ▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌
urbanpixel

schneider

View Profile
May 12, 2018, 09:12:36 PM

haha
Wouldnt say ' bear ' we are just cooling down a little. We have been going up a lot in the past weeks
Smiley
This is not down... If you want to see a real DOWN... go check bitconnect's graph...

Price reduced because some (or maybe one) weak hand got scared and decided to sell thinking it will drops further... we are still above the previously flatlined 0.00022000 satoshis so I think we are good...

This is just a dip due to the Mt. Gox and Upbit FUD...also 22k satoshis seem to be the baseline for DeepOnion Smiley which isn't bad for a coin that thousands of people got for free Tongue

Yeah, with all the dips since January the support was always around 22K $ats and from that base it can only go up.

Noelnada

Activity: 336
Merit: 12

View Profile
May 12, 2018, 09:16:22 PM

haha
Smiley

Yeah, with all the dips since January the support was always around 22K $ats and from that base it can only go up.

I wish we could move at a higher support though, like 31k sats or something like that.  Cheesy

⚡⚡ PRiVCY ⚡⚡   ▂▃▅▆█ ✅ PRiVCY (PRIV) is a new PoW/PoS revolutionary privacy project ● ☞ ✅ Best privacy crypto-market! ● █▆▅▃▂
    Own Your Privacy! ─────────────────║ WebsiteGithub  |  Bitcointalk  |  Twitter  |  Discord  |  Explorer ║─────────────────
   ✯✯✯✯✯                 ✈✈✈[Free Airdrop - Starts 9th June]✅[Tor]✈✈✈ ║───────────║ Wallet ➢ ✓ Windows  |  ✓ macOS  |  ✓ Linux
kc999991

Activity: 224

View Profile
May 12, 2018, 09:18:26 PM

Here's some safety tips if you are using a Raspberry Pi to stake your ONIONs: https://deeponion.org/community/threads/tutorial-add-security-layer-on-your-rasperry.37336/#post-604646

Keep safe your coins guys!

Thanks for the tips, actually thinking of getting one to stake me onions.
cl37007

View Profile
May 12, 2018, 09:27:15 PM

Here's some safety tips if you are using a Raspberry Pi to stake your ONIONs: https://deeponion.org/community/threads/tutorial-add-security-layer-on-your-rasperry.37336/#post-604646

The Pi is a great way to stake ONIONs, cheap to purchase and low power consumption.

It's great when the community helps each other out to be safer online too. Great advice

urbanpixel

schneider

View Profile
May 12, 2018, 09:32:16 PM

The Pi is a great way to stake ONIONs, cheap to purchase and low power consumption.

It's great when the community helps each other out to be safer online too. Great advice

I have cheap electricity so staking on a PC is not a problem but I will set up my rPi when I get some time, just for the fun of it...

hous26

Activity: 462
Merit: 115

View Profile
May 12, 2018, 09:38:12 PM

I have cheap electricity so staking on a PC is not a problem but I will set up my rPi when I get some time, just for the fun of it...

The electricity required to run a computer in rest mode is negligible anyways no matter where you live.
kc999991

View Profile
May 12, 2018, 09:50:07 PM

As long as the user has a backup of the old wallet, then the old wallet can be replaced with the new one! but the user shouldn't follow this idea of replacing himself manually a new wallet (from a new version) for the old one. The old one has his coins, the new one is empty. just trying to alert here, but normally when a new version is released and if you install it, it will pull or sync your wallet balance from the roaming folder.

Always make a back up from your deeponion wallet and also can it be made from your roaming folder, copy the wallet file from roaming - deeponion folder and the private key from onion folder.

If you back up your private key and wallet.dat file, you can keep the same backup and don't have to redo one every time you install a new version. (but probably better to do it if you create new addresses all the time)

There is a benefit to taking regular backups of your wallet (and keeping them all). If one gets corrupted then you always have another. Taking a copy of your private keys is always a good idea too

Correct. We all need to expect the worst and have a contingency plan to protect our onions.
kc999991

View Profile
May 12, 2018, 09:52:02 PM

The electricity required to run a computer in rest mode is negligible anyways no matter where you live.

By the way do you guys stake with different wallet addresses or just one main one?
Gardar

Activity: 168
Merit: 13

View Profile
May 12, 2018, 10:04:41 PM

By the way do you guys stake with different wallet addresses or just one main one?

I do it in my main one

▐▐▐▐▐▐▐▐   ANN  Whitepaper  Facebook  Twitter  Telegram  Discord   ▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌
urbanpixel

schneider

View Profile
May 12, 2018, 10:13:40 PM

That is true but compared to a 2MAh phone charger that powers rPi PC power supply does spend more electricity, radiates more heat and makes more noise, so there are many additional benefits of staking on a small, silent machine...

t3ChNo

Activity: 714
Merit: 252

View Profile
May 12, 2018, 10:30:21 PM

Cheesy

Just upgraded my wallet to the latest version, it's working perfectly.
Pages: « 1 ... 1169 1170 1171 1172 1173 1174 1175 1176 1177 1178 1179 1180 1181 1182 1183 1184 1185 1186 1187 1188 1189 1190 1191 1192 1193 1194 1195 1196 1197 1198 1199 1200 1201 1202 1203 1204 1205 1206 1207 1208 1209 1210 1211 1212 1213 1214 1215 1216 1217 1218 [1219] 1220 1221 1222 1223 1224 1225 1226 1227 1228 1229 1230 1231 1232 1233 1234 1235 1236 1237 1238 1239 1240 1241 1242 1243 1244 1245 1246 1247 1248 1249 1250 1251 1252 1253 1254 1255 1256 1257 1258 1259 1260 1261 1262 1263 1264 1265 1266 1267 1268 1269 ... 1984 »
  Print  

Jump to: