Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 12:31:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I need web hosting help  (Read 5557 times)
anthony.selby

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 10:23:06 PM

Just let me know what your service is and if you do go with godaddy ... I'll stay away

I have all kinds of problems with godaddy, database drop outs, site doesn't reply, just weird issues and the minute you start to look in to it ... its magically fixed

just have a look at all the sites on 1 godaddy ip http://www.websitelooker.com/ip/97.74.177.1/1 (there are 3 pages)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
whenhowwho

Activity: 96
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 10:31:04 PM

Godaddy isnt all that bad. I have some hosting with them as an experiment I have root access and etc. The only thing i would say about them is they do not handle load balancing very well as sometimes are quite slow. Most people that have issue's can be listed under the category PBUAK (problem between user and keyboard) in other words user error. Still if you are going to run a site like that which i think you have in mind you should get a dedicated box. You can find them relatively cheap if you look around. Google is your friend

1HUy7T9SyNLTJCVX3p8KzftApYdWgcsRqD
edd
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2011, 10:37:13 PM

I was reluctant to reply when this thread was first created because I was sure the many individuals who offer hosting would jump at the opportunity to solicit your business, but since they haven't...

I can offer you webhosting that would match your needs for 1 BTC a month and I'm willing to adjust that price each month in accordance with the going exchange rate.

PM me for more details.

Still around.
error

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 02:58:49 AM

You can get an Amazon AWS 'micro' instance free for a year. That's plenty enough time to get a project off the ground and either have it outgrow the instance or fail. Smiley

3KzNGwzRZ6SimWuFAgh4TnXzHpruHMZmV8
TheBitMan (OP)

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 03:11:45 AM

You can get an Amazon AWS 'micro' instance free for a year. That's plenty enough time to get a project off the ground and either have it outgrow the instance or fail. Smiley
Link? And how much after that?
whenhowwho

Activity: 96

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 03:14:26 AM

your best bet would be to get the best hosting you can afford. Your site is only going to be as good as its host it is slow people are going to time out and etc trying to get there which does you no good.

1HUy7T9SyNLTJCVX3p8KzftApYdWgcsRqD
error

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 03:24:00 AM

Link? And how much after that?

https://aws.amazon.com/free/

Chick

Activity: 70

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 03:37:17 AM

Amazon micro instance = baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaad performance.

All I have to say.

error

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 03:38:46 AM

Amazon micro instance = baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaad performance.

All I have to say.

The "performance" is exactly as described. It's doing a small VoIP server for me just fine. You just can't hog 100% of the CPU, and most things don't.

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2011, 04:05:57 AM

Well godaddy is only like 5 bucks a month.. Thats cheap and im makin a site that would run like bitcoindouble.com

bitcoindouble.com is hosted at nationalnet.com Here is a review: http://www.000webhost.com/directory/reviews/national-net.com

Notice on the left is the top 10 list. I use #3 and rarely had a problem. The few times I did, it was handle very quickly by there service department. They have always been friendly and helpful.

I will always register with Godaddy and host at HostGator useless I have a project that would be better suited for a different hosting outfit.

Hope this helps with your search for hosting and good luck with your project.

When you hit any stumbling blocks (and you will), you know you can return to this forum where the kind folks here will help you out any way they can.

BTW, if any one has an objection to hosting at HostGator, please voice your opinion along with the reason(s) why. Thank you.
Nagle
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2011, 04:39:40 AM

First off, the Bitcoin daemon does not have to run as "root". Nor should it run as "root". It should have its own user.  See
"http://www.austinheap.com/assets/coins/531b6341e653b7b57a8f7f5cc3da79d9.pdf" for install instructions for CentOS, which is what you usually get from a hosting provider today.

Second, does the original poster need a Bitcoin daemon?

Avoid GoDaddy.

If you have a modest web site and don't need a continuously running program like the Bitcoin daemon, HostGator is a good entry-level choice. They start at about $4 per month.   Dreamhost is considered good, and more developer-friendly than most other low-cost hosting services. When you get serious and need dedicated servers, talk to Rackspace, Codero, or Hurricane Electric.

I run my minor web sites on HostGator accounts; the big stuff is on dedicated servers at Codero.
semarjt

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 04:52:07 AM

Whats the bitcoin daemon? Huh Embarrassed
I dont have linux and whats a gui lol

Um, what's your website name again?
Chick

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 05:08:30 AM

First off, the Bitcoin daemon does not have to run as "root". Nor should it run as "root". It should have its own user.  See
"http://www.austinheap.com/assets/coins/531b6341e653b7b57a8f7f5cc3da79d9.pdf" for install instructions for CentOS, which is what you usually get from a hosting provider today.

Second, does the original poster need a Bitcoin daemon?

Avoid GoDaddy.

If you have a modest web site and don't need a continuously running program like the Bitcoin daemon, HostGator is a good entry-level choice. They start at about $4 per month.   Dreamhost is considered good, and more developer-friendly than most other low-cost hosting services. When you get serious and need dedicated servers, talk to Rackspace, Codero, or Hurricane Electric.

I run my minor web sites on HostGator accounts; the big stuff is on dedicated servers at Codero.

You need to have root access in order to 'create' a user to run the bitcoin daemon.

DonnyCMU

Activity: 143
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 05:13:51 AM

Nodaddy!!!

If you don't need the cloud thingy, I traditionally go with Hostgator.. I believe they're the fastest and most reliable.
Chick

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 05:14:50 AM
Last edit: July 08, 2011, 05:36:25 AM by Chick

I believe they're the fastest and most reliable.

Cry

You're the first to make me cryonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonline today...

DonnyCMU

Activity: 143
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 06:22:14 AM

You're the first to make me cryonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonlineonline today...

No? I did quite extensive research on traditional (non-cloud) hosting a year back and I thought it's a pretty good consensus that Hostgator, although a bit pricier than most, has the best respond time and good service.
TheBitMan (OP)

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 02:35:49 PM

I signed up for the Amazon one. But from here I have no clue on what to do Huh
joepie91

Activity: 294

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 02:45:31 PM

Hi OP- might I recommend that you use Cinfu.com?

I just bought a domain from them but of course they do hosting and private servers as well. I used them because they accept Bitcoin... and the transaction was very easy. I have a few dozen domain names at GoDaddy... I've always used them, but I may just migrate them to a new host like Cinfu because they accept the good coin Smiley

I can second this. I currently have a (hidden) IRC hub running on a Cinfu VPS (their smallest plan) and it's been very reliable so far. Payment (in Bitcoins of course) was also very easy.

Another one to recommend is Ramhost, even though they do not accept Bitcoins (yet!). I have no experience with their shared hosting, but I've heard good things about it, and I've been a happy VPS customer for over 1,5 years with them now (currently have 5 VPSes with them of varying specifications).

Also joining in on the rest: no matter what you do, stay away from GoDaddy. They fall in the same category as LunarHost, BlueHost, Hostgator, and all these other hosts like them. They are known for aggressive marketing, unreliable services (reliable enough for a weblog, but not for anything serious), varying customer service, and more than once I've heard people complain about billing issues with GoDaddy hosting.

As far an Amazon instance, you will have to set up a webserver yourself... I am not sure how Amazon instances work, but assuming they work like regular VPSes (and run Debian) you can simply google 'lighttpd php mysql debian' to get a tutorial for a fairly simple webserver setup... you may want to have someone who knows how to use Linux help you with this.

Can you describe the kind of thing you want to host more specifically? It helps if people know what exactly you want to do with the hosting Tongue

Also, stay clear from any host that offers you unlimited disk space or is otherwise offering things that seem too good to be true. While hosting can be cheap (look at Ramhost and Cinfu), these 'screaming marketing' websites are usually this aggressive on marketing for a reason, and try to lock you into a 1-year (or longer) hosting plan. I believe both Ramhost and Cinfu offer monthly plans where you can cancel at any time. "If it looks too good to be true, it usually is."

For those wondering why unlimited disk space is bad... when was the last time you saw an unlimited harddrive in your local electronics store?

Like my post(s)? 12TSXLa5Tu6ag4PNYCwKKSiZsaSCpAjzpu Smiley
Quote from: hawks5999
I just can't wait for fall/winter. My furnace never generated money for me before. I'll keep mining until my furnace is more profitable.
TheBitMan (OP)

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 02:48:46 PM

Hi OP- might I recommend that you use Cinfu.com?

I just bought a domain from them but of course they do hosting and private servers as well. I used them because they accept Bitcoin... and the transaction was very easy. I have a few dozen domain names at GoDaddy... I've always used them, but I may just migrate them to a new host like Cinfu because they accept the good coin Smiley

I can second this. I currently have a (hidden) IRC hub running on a Cinfu VPS (their smallest plan) and it's been very reliable so far. Payment (in Bitcoins of course) was also very easy.

Another one to recommend is Ramhost, even though they do not accept Bitcoins (yet!). I have no experience with their shared hosting, but I've heard good things about it, and I've been a happy VPS customer for over 1,5 years with them now (currently have 5 VPSes with them of varying specifications).

Also joining in on the rest: no matter what you do, stay away from GoDaddy. They fall in the same category as LunarHost, BlueHost, Hostgator, and all these other hosts like them. They are known for aggressive marketing, unreliable services (reliable enough for a weblog, but not for anything serious), varying customer service, and more than once I've heard people complain about billing issues with GoDaddy hosting.

As far an Amazon instance, you will have to set up a webserver yourself... I am not sure how Amazon instances work, but assuming they work like regular VPSes (and run Debian) you can simply google 'lighttpd php mysql debian' to get a tutorial for a fairly simple webserver setup... you may want to have someone who knows how to use Linux help you with this.

Can you describe the kind of thing you want to host more specifically? It helps if people know what exactly you want to do with the hosting Tongue

Also, stay clear from any host that offers you unlimited disk space or is otherwise offering things that seem too good to be true. While hosting can be cheap (look at Ramhost and Cinfu), these 'screaming marketing' websites are usually this aggressive on marketing for a reason, and try to lock you into a 1-year (or longer) hosting plan. I believe both Ramhost and Cinfu offer monthly plans where you can cancel at any time. "If it looks too good to be true, it usually is."

For those wondering why unlimited disk space is bad... when was the last time you saw an unlimited harddrive in your local electronics store?
I want to make a game that you can bet btc and pick a number from 1-3 and you win back double it would use bitcoinbalance.com if the owner emails me back for withdrawals and deposits.
elk-tamer

Activity: 87

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 02:53:18 PM

I've never had a problem with godaddy. The sites I've run there are just php/mysql though. At the very least it's very inexpensive and easy to set something up there.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: