Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 02:02:13 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I need web hosting help  (Read 5557 times)
joepie91

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 03:02:46 PM

Hi OP- might I recommend that you use Cinfu.com?

I just bought a domain from them but of course they do hosting and private servers as well. I used them because they accept Bitcoin... and the transaction was very easy. I have a few dozen domain names at GoDaddy... I've always used them, but I may just migrate them to a new host like Cinfu because they accept the good coin Smiley

I can second this. I currently have a (hidden) IRC hub running on a Cinfu VPS (their smallest plan) and it's been very reliable so far. Payment (in Bitcoins of course) was also very easy.

Another one to recommend is Ramhost, even though they do not accept Bitcoins (yet!). I have no experience with their shared hosting, but I've heard good things about it, and I've been a happy VPS customer for over 1,5 years with them now (currently have 5 VPSes with them of varying specifications).

Also joining in on the rest: no matter what you do, stay away from GoDaddy. They fall in the same category as LunarHost, BlueHost, Hostgator, and all these other hosts like them. They are known for aggressive marketing, unreliable services (reliable enough for a weblog, but not for anything serious), varying customer service, and more than once I've heard people complain about billing issues with GoDaddy hosting.

As far an Amazon instance, you will have to set up a webserver yourself... I am not sure how Amazon instances work, but assuming they work like regular VPSes (and run Debian) you can simply google 'lighttpd php mysql debian' to get a tutorial for a fairly simple webserver setup... you may want to have someone who knows how to use Linux help you with this.

Can you describe the kind of thing you want to host more specifically? It helps if people know what exactly you want to do with the hosting Tongue

Also, stay clear from any host that offers you unlimited disk space or is otherwise offering things that seem too good to be true. While hosting can be cheap (look at Ramhost and Cinfu), these 'screaming marketing' websites are usually this aggressive on marketing for a reason, and try to lock you into a 1-year (or longer) hosting plan. I believe both Ramhost and Cinfu offer monthly plans where you can cancel at any time. "If it looks too good to be true, it usually is."

For those wondering why unlimited disk space is bad... when was the last time you saw an unlimited harddrive in your local electronics store?
I want to make a game that you can bet btc and pick a number from 1-3 and you win back double it would use bitcoinbalance.com if the owner emails me back for withdrawals and deposits.
Okay. I'm not entirely sure how BitcoinBalance works, this is probably a question you should be asking them (BitcoinBalance). My guess is going to be that you will need to use cURL.

I'd just wait until you have a response from BitcoinBalance as to what the requirements are to use their system (specifically ask for any PHP extensions that may be needed).
After that, you can decide on where to host it. If it only requires something like cURL it would probably be best to go with something like Ramhost shared (you should ask them if they have cURL support beforehand though). If you need to run any specialized software, something like a free Amazon instance may be an option - but be aware that if you use an Amazon instance, you will have to learn to set up and maintain a server on your own.

As for the pricetag, Ramhost's smallest shared package would be enough, and is $0,75 per month (you pay per year though, probably because of transaction costs, so that would be $9 for a year of hosting). That wouldn't include a domain though, so you'd have to get one elsewhere (at GoDaddy, or Internet.bs for example) and just point it at the Ramhost nameservers (which is 5 minutes of work). Total pricetag would be around $21 for a year for both the hosting and domain, assuming you'd get the domain at GoDaddy.

EDIT: Best to not order anything before you are sure about what the requirements are... so I'd just wait for the response from BitcoinBalance first.

Like my post(s)? 12TSXLa5Tu6ag4PNYCwKKSiZsaSCpAjzpu Smiley
Quote from: hawks5999
I just can't wait for fall/winter. My furnace never generated money for me before. I'll keep mining until my furnace is more profitable.
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
TheBitMan (OP)

Activity: 280

View Profile
July 09, 2011, 09:33:29 PM

I have signed up and been approved for amazon webs services I dont know what to do now..
Chick

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 09, 2011, 09:37:26 PM

I have signed up and been approved for amazon webs services I dont know what to do now..

Now, you go create a micro ec2 instance.

TheBitMan (OP)

View Profile
July 09, 2011, 09:38:25 PM

on that page now..
Chick

View Profile
July 09, 2011, 09:42:10 PM

on that page now..

Now install any distro, update security packages, and download bitcoind. You'll be all set.

TheBitMan (OP)

View Profile
July 09, 2011, 09:44:29 PM

im new to all of this soooo..what? lol Embarrassed
TheBitMan (OP)

View Profile
July 09, 2011, 09:55:54 PM

on that page now..

Now install any distro, update security packages, and download bitcoind. You'll be all set.
Can you tell me the steps to get all those?
Chick

View Profile
July 09, 2011, 10:20:21 PM

on that page now..

Go install Ubuntu 11.04 on the micro instance.

To update the security packages
Code:
apt-get update
apt-get upgrade

To add a new user
Code:
adduser bitcoin

Now exit from ssh and login using the 'bitcoin' user.

Code:
cd ~
wget http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/bitcoin/Bitcoin/bitcoin-0.3.24/bitcoin-0.3.24-linux.tar.gz
tar -zxvf bitcoin-0.3.24-linux.tar.gz
cd bitcoin-0.3.24/bin

Now I don't know if your OS is x86 / x32 or x64 so choose the correct directory.

Code:
cd 64 #or 32 if your OS is x32 / x86
su
mv bitcoind /usr/local/bin
cd ~
rm -rf bitcoin-0.3.24
rm -f bitcoin-0.3.24-linux.tar.gz
cd /usr/local/bin
./bitcoind -daemon

That will run in the background, but I would also go with something like monit to make sure it runs 24/7.

TheBitMan (OP)

View Profile
July 09, 2011, 10:34:42 PM

on that page now..

Go install Ubuntu 11.04 on the micro instance.

To update the security packages
Code:
apt-get update
apt-get upgrade

To add a new user
Code:
adduser bitcoin

Now exit from ssh and login using the 'bitcoin' user.

Code:
cd ~
wget http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/bitcoin/Bitcoin/bitcoin-0.3.24/bitcoin-0.3.24-linux.tar.gz
tar -zxvf bitcoin-0.3.24-linux.tar.gz
cd bitcoin-0.3.24/bin

Now I don't know if your OS is x86 / x32 or x64 so choose the correct directory.

Code:
cd 64 #or 32 if your OS is x32 / x86
su
mv bitcoind /usr/local/bin
cd ~
rm -rf bitcoin-0.3.24
rm -f bitcoin-0.3.24-linux.tar.gz
cd /usr/local/bin
./bitcoind -daemon

That will run in the background, but I would also go with something like monit to make sure it runs 24/7.
don't see micro instance anywhere.. sorry i am brand new at this
Chick

View Profile
July 09, 2011, 10:41:18 PM

Press 'Launch Instance' and select a 32bit OS. Then, you will see the t1.micro instance option.

TheBitMan (OP)

View Profile
July 09, 2011, 10:45:46 PM

Press 'Launch Instance' and select a 32bit OS. Then, you will see the t1.micro instance option.
key pair? and do I have to fill out all that stuff before key pair?
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: