Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 03:46:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Newbie Questions re Generating Speed  (Read 1928 times)
HarryStottle (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 08, 2011, 01:28:10 PM

First post. Impressed with the elegance of the concept and the simplicity of implementation. Already punted it to about 50 friends.

Installed a bitcoin node and have been generating since Tuesday. Naturally wondered how long it takes to generate a coin. Went looking and found, according to the online calculator, that it will take about a year at my current rate of 4400 khashes/s - which I've already seen in the forum referred to as "very slow".

Also found refs on the forum to others generating 50 coins a year and using gpus capable of running 60 mhashes/s instead of cpus.

I appreciate that gpus are a faster option, but how would someone - who's never dabbled in that side of computing - exploit the gpus in our own system? I have two graphics cards in my system, an NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT and an ATI Radeon HD 4300 (which is primarily there to speak to my TV so it's available most of the time). Are either suitable?  (or do you have to dedicate a machine explicitly to the task)

And, in any case, is 4400 the kind of rate we'd expect from a modern CPU? It's an I7 quad core 2.8Ghz. Initially I allowed it to use 2 cores only, but the rate was only 2300, so I permitted the other 2 to join in. If it's relevant, I'm running Win 7 Ult and have 12Gb Ram installed.

Oh and one final question. Do the references I've seen to "Mining" mean "generating"?
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Anonymous

January 08, 2011, 01:39:36 PM

You could join the mining pool and get coins the communistic way lol.

Where did you hear about bitcoin? Im always curious about how people found out.  Smiley

The best way to "generate" is to offer goods and services or a skill you have in exchange for bitcoins.

Theres also the #bitcoin-dev irc room on freenode if youre game.

Mining=Generating.

Mining with a cpu is pretty much useless. Fire up your gpu's instead . Smiley
Mahkul

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

Every saint has a past. Every sinner has a future.

View Profile
January 08, 2011, 02:24:49 PM

I appreciate that gpus are a faster option, but how would someone - who's never dabbled in that side of computing - exploit the gpus in our own system? I have two graphics cards in my system, an NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT and an ATI Radeon HD 4300 (which is primarily there to speak to my TV so it's available most of the time). Are either suitable?  (or do you have to dedicate a machine explicitly to the task)

In order to mine with GPU your card must be compatible with either OpenCL (ATI) or CUDA (NVidia). You can check that here:

NVidia CUDA: http://www.nvidia.com/object/cuda_gpus.html
Ati OpenCL: http://developer.amd.com/gpu/ATIStreamSDK/pages/DriverCompatibility.aspx

Once you verify that it is compatible, just do a search on the forum for GPU miner and you will find a few of them along with the instructions on how to install and use them. I personally use m0mchil's miner: http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1334

And, in any case, is 4400 the kind of rate we'd expect from a modern CPU? It's an I7 quad core 2.8Ghz. Initially I allowed it to use 2 cores only, but the rate was only 2300, so I permitted the other 2 to join in. If it's relevant, I'm running Win 7 Ult and have 12Gb Ram installed.

Yes, it is. CPU mining doesn't make sense anymore, IMHO.
hook

Activity: 26

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2011, 03:39:50 PM

Theres also the #bitcoin-dev irc room on freenode if youre game.

Game for what?
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
January 08, 2011, 09:51:48 PM

Oh and one final question. Do the references I've seen to "Mining" mean "generating"?

Yes.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
HarryStottle (OP)

Activity: 2

View Profile
January 09, 2011, 01:55:38 AM

thankyou comrades, for the comprehensive and comprehensible answers. Apparently my Nvidia supports CUDA so I'm downloading the latest 64 bit drivers to give it a whirl. Expect screams and falling hair in the not too distant future...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: