Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 11:51:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Some wonderings about mining--HELP?  (Read 617 times)
monbux (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1024

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2013, 03:32:52 PM

New to mining bitcoin but not the currency itself... I was just wondering:

Is bitcoin mining bad for laptops? Does it slow your computer down faster?

and LTC mining.. I just don't get it I have no idea how to work the CGminer... Sad

And mining, how much extra power would it take?  How much more expense would it put to my electricity bill?

Stupid and stubborn questions but I need an answer xD

Last but not least, how long would one of these https://www.btcguild.com/index.php?page=store last me?
and does any one of you guys have any tips and tricks in CPU mining; how to mine more/faster, how to make the noise softer, ETC?

Posted in newbie but I thought here would be better.
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
drawingthesun
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 03:47:56 PM

Mining on a laptop is bad, it will overheat and something will break, anyway mining bitcoin with anything other than an ASIC device is pointless now, and those USB miners are ASIC but so expensive you will never break even, better keeping the bitcoin in your wallet.

Also you want a dedicated GPU for Litecoin mining, again the laptop might make 1 Litecoin a month if its top of the range.
c789

Activity: 850
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 08:40:56 PM

To use cgminer for LTC, you need follow the directions in the cgminer readme, and when you get to the compiling point:
Code:
CFLAGS="-O2 -Wall -march=native" ./configure <options>
Type in this instead:
Code:
CFLAGS="-O2 -Wall -march=native" ./configure --enable-scrypt

Then, go here and it will configure the command you need to run: https://www.litecoinpool.org/minerconfig

As for power usage, I had to stop all of my GPUs from running since it's so hot in the summer now. I had a setup with just one 6670 GPU in a 10x12 room and even that made a noticeable difference of a few degrees in the temp you felt when walking into the room...and that was with the door to the room opened. Maybe when the winter comes and I need the heat I'll fire it back up, but definitely not until then.

I agree that you shouldn't use your laptop's GPU for mining. You won't get that good of a hash rate anyway, and laptops just weren't made for the heat and wear that mining will cause.

Comparison of Privacy-Centric Coins: https://moneroforcash.com/monero-vs-dash-vs-zcash-vs-bitcoinmixers.php also includes Verge and Pivx
CrashX

Activity: 238
Merit: 101

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 09:21:08 PM

Mining on a laptop is bad, it will overheat and something will break, anyway mining bitcoin with anything other than an ASIC device is pointless now, and those USB miners are ASIC but so expensive you will never break even, better keeping the bitcoin in your wallet.

Also you want a dedicated GPU for Litecoin mining, again the laptop might make 1 Litecoin a month if its top of the range.

drawing is right.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: