Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 08:02:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: eBay Antminer S7, Item damaged on arrival - anything i can do?!?  (Read 136 times)
Oscamacoin (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 08:14:38 PM
Last edit: January 03, 2018, 08:25:11 PM by Oscamacoin

(Modertors: So sorry if I posted this in the wrong forum, i wasn't sure where this type of thing should go and I realy wanted to get some feedback from knowledgeable folks. So sorry if i got it in the wrong spot.)

I recently purchased an Antminer S7 on eBay from what appeared to a reputable seller with thousands of positive reviews.

HOWEVER, everything did not arrive as described... Here are the details... Has anyone had any experience with purchasing these types of items on eBay? What are the chances ebay will make things right with buyer protection if this guy tries to screw me?

The description had many positive things to say but some of the highlights were...
“Used Antminer S7 in « A » WORKING condition! and in « B » Looking condition HAVE small scratches and dust but does NOT affect performance of the miner.This was pulled from a rack of equipment mining at full hashrate. Sold as-is, no warranty, no returns.”

Also at the bottom this was said:
Warranty and Returns
There is no warranty on miners/psu as those are used. Asap you receive the miner, please test it and confirm us its working. If you don’t confirm us after 72h that miner is working we’ll consider all is good
No Returns are accepted.

Long story short... The miner arrived with a few problems...
1. One hashes at full rate. Yay!
2. One hashboard was dead on arrival. (when this one is run with the working one, the whole unit only gets ~6 gh/s instead of the 1500gh/s it gets with just the working board, is this normal?
3. One hashboard has a loose heatsink (I have not yet powered up this board so i don't know if it works or not). i didn't want to power it up out our courtesy for the seller just in case they have some way to repair it after it is exchanged. <- hopefully

I am understandably upset and seeking an exchange for a working unit or a refund. I have had some communication via eBay messages but he has not offered any reasonable suggestions to resolve the situation. All he has offered was a replacement fan to "fix" the "cooling and vibration" issue... I don't even know what he is talking about!!

He has since gone radio silent so I submitted for a return/exchange through the eBay process... any advice?Huh HELP?!?!? I stand NO chance of a return on investment if 2/3 of my rig don't work! eeeeek!!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ricknamer

Activity: 126
Merit: 1

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 08:54:29 PM

(Modertors: So sorry if I posted this in the wrong forum, i wasn't sure where this type of thing should go and I realy wanted to get some feedback from knowledgeable folks. So sorry if i got it in the wrong spot.)

I recently purchased an Antminer S7 on eBay from what appeared to a reputable seller with thousands of positive reviews.

HOWEVER, everything did not arrive as described... Here are the details... Has anyone had any experience with purchasing these types of items on eBay? What are the chances ebay will make things right with buyer protection if this guy tries to screw me?

The description had many positive things to say but some of the highlights were...
“Used Antminer S7 in « A » WORKING condition! and in « B » Looking condition HAVE small scratches and dust but does NOT affect performance of the miner.This was pulled from a rack of equipment mining at full hashrate. Sold as-is, no warranty, no returns.”

Warranty and Returns
There is no warranty on miners/psu as those are used. Asap you receive the miner, please test it and confirm us its working. If you don’t confirm us after 72h that miner is working we’ll consider all is good
No Returns are accepted.

2. One hashboard was dead on arrival. (when this one is run with the working one, the whole unit only gets ~6 gh/s instead of the 1500gh/s it gets with just the working board, is this normal?
3. One hashboard has a loose heatsink (I have not yet powered up this board so i don't know if it works or not). i didn't want to power it up out our courtesy for the seller just in case they have some way to repair it after it is exchanged. <- hopefully

I am understandably upset and seeking an exchange for a working unit or a refund. I have had some communication via eBay messages but he has not offered any reasonable suggestions to resolve the situation. All he has offered was a replacement fan to "fix" the "cooling and vibration" issue... I don't even know what he is talking about!!

He has since gone radio silent so I submitted for a return/exchange through the eBay process... any advice?Huh HELP?!?!? I stand NO chance of a return on investment if 2/3 of my rig don't work! eeeeek!!

Open an item dispute with eBay. Use the "item is defective" option. Explain exactly what you said here.

They will rule in your favor - customer always wins.  Even when a seller claims "no returns/refunds" ebay will force it.

Please do not abuse this.
leowonderful
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1129

Bitcoin FTW!

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 09:50:46 PM

Warranty and Returns
No Returns are accepted.

Open an item dispute with eBay. Use the "item is defective" option. Explain exactly what you said here.

They will rule in your favor - customer always wins.  Even when a seller claims "no returns/refunds" ebay will force it.

Please do not abuse this.
Pretty much this. This is also why most people selling miners don't like to sell on eBay- refunds are often abused and in addition the fees on eBay are very high for sales as well. no matter what the description says, if it does not come as advertised it does warrant a refund. Doesn't matter how reputable the seller is, if it doesn't come as advertised then a refund will come for you in 99% of situations/
Raymond_B

Activity: 504
Merit: 71

Just Getting Started...

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2018, 10:47:29 PM

I got lucky and picked up an S7 from eBay before both Bitcoin and the used miner market went nuts. After many many days of looking it was obvious that there's several sellers who must be doing something artificially to inflate their positive reviews and the counts of those. Someone with like 100% and many thousands positive reviews seems awfully fishy to me.

This spammed listing seems to make it's rounds under different sellers, they might be legit, but I do not trust them at all.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/USED-Bitmain-Antminer-S7-Bitcoin-ASIC-Miner-4-73TH-s-FreePSU-Perfect-Working/391932509858?epid=12010963140&hash=item5b40ff7ea2:g:4KcAAOSwHNxaMbmN

Anyway lately there's been a ton of used miner listings like that one and they all seem to be using the same letter code description (A, B, C, etc). If you're going to buy from someone thoroughly check out their reviews and most importantly the item description. It's pretty easy to tell someone who's copy and pasting from other listings or spamming out tons of the same listing. Also look closely at the pictures, are they silly looking photoshopped jobs or do they look like a genuine unique listing. Contact the seller and have them send you more if needed, heck maybe even a video of the unit in question running.

Lastly whether or not they say no refund if the seller misrepresented the item eBay will help you.

Oscamacoin (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 05, 2018, 03:05:22 AM

Thank you all for your input. I assure you i would not abuse this guarantee. This is the first time i have ever experienced an issue like this and i was freaking out that this guy could have just walked off with all of my money.

I just can't believe that people are willing to lie, cheat and steal like this. I certainly hope he gets hit with a big dose of Karma!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: