Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 10:21:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: System76 accepts Bitcoin!  (Read 145 times)
eternalgloom (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1283

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2018, 08:30:59 PM

Great news, System76, a Linux computer retailer, has just announced that they are now accepting Bitcoin as a payment method.
They've announced it via Twitter and sent an e-mail to everyone who's subscribed to their mailing list.

From the e-mail I've received:

Bitcoin is here!
You’re just blocks away from a new PC!

We’ve been listening to your requests and now accept Bitcoin! Mine these computer configurations for your perfect machine. With just 3 days left of steep discounts on processors, memory, and storage upgrades take advantage of these discounts while you still can! This gives you a total savings potential from up-to ฿0.011340 ($185) off through up-to ฿0.056238 ($910) off computers*. Start 2018 off right, cuddling up with your “doge” and your favorite machine!

https://system76.com/

JureViewly

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2018, 09:47:08 PM

This is such awesome news to hear. First it's a computer retail store, soon it's the sports stores.. and before you know it boom, you are in a mall doing shopping just like in an amusement park - by touching your wristband! Great progress.
batang_bitcoin

Activity: 2982
Merit: 600

Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 09:56:11 PM

I'm not a linux fan and I don't have much knowledge about retailers that's into that type of business but with this news, this is just such a great thing to read that they are starting to adopt bitcoin as payment method. This beginning of 2018 is a great one, first Peter Thiel and now System76. Who else do you think will accept and adopt bitcoin as payment method and will start investing on it?

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
█████████████████▄███████
████████████████▄███████▀
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀
████████▄████▄█████▀▀
██████▄██████████▀
███▄▄█████
███████▄
██▄██████████████
░▄██████████████▀
▄█████████████▀
████████████
███████████▀
███████▀▀
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████
███████████
▄███████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████
▀█
██████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀█████████
██████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
 ElonCoin.org 
████████▄▄███████▄▄
███████▄████████████▌
██████▐██▀███████▀▀██
███████████████████▐█▌
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄
███▐███▀▄█▄█▀▀█▄█▄▀
███████████████████
█████████████▄████
█████████▀░▄▄▄▄▄
███████▄█▄░▀█▄▄░▀
███▄██▄▀███▄█████▄▀
▄██████▄▀███████▀
████████▄▀████▀
█████▄▄
"I could either watch it
happen or be a part of it"
▬▬▬▬▬
setifien19

Activity: 472
Merit: 101

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 10:07:31 PM

Nice measure from'em toward the globalisation of bitcoin ( as well as a strike on the face of those who said bitcoin's gonna die in 2018 )
But I wonder why didn't they take such decision when BTC was at lower rates ?
godzillarekt007

Activity: 266
Merit: 106

Floki Robot

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 10:15:02 PM

Excellent progress you know that the first people to adopt this currency will be people who are invested in the industry but that is okay. I believe we will soon see bigger companies that are more well known begin to take payments too beginning with bigger services of course. Hotels, airlines, and car companies a like in my mind will begin to accept bitcoin it only makes sense from a business perspective.

Quickfant

Activity: 128
Merit: 27

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 10:15:51 PM

Nice to hear something positive and companies starting to accept Bitcoin. Because recently a lot of companies have pulled their support from Bitcoin due to the stability of it.
bitart

Activity: 1442
Merit: 629

Vires in Numeris

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 10:17:03 PM

Nice measure from'em toward the globalisation of bitcoin ( as well as a strike on the face of those who said bitcoin's gonna die in 2018 )
But I wonder why didn't they take such decision when BTC was at lower rates ?
Maybe they have just realized that bitcoin has potential Smiley
Or they just realized that bitcoin is really expensive now and they can buy cheaper coins if they don't buy them directly but they sell their stuff for bitcoin.
Anyway, great news, but don't forget that Japan is accepting bitcoin since last year, so there's a whole country that already legalized bitcoin. The mass adoption will depend on the regulations, because in Japan bitcoin is regulated, but still works well.
nlcars

Activity: 140
Merit: 22

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 10:24:35 PM

It is good news but it looks like System76 is a small local company or am I wrong ?

eternalgloom (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 04, 2018, 11:47:50 AM

It is good news but it looks like System76 is a small local company or am I wrong ?

They're serving a niche market, I mean I can't imagine that there's a lot of demand for Linux laptops in general.
They do ship worldwide and among Linux enthusiast they're pretty well known for their quality products.

They still have 21 employees, so it's not a tiny company, not big either.

Emoclaw

Activity: 420
Merit: 251

View Profile
January 04, 2018, 11:57:19 AM

Fantastic. Now I have the option to automatically pay 10% more of the products' value in mining fees in yet another store.
While on paper it's good news for Bitcoin, I don't think anyone is going to buy from them or anyone else using it at this point.
eternalgloom (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 04, 2018, 12:04:15 PM

Fantastic. Now I have the option to automatically pay 10% more of the products' value in mining fees in yet another store.
While on paper it's good news for Bitcoin, I don't think anyone is going to buy from them or anyone else using it at this point.

I have to agree that they chose a pretty weird time to start accepting Bitcoin, people have been asking them to accept it since 2014, if I remember correctly.
Still, I think there will be enough people who'd still buy a laptop there using Bitcoin, you can also use a segwit address and pay significantly less fees.

Also when buying a laptop, you can just pay a bit less fees and have your transaction confirm a bit later, a few extra hours doesn't matter too much imo.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: