Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 01:54:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What about 4x Oc'd 5970 Setup?  (Read 1767 times)
CYPER (OP)

Activity: 798
Merit: 502

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 07:54:13 PM

Do you think it is wise to put 4x oc'd 5970 together in a case like this:

For the PSU I'm thinking of either 1x Silverstone SST-ST1500 or 2x Corsair HX850 the latter being one awesome PSU (I have 2 of these myself).

Do you think I might have any problems with Gigabyte GA-770T-D3L which I currently use for 4x oc'd 5870.
Maybe not enough power coming through the PCI-X slots to the cards?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Trini8ed

Activity: 375
Merit: 250

<3 Bitcoins

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 02:42:17 PM

Your using the x1 slots? how much does that affect the mhash on the cards between the x16 slot and you are better off getting 4 more 5870's and another board or just get 6990's because you get a warranty on it having one of them break and not having a warranty...

Everyone Loves Donations: 1PEVhtmnBqiN8rYXLHhtUWAB6q9X63Zm9D
Steam Profile: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Trini8ed
padrino
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1000

https://www.bitworks.io

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2011, 06:29:58 PM

I use 1x and 16x in mine no difference, all 8 GPUs run at full speed. One note through is that with the extenders try and get some with external power (4 pin molex) since most any board cannot deliver that kind of wattage unless specifically designed to do so...

1CPi7VRihoF396gyYYcs2AdTEF8KQG2BCR
newguy05

Activity: 1316
Merit: 503

Someone is sitting in the shade today...

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2011, 07:30:16 PM

Do you think it is wise to put 4x oc'd 5970 together in a case like this.
- Picture blocked so cant see, but in general it's not wise to put 4x 5970 in ANYTHING enclosed, only open setup. those are true monsters.

For the PSU I'm thinking of either
1x Silverstone SST-ST1500
- No
or 2x Corsair HX850
- Yes
the latter being one awesome PSU (I have 2 of these myself).

Do you think I might have any problems with Gigabyte GA-770T-D3L which I currently use for 4x oc'd 5870.
- Should be Ok.  

I am running 2x 5970 on a crap mobo with a 1000watt coolermaster silent pro psu, rock solid OCed to 800mhz at 70degrees.  You can easily OC it to 850 with a bit more work and trial/error and I seen people got it to run at 900 with voltage increase.   One thing i notice is those cards do NOT like low memory clock, when I set it to 300mhz-400mhz as many people are suggesting they would constantly hang, once I set it to 500mhz no issues (same clock speed etc..)

▄██████
       ▄████████
     ▄██████████
   ▄█▀     █████
 ▄███      █████
█████      ███████████████████████████
█████                           ████▀
█████                           ██▀
█████                          ▄▀   
██████████████████████████████▀
████████████████████████████▀
L I N K
by BLOCKMASON

..CREATE WEB APIS........
..FROM ANY SMART........
..CONTRACT.........................

█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█
█  ██████    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█  ██████    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█  ██████    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█            ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█                     █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄              █
█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█

READ THE
WHITEPAPER

>>>

▄          █▄                         ▄
██▄        ███▄                     ▄██
████▄      █████▄                 ▄████
██████▄    ███████▄             ▄██████
████████▄   ▀███████▄         ▄███████▀
██████████▄   ▀███████▄     ▄███████▀
████████████▄   ▀███████▄ ▄███████▀  
██████████████▄   ▀█████████████▀   ▄██
████████████████▄   ▀█████████▀   ▄████
██████████████████▄   ▀█████▀   ▄██████
████████████████████▄   ▀█▀   ▄████████
BLOCKMASON
BUILDING THE FUTURE

FACEBOOK
REDDIT
TWITTER

LINKEDIN
GITHUB
MEDIUM
padrino
Legendary

Activity: 1428

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2011, 07:46:55 PM

I am running 2x 5970 on a crap mobo with a 1000watt coolermaster silent pro psu, rock solid OCed to 800mhz at 70degrees.  You can easily OC it to 850 with a bit more work and trial/error and I seen people got it to run at 900 with voltage increase.   One thing i notice is those cards do NOT like low memory clock, when I set it to 300mhz-400mhz as many people are suggesting they would constantly hang, once I set it to 500mhz no issues (same clock speed etc..)

What OS are you running, asking because I have Win 7 64-bit and Ubuntu 11.04 both running 5970s are 300Mhz memory with no issues.

1CPi7VRihoF396gyYYcs2AdTEF8KQG2BCR
CYPER (OP)

Activity: 798
Merit: 502

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 09:04:47 PM

Your using the x1 slots? how much does that affect the mhash on the cards between the x16 slot and you are better off getting 4 more 5870's and another board or just get 6990's because you get a warranty on it having one of them break and not having a warranty...
No difference between x1 and x16.
One note through is that with the extenders try and get some with external power (4 pin molex) since most any board cannot deliver that kind of wattage unless specifically designed to do so...
What kind of extenders are those that have external power? The card gets 75W from the slot and everything else from the PSU. What I'm worried is having 4 cards each getting 75W from the mobo (4 slots). Which source has higher priority - the slot or the power connector?
Do you think it is wise to put 4x oc'd 5970 together in a case like this.
- Picture blocked so cant see, but in general it's not wise to put 4x 5970 in ANYTHING enclosed, only open setup. those are true monsters.

For the PSU I'm thinking of either
1x Silverstone SST-ST1500
- No
or 2x Corsair HX850
- Yes
the latter being one awesome PSU (I have 2 of these myself).

- Should be Ok. 

I am running 2x 5970 on a crap mobo with a 1000watt coolermaster silent pro psu, rock solid OCed to 800mhz at 70degrees.  You can easily OC it to 850 with a bit more work and trial/error and I seen people got it to run at 900 with voltage increase.   One thing i notice is those cards do NOT like low memory clock, when I set it to 300mhz-400mhz as many people are suggesting they would constantly hang, once I set it to 500mhz no issues (same clock speed etc..)
Yes, the picture is of a completely open wooden frame where the cards have 5cm space between each and 3x CM Sickleflow 2000rpm are blowing from the top of the frame. With this setup my 4x5870 (960Mhz Core) are in the region of 65-75 degrees depending on the weather and the card. Currently with 16 Celsius outside they are around 69-70.

The thing is if I could buy 5870 for the price I paid 2 weeks ago I would go for them, but currently they sell for £200 which is too much.
newguy05

View Profile WWW
July 09, 2011, 12:50:30 AM

What OS are you running, asking because I have Win 7 64-bit and Ubuntu 11.04 both running 5970s are 300Mhz memory with no issues.

fresh install of win7 64bit using afterburner and guiminer.  Both cards are xfx and i am using the latest xfx driver (with the latest official ati driver my whole comp freezes everytime i touch the memory clock speed in afterburner for some reason, even if trying to lower by just 1...). 

I can lower the memory to 300mhz, and it would run 12-24 hours but the comp always freezes, once i set it to 500mhz it's been running without any issues.  I have my miner in a warehouse and can only remote into it, so didnt want to mess with it too much.

Can you tell me the brand of your card and what version driver you are using? thanks.

▄██████
       ▄████████
     ▄██████████
   ▄█▀     █████
 ▄███      █████
L I N K
by BLOCKMASON

..FROM ANY SMART........

█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█
█  ██████    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█  ██████    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█  ██████    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█            ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█                     █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄              █
█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█

READ THE
WHITEPAPER

>>>

BLOCKMASON
BUILDING THE FUTURE

FACEBOOK
REDDIT
TWITTER

LINKEDIN
GITHUB
MEDIUM
newguy05

View Profile WWW
July 09, 2011, 12:53:22 AM

The thing is if I could buy 5870 for the price I paid 2 weeks ago I would go for them, but currently they sell for £200 which is too much.

what's the price difference over there between 5970 and 6990? I kind regret not getting 2x 6990 for $200 more.  It seems you can easily get 400mhash per gpu with 6990 stable, but with 5970 i am only able to get 325mhash OCed to 800mhz. 850mhz gets you 350mhash, you need 900mhz (which is very difficult) to get 400mhash.  Also 6990 will resell much better down the road to gamers vs 5970.

▄██████
       ▄████████
     ▄██████████
   ▄█▀     █████
 ▄███      █████
L I N K
by BLOCKMASON

..FROM ANY SMART........

█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█
█  ██████    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█  ██████    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█  ██████    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█            ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█                     █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄              █
█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█

READ THE
WHITEPAPER

>>>

BLOCKMASON
BUILDING THE FUTURE

FACEBOOK
REDDIT
TWITTER

LINKEDIN
GITHUB
MEDIUM
Pipesnake
Legendary

Activity: 1012

View Profile
July 09, 2011, 02:01:48 AM

It seems you can easily get 400mhash per gpu with 6990 stable, but with 5970 i am only able to get 325mhash OCed to 800mhz. 850mhz gets you 350mhash, you need 900mhz (which is very difficult) to get 400mhash.  Also 6990 will resell much better down the road to gamers vs 5970.
Use modified phatk kernel here:  http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=25860.0

flags: -k phatk VECTORS BFI_INT FASTLOOP=false AGGRESSION=11

At 835oc (which is very reasonable) you should see around 380mh/s

phatk is optimized for 5870 and the 5970 is two 5870 gpus.

██▄                ██        ▄███████▄        ██                  ██      ▄█████████▄ 
 ████              ██      █                  █      ██                  ██      ██                ██
 ██  ▀█            ██    ▄█                  █▄    ██                  ██    ██                  ██
 ██    █▄          ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██    ▀█                     
 ██      █▄        ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██      ██                   
 ██        █▄      ██                                  ██                  ██       ▀████████▄   
 ██          █▄    ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██                        ██ 
 ██            █▄  ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██                          ██
 ██              █▄██    ██                  ██    ▀█                  █▀    ▄▄                  █▀
 ██                ███      █                  █        █                  █      ██                ██ 
 ██                  ▀█        ▀███████▀            ▀███████▀         ▀█████████▀   

Nousplatform Youtube     
xurious

Activity: 413
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 10, 2011, 05:59:53 PM

what's the price difference over there between 5970 and 6990? I kind regret not getting 2x 6990 for $200 more.  It seems you can easily get 400mhash per gpu with 6990 stable, but with 5970 i am only able to get 325mhash OCed to 800mhz. 850mhz gets you 350mhash, you need 900mhz (which is very difficult) to get 400mhash.  Also 6990 will resell much better down the road to gamers vs 5970.

You need to look at this as a dollar per mh/s. For those 200 dollars that you could have spent on getting the 6990, you can pick up a 5870 and get another solid easy 350 mh/s. This more than makes up for what the 6990's could get.

SiaMining.com -- First PPS SiaMining Pool! 3%, VarDiff, Stratum Support
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: