Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 06:55:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Help me plan my build...  (Read 184 times)
Servfox (OP)

Activity: 37
Merit: 2

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 10:36:13 PM
Last edit: June 08, 2021, 07:54:45 PM by Servfox

I am planning my next build and I wanted to do things a little different this time. I've made a few mistakes with the planning of my last 2 builds. I found ways to make them work with the help of the community here... but I think it will be much easier to get advice before I spend my money.

5k budget
Mining performance is obviously important to me but I prefer reliability and longevity over anything else.

I have the most trouble selecting a good GPU. Which is your favorite?
gotminer

Activity: 644
Merit: 24

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 11:06:59 PM

Vega 56 or 1070ti.  I don't do the mini cards and I don't buy Gigabyte cards.

Ok, I want you to walk back in there and very calmly, very politely tell the risk assessors to fuck off! -Mark Baum
Servfox (OP)

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 11:08:56 PM

I have evga 1070 ti hybrids that I am setting up this weekend. Everything I hear about them is fantastic. The only downside to them is cost and they use a little more electricity than other 1070 ti's.

I also have 7 zotac 1070ti amp extreme's being delivered next week. I thought I loved everything about this card but I really dislike the dual 8 pin power input. Philipma help me figure out a solution to that problem but I'm also starting to hear the cooling system on the Zotac cards is not great. It is a giant card with a huge heatsink so I thought cooling was a priority for them. I am starting to regret this purchase.

I need a rock solid card for my next build. Any suggestions on a brand?
Servfox (OP)

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 11:54:16 PM

I also have 7 zotac 1070ti amp extreme's being delivered next week. I thought I loved everything about this card but I really dislike the dual 8 pin power input. Philipma help me figure out a solution to that problem but I'm also starting to hear the cooling system on the Zotac cards is not great. It is a giant card with a huge heatsink so I thought cooling was a priority for them. I am starting to regret this purchase.

I have a friend that is offering to buy the Zotac amp extremes from me. Would I be better off selling them and going with another evga 1070ti hybrid rig? I've also had my eye on the Asus rog strix 1070ti. Who makes the best non-hybrid cooling systems?
gotminer

View Profile
January 04, 2018, 12:00:34 AM

I think the Zotac cooling thing was that the mini's don't advertise ball bearing fans.  I'm not sure about the amp extremes.  I'm sure you can figure that out though. 

I have 12 EVGA 1070ti FTW2 split between two rigs.  So far as good on them.  I hear good things about them, but they've only been running for a couple of weeks, so I don't have any personal long term experience with them.

Ok, I want you to walk back in there and very calmly, very politely tell the risk assessors to fuck off! -Mark Baum
Servfox (OP)

View Profile
January 04, 2018, 12:18:54 AM

I think the Zotac cooling thing was that the mini's don't advertise ball bearing fans.  I'm not sure about the amp extremes.  I'm sure you can figure that out though. 

I have 12 EVGA 1070ti FTW2 split between two rigs.  So far as good on them.  I hear good things about them, but they've only been running for a couple of weeks, so I don't have any personal long term experience with them.

I heard good things about those ftw2 models. I think Vosk used those and was really happy with the performance. Are you mining equihash? How are they performing?

gotminer

View Profile
January 04, 2018, 03:35:35 PM

Yeah that's what I'm mining with them.  500 sol/s per card ... Around 110W per card.

MasterMoon

Activity: 252
Merit: 1

View Profile
January 04, 2018, 03:53:14 PM

Hi all. Can you please give suggestion how much I need so I can setup my own mining rig? Thank you in advance.
gotminer

View Profile
January 04, 2018, 04:36:26 PM

Hi all. Can you please give suggestion how much I need so I can setup my own mining rig? Thank you in advance.

You'll need about approx 571 deutschmarks for that.  No more, no less.

MasterMoon

Activity: 252
Merit: 1

View Profile
January 05, 2018, 01:31:33 PM

You'll need about approx 571 deutschmarks for that.  No more, no less.

How much that in USD? and can you suggest specification for the Mining rig that I want to build?
aaronfb

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 05, 2018, 01:38:07 PM

Two 3 card rigs are not too less efficient than a single 6 card rig.  And you don't have the added fuss of risers and multiple power supplies.  My 2¢
flip4flop

Activity: 378
Merit: 135

View Profile
January 05, 2018, 01:49:23 PM

You sound like you live close to me with your cost.  I would recommend 1070ti 6 card rig or a mix and match of 1070 and 170tis based on the availability of cards.  You can put together a rig for 5k with no issue.  The guide below I wrote will get you to 6 cards 1070 or 1070ti for right around 5k depending on the availability of the hardware which can be tricky.  If you have any questions I would be happy to help.

https://theminerhub.com/mining/building-a-mining-rig-part-2-hardware
NimaLastname

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 05, 2018, 02:54:20 PM

You sound like you live close to me with your cost.  I would recommend 1070ti 6 card rig or a mix and match of 1070 and 170tis based on the availability of cards.  You can put together a rig for 5k with no issue.  The guide below I wrote will get you to 6 cards 1070 or 1070ti for right around 5k depending on the availability of the hardware which can be tricky.  If you have any questions I would be happy to help.

what is benefit of mixing ?
its not better to do with six 1070ti card on a rig ?
or its better on a 6 rig with 3 Nvidia and 3 AMD cards. or maybe on two 3 rigs with 3 NVidia cards  and 3 AMD Cards.
Maveth13

Activity: 336
Merit: 112

View Profile
January 05, 2018, 03:29:03 PM

You sound like you live close to me with your cost.  I would recommend 1070ti 6 card rig or a mix and match of 1070 and 170tis based on the availability of cards.  You can put together a rig for 5k with no issue.  The guide below I wrote will get you to 6 cards 1070 or 1070ti for right around 5k depending on the availability of the hardware which can be tricky.  If you have any questions I would be happy to help.

or its better on a 6 rig with 3 Nvidia and 3 AMD cards. or maybe on two 3 rigs with 3 NVidia cards  and 3 AMD Cards.

Not much really, but yes it would be easier to just use same cards to prevent driver conflicts and more adjustments. Mixing manufacturers would actually be a major stability hit on the rig, but in a situation provided you already have both, then it can work.
flip4flop

Activity: 378
Merit: 135

View Profile
January 05, 2018, 03:56:52 PM

Not much really, but yes it would be easier to just use same cards to prevent driver conflicts and more adjustments. Mixing manufacturers would actually be a major stability hit on the rig, but in a situation provided you already have both, then it can work.

its great to have all the same card yes. I would highly recommend it. Right now you cant really do that if you want to buy everything at once.  The card availability forces you to mix and match if you want to get up and running quickly.  I would stay away from mixing NVIDIA and AMD cards but generally speaking, if you have different kinds of NVIDIA it just a matter of updating drivers and tweaking overclock for each and you are good to go.  If you can keep them all the same but its much harder to do that right now.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: