Bitcoin Forum
July 29, 2024, 08:29:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitmessage?  (Read 564 times)
Unkn0wnher0 (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 10:00:59 PM

Long time lurker, first time poster. Every since running a Bitcoin node hogged my net and increasing took up more and more disk space that I had to stop running it. I wanted to find another way to help out the bitcoin network and stumbled upon bitmessage. Since I do not like being snooped or having my own data being used against me, I like the whole idea of bitmessage to encrypt and anonymous email commuications that can be set up and used by anyone. I wonder why it isn't more popular seeing that is simple to use and can't be shut down. It is in a early state though and may not be ready for prime time yet.

Of course the best part about it was that it spawned off of bitcoin and it isn't just another alt coin.
bitcoindigi

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 10:03:21 PM

Yeah, I'm a big fan of bitmessage too. Though I'm missing mobile apps Sad
Machinery

Activity: 39

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 11:08:33 PM

Yeah, it's pretty good. Anyone seen the source code?
favdesu
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2013, 04:25:32 PM

More newbies should use it! http://bitmessage.org

iamnightelf

Activity: 47

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 04:36:40 PM
Last edit: August 07, 2013, 04:48:45 PM by iamnightelf

This will never gain much traction without further development, most specifically, support for more than the Windows platform...
Why use a platform dependent service when there is already services that are web based and by nature of web based technology, not platform dependent?
ie: https://privnote.com

my $.02 USD
favdesu
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2013, 05:27:56 PM

Because it's using the bit stream and is relevant to the topic. As far as I know the bitmessage development is really healthy.

wedgy2k

Activity: 329
Merit: 251

View Profile
August 08, 2013, 03:43:13 PM

This will never gain much traction without further development, most specifically, support for more than the Windows platform...
Why use a platform dependent service when there is already services that are web based and by nature of web based technology, not platform dependent?
ie: https://privnote.com

my $.02 USD
Agree,
getting bitmessage to work on osx was a right pain

Unkn0wnher0 (OP)

Activity: 2

View Profile
August 10, 2013, 12:25:49 AM

I wouldn't trust web services even if they are easier to use. How do you know the server or the javascript on the website isn't out to get you?

With Bitmessage at least you can not rely on any one service except bitmessage itself. There are more angles for attack on a web service than a heavy p2p client on your computer.

I'm sure sooner or later bitmessage will be ported over to other systems.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: