Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 09:16:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Googlebomb: Bitcoin on the Road to Mainstream  (Read 6907 times)
julz
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 09:52:51 PM

Done. And this thread is the first result.

lol whoops.

Recursion isn't always a bad thing.

In this case - I think the result is awful.
It provides ammunition to those who think bitcoin is a bubble hyped by desperate fanatics.
As much as google irks me sometimes - I can't help marvel at the appropriateness of it screwing with this lame attempt at self promotion.

I agree that the focus should be on getting it accepted by merchants.
Perhaps a more positive way to do this would be to encourage local bitcoin usergroups/meetups. At the meetups people could pick some local merchant(s) that a fair number would like to purchase from, and see if they can encourage and assist them in setting up bitcoin and prominently displaying the logo.
It might be the local pizza shop.. or pc shop for example.

@electricwings   BM-GtyD5exuDJ2kvEbr41XchkC8x9hPxdFd
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MrJoshua

Activity: 76
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 09:56:30 PM

Just edit the OP to include references to good articles.  Include pros and cons so that people can inform themselves of the facts.  The facts are in bitcoins favor.

j

The value of bitcoins is not a theory, predictions of it's failure are what is theoretical.
zef

Activity: 90
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 10:01:47 PM

first search term brings up this forum post.  pretty sure that is a bad thing.
Serge
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 10:02:11 PM

> "Google bombs" are collective efforts to link to a site by a key phrase and artificially elevate a Web site in the Google search results for that search phrase. Google bombs rely heavily on the influence of PageRank.

what you guys are doing isn't technically search engine bomb, it's something else but I don't have name for it Smiley
in order to make a search engine bomb you need to make a link with targeted keyword term as an anchor text. After some time that link will appear in search results for that specific keyword term .

foggyb (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1006

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 10:30:24 PM
Last edit: July 07, 2011, 10:47:48 PM by foggyb

Your negative sentiment is one of the only "results" so far, that I'm aware of. I hope some positive, enthusiastic people visit this thread and click the article links in the original post.

Merchants can't adopt something they've never heard of, and won't accept a currency nobody has ever asked them about.
Seraphim401

Activity: 215
Merit: 100

Live Long and Prosper

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 11:09:26 PM

Done  Cool

foggyb (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 11:11:51 PM

Done  Cool

Smiley
TheRandomGuy

Activity: 162

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 11:36:21 PM

OPeration Bitcoin.  Grin

LETS DO THIS!

BTC: 1wbGAAabrsu8pjVXWUQvjUUhe18e721K2
FAUCET ROTATOR SCRIPT
julz
Legendary

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 11:39:38 PM

Your negative sentiment is one of the only "results" so far, that I'm aware of. I hope some positive, enthusiastic people visit this thread and click the article links in the original post.

Merchants can't adopt something they've never heard of, and won't accept a currency nobody has ever asked them about.

Drawing new people's attention to this thread is the result I consider awful.
I put in a positive suggestion about local user groups as a way to get merchants on board..  they have an immediate reward in the form of local geeks willing not only to help them set it up - but to buy some product/services from them.
MUCH more positive than a thread with 'Googlebomb' in the title.   Edit the title. It's just embarrassing.

julz
Legendary

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 11:44:00 PM

World Map Showing the distribution of bitcoin client users across the globe.

The map is awesome. 
Where did it come from and what is the date it was generated? Is it updated regularly? What do the colours mean?

Shinobi

Activity: 196

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 11:47:04 PM

That's hilarious. You post a map and then proceed to kill its credibility by showing that you have no idea what it is, who made it, or whether its accurate! Go Bitcoin!

_______
Thinking of using a cheap, yet reliable VPN? Go with PrivateInternetAccess. Not a referral link. Just a satisfied customer!
foggyb (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 12:01:30 AM

The map is awesome. 
Where did it come from and what is the date it was generated? Is it updated regularly? What do the colours mean?

This was done by MAGICALTUX in this thread:

http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=2346.0

Just for fun I started gathering IPs reported by bitcoin clients and make a database of unique ips and test which ones are live, which ones are not.

Since there are ~1200 bitcoin connected to the irc channel I was assuming to find a similar value, but right now I'm still querying nodes and got over 6000 nodes (for now about 25% are accepting inbound connections).

Anyway since it's probably not telling you much, I transformed the ips in coordinates, and made a google kml file anyone can see in google maps (suggested by slush_cz)

UPDATE: Now the node color on google maps tells you if that node accept connections or not.

GREEN means the node has its firewall correctly configured and accept connections from other nodes
    RED means we were unable to connect to the node (it is either down, or do not accept connections)
    WHITE means the node is still in the queue, and will be checked soon

UPDATE 2: Now only nodes I heared about from other nodes within the last 3 hours are taken into account. The other nodes are excluded from the map and other stats (except versions)
foggyb (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 12:02:28 AM

That's hilarious. You post a map and then proceed to kill its credibility by showing that you have no idea what it is, who made it, or whether its accurate! Go Bitcoin!

TheRandomGuy

Activity: 162

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 12:05:43 AM

I LOVE THAT STUFF!

BTC: 1wbGAAabrsu8pjVXWUQvjUUhe18e721K2
FAUCET ROTATOR SCRIPT
foggyb (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 12:14:05 AM

Here's a link the interactive google map: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=http://c1958612.r12.cf0.rackcdn.com/bitcoin.kml

FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2011, 12:50:03 AM

first search term brings up this forum post.  pretty sure that is a bad thing.

I was just going to report this fail. The last thing you want people to see would be that you are gaming the system... to get them to see your thread about gaming the system. It's like a self referential fail.

I'm not saying it's wrong to influence something like this, but it's counterproductive when it is obvious. Maybe you should try a search term that returns good pages and already has a base of searchers - "Bitcoin".

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
foggyb (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 12:54:53 AM

Yes I am aware of that. It doesn't matter. People are going to click on bitcoin links. The first post is fulled with great, positive information and nice graphics.
kloinko1n

Activity: 406

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 06:14:33 AM

Alright lets try it. Even with our limited numbers we should still make some impact. We won't make #1 search term obviously.

Search terms are:
 1.  is bitcoin unstoppable
 2.  Bitcoin better than USD

If you see this thread, just go to google and search those phrases.

Why not just post the links? (Please edit your post) Smiley

is bitcoin unstoppable?
Bitcoin better than USD?
jashan

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2011, 06:24:51 AM

Search terms are:
 1.  is bitcoin unstoppable
 2.  bitcoin better than USD
 3.  bitcoin scam

It seems like this worked pretty well for 1 and 2 but not so great for 3. But IMHO, 3 would be the most important.
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: