Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 11:42:42 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: FBI Authorized 5600 Crimes in 2011  (Read 920 times)
benjamindees (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 06, 2013, 12:03:57 AM

I wonder how many Bitcoin-related crimes they authorized when they were running LulzSec?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/08/04/fbi-informant-crimes-report/2613305/

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
r3wt

Activity: 686
Merit: 504

always the student, never the master.

View Profile
August 06, 2013, 12:19:51 AM

I wonder how many Bitcoin-related crimes they authorized when they were running LulzSec?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/08/04/fbi-informant-crimes-report/2613305/

ok

My negative trust rating is reflective of a personal vendetta by someone on default trust.
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
August 06, 2013, 12:23:16 AM

The FBI

The Law

You

jarhed

Activity: 672
Merit: 254

View Profile
August 06, 2013, 12:28:09 AM

I doubt they authorized in the sense like, go forth and make mischief my young apprentice.....
They most likely turn a blind eye for that long awaited promotion....or some other office politics. Who's screwing who on the director's desk.
r3wt

View Profile
August 06, 2013, 01:05:50 AM

I doubt they authorized in the sense like, go forth and make mischief my young apprentice.....
They most likely turn a blind eye for that long awaited promotion....or some other office politics. Who's screwing who on the director's desk.

nah, they have to authorize the crimes. If the Crime Boss orders the CI to commit a crime and he doesn't do it, he's designated a rat by de facto Criminal Code and will surely be killed.

My negative trust rating is reflective of a personal vendetta by someone on default trust.
jarhed

View Profile
August 06, 2013, 01:11:04 AM

nah, they have to authorize the crimes. If the Crime Boss orders the CI to commit a crime and he doesn't do it, he's designated a rat by de facto Criminal Code and will surely be killed.

I think you watched way too many movies.
r3wt

View Profile
August 06, 2013, 01:51:48 AM

I think you watched way too many movies.

actually i've lived in real life and know.

jarhed

View Profile
August 06, 2013, 02:15:25 AM

Whatever.
Let's not go overboard now.

Point is, if they admit to about 5600, the amount is most likely twice that.

r3wt

View Profile
August 06, 2013, 02:48:07 AM

Whatever.

$
yeah, i won't dispute that either. its no doubt they lie. i'm just saying they wouldn't have no snitches if they were going to charge them for whatever crimes they commit undercover.

Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 02:06:30 AM

Whatever.

$
yeah, i won't dispute that either. its no doubt they lie. i'm just saying they wouldn't have no snitches if they were going to charge them for whatever crimes they commit undercover.

Be interesting to know what they reap, for what they sow.  What if convictions was 2000, and admitted and allowed crimes were 5600?
Van3cespencer7

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 02:57:13 AM

Is any of this surprising? America is no longer the land of the fee (if they ever were).

Yes I am American. 
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 03:38:34 AM

Is any of this surprising? America is no longer the land of the fee (if they ever were).

Yes I am American. 

Some Americans would call you unAmerican.  But I call you, aware.

xkeyscore89

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 11, 2013, 02:51:14 AM

Not a big deal, as long as it's not a homicide, it's fair game for the FBI.
BitCoiner2012

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 11, 2013, 02:53:24 AM

The FBI

The Law

You

You should go ahead and modify that from FBI to every agency with any authority.

BTC Long.
BitCoiner2012

View Profile
August 11, 2013, 02:54:51 AM

Not a big deal, as long as it's not a homicide, it's fair game for the FBI.

Really?

So, it's just dandy for FBI to say, bag up and sell drugs as long as they're catching someone? Is there not some cognitive dissonance going on here?

This is just the FBI. In one year. The US Governmental authority figures, such as the FBI and LEOs, commit countless crimes every year, there is no justice in this system, it is perverted.

BTC Long.
xkeyscore89

View Profile
August 11, 2013, 03:00:28 AM

I agree, it is perverted, but it doesn't change the FBI's policy.
BitCoiner2012

View Profile
August 11, 2013, 03:01:56 AM

I agree, it is perverted, but it doesn't change the FBI's policy.

No, that duty is upon Americans to halt unethical behavior within government.

What if their "policy" changed? And the "policy" included a plethora of things that you felt infringed by. Would it just be protocol or "policy" then..?

The bottom line is that crimes should not be committed in order to catch criminals. It is a fundamental failure of how a justice system should work as far as I am concerned.

BTC Long.
xkeyscore89

View Profile
August 11, 2013, 03:11:28 AM

Good luck catching a high-value criminal target without engaging in criminal behavior as an informant to gain trust.
BitCoiner2012

View Profile
August 11, 2013, 03:16:05 AM

Good luck catching a high-value criminal target without engaging in criminal behavior as an informant to gain trust.

Sounds good to me. Let's let the justice system do it's work instead of engaging is Stasi like behavior. Or no?

And perhaps that is arguable. If that's all they were doing. Instead they take kids to jail by selling them drugs, allowing the seller to sell, or selling them themselves. Alternatively, they are on the other side of the coin - buying "illegal" substances. I'm sorry - but why exactly can you possess or distribute these substances if Joe Sixpack doesn't pass GO and hangs out in a cell for doing the same innate action.

Don't buy it. That isn't American, as far as I am concerned. Governmental agencies should not be allowed to engage in crime or facilitate it. However the type of lackluster response most people give (oh, hard murder.. oh just a "terrorist", or just a "druggie") allows them to more easily facilitate much larger crimes (PRISM? Gun Runner..? List goes on indefinitely) over time. The mentality of "it's for the bad guys" HAS to go.

BTC Long.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: