Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 10:20:49 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Live CD experts  (Read 1673 times)
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 08:43:21 PM

i've created an offline wallet with Ubuntu Live CD and saved it to a usb stick.

will bringing that wallet back into the client with a block chain download in a seperate session of Live CD create any wallet fingerprints on the hard drive?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
david4dev

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2011, 09:13:50 PM

As long as you only access the wallet from a live CD and don't move it to another drive it will only ever exist in that location and in memory, which is wiped when you end the live session.
drawoc

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

Firstbits: 175wn

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 09:33:07 PM

will bringing that wallet back into the client with a block chain download in a seperate session of Live CD create any wallet fingerprints on the hard drive?

No, unless you already have a Linux installation, in which case there's a small chance that it will automatically activate that swap partition, and use that if you run out of memory (I don't think it does, but I'm not sure.)
If it is on a computer with Linux on it, just open up gparted when you boot into the live cd. Look for any partitions listed as type "Linux Swap", and if they have the little key icon next to them, right click them and select "swapoff"

Donate: 175WNXmJ1WVhFgVGKUqEhYtAQGRYAvqPA
rabit

Activity: 62
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 09:47:40 PM

No, unless you already have a Linux installation, in which case there's a small chance that it will automatically activate that swap partition, and use that if you run out of memory (I don't think it does, but I'm not sure.)
If it is on a computer with Linux on it, just open up gparted when you boot into the live cd. Look for any partitions listed as type "Linux Swap", and if they have the little key icon next to them, right click them and select "swapoff"

You can check with the top command if your OS is using swap memory.
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 10:01:23 PM

i'm getting multiple low memory warnings as i near the end of the blockchain download.  is there a way to increase memory allocated to the live cd session?
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 10:03:13 PM

how exactly do i do that from a non Linux user?
rabit

Activity: 62
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 10:10:12 PM
Last edit: July 07, 2011, 10:27:03 PM by rabit

Just run the command "top" in the command line and you will see how much memory and swap memory your system uses.

For your first question you could create an encrypted SWAP partition for extending memory and then delete it after you dont need it anymore.

The commands for this are cryptsetup,mount,mkswap and swapon but you need some Linux background to use them, check the man pages of them ("man mount" for example).

It should work like this:

Create a partition with gparted remember which partition you want to use (/dev/sdxx).

Then make as root in commandline:
cryptsetup -c aes-xts-plain -s 512 luksFormat /dev/sdxx
cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/sdxx swap
mkswap /dev/mapper/swap
swapon -U UUID

The UUID is the one of the encrypted partition but i forgot how to find it, perhaps someone else can help (or try swapon /dev/mapper/swap not sure if it works this way).

david4dev

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2011, 09:31:31 AM

You don't need to use the top command. You can launch 'System Monitor' which is usually found in the System->Administration menu. Click on the 'Resources' tab:

https://i.imgur.com/Pk6uA.png
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 01:24:36 PM

You don't need to use the top command. You can launch 'System Monitor' which is usually found in the System->Administration menu. Click on the 'Resources' tab:

thank you. that is much easier for a non Linux person.  looking at your diagram, how do i adjust the swap memory?

rabit, thanks for the command lines but its all gibberish to me!
Xenland
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1003

I'm not just any shaman, I'm a Sha256man

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 01:54:36 PM

no but, I would recommend making another partition on that usb stick just for a reuseable harddrive to put that wallet.dat file
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 01:56:32 PM

no but, I would recommend making another partition on that usb stick just for a reuseable harddrive to put that wallet.dat file

on the usb stick?  what difference would that make?
drgr33n

Activity: 308
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 02:14:21 PM
Last edit: July 08, 2011, 02:25:51 PM by drgr33n

Just create a persistent home filesystem and place it in the root of your usb stick or on the root of your local HDD. Then when you reboot everything will get saved to that file and you can encrypt it or do what you like with it Cheesy

Code:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/WHATEVER/YOU/LIKE/home-rw bs=1M count=SIZE
mkfs.ext4 /WHATEVER/YOU/LIKE/home-rw

SIZE = 512 1024 2056 depending on how big you want the partition. Once you have that file you can drop it onto the root of a accessible HDD and boot your live media.

then on ubuntu I think its F6 and add persistent to the end of your boot command and hit enter.

Or if you like you can download on of my persistence files and extract to the root of your chosen media. For ubuntu I think you have to rename live-rw to casper-rw or home-rw just for a persistent home directory.

http://linuxcoin.co.uk/downloads/persistence/
david4dev

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2011, 02:38:35 PM

how do i adjust the swap memory?

Normally, there is a program called 'gparted' (probably in System->Administration->Gparted or System->Adminitration->Partition Manager) on the live CD that you can use to modify partitions. If you already have a swap partition, you can use gparted to resize it. If you don't, you will need to shrink one of your existing partitions and create a swap drive in the newly created empty space.

There is a detailed gparted tutorial here which should teach you how to do most common operations.

As others have said, you may be better off making a persistent USB.
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 03:14:06 PM

how do i adjust the swap memory?

Normally, there is a program called 'gparted' (probably in System->Administration->Gparted or System->Adminitration->Partition Manager) on the live CD that you can use to modify partitions. If you already have a swap partition, you can use gparted to resize it. If you don't, you will need to shrink one of your existing partitions and create a swap drive in the newly created empty space.

There is a detailed gparted tutorial here which should teach you how to do most common operations.

As others have said, you may be better off making a persistent USB.

i'm going thru your references right now; wow, these are good.  thanks.
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 10:49:44 PM

ok, so i would like to increase the amount of virtual memory dedicated to the Live CD session so i don't get those "memory low" warnings near the end of the blockchain download.

i'm assuming this has nothing to do with partitioning and gparted.

in System Monitor, System tab i show in Hardware 2GB memory.   i assume this is what is maxing out?  this doesn't make sense to me as i thought the client and blockchain wouldn't take up near this amt of space along with Ubuntu. 

is there a way to adjust this higher?

cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 09, 2011, 12:13:59 AM

i have more info regarding the "low memory" warning while downloading block chain in live cd:

around block 128K i get the first of a few low memory warning boxes.  i clicked Examine for details and Disk Usage Analyzer popped up.

1.  the first folder listed is  "/" and is 100% used, size 5.1GB, 20 items
2.  the second sub folder listed is "rofs" and is 34.1% used, 1.7 GB, 18 items.  and it goes down the table with the other sub folders plus this one totalling 100%.
3.  System Monitor shows a Swap of 0 bytes and Memory is 470 MiB (23.5%) of 2.0 GiB.
4.  at the top of Disk Usage Analyzer i see "Total filesystem capacity: 1.3GB (used: 1.3GB available: 0 bytes)"

so "/" is the root folder correct?  

how can i increase this space to get rid of the memory warnings in a live cd session or is this not possible?

drgr33n

Activity: 308
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 09, 2011, 03:26:32 PM

like I said there are several ways but I would look into persistence.
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 09, 2011, 04:51:47 PM

like I said there are several ways but I would look into persistence.

i use Ironkeys.  at one time i stored the entire data directory with wallet.dat on the Ironkey while storing client on laptop.  updating the block chain was painfully slow so i dumped that idea. 

using persistence, is this any different?
wouldn't Linuxcoin also run slowly if stored on Ironkey?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: