Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 05:15:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you think people pulling out of mining is good for Bitcoin?  (Read 4608 times)
illpoet

Activity: 341
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 09:22:30 PM

yeah when asicminer slashes their prices down to .1 btc per eruptor like next month im gonna buy a bunch and give them out to random citizens

Tym's Get Rich Slow scheme: plse send .00001 to
btc: 1DKRaNUnMQkeby6Dk1d8e6fRczSrTEhd8p ltc: LV4Udu7x9aLs28MoMCzsvVGKJbSmrHESnt
thank you.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Damnsammit

Activity: 406

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 09:31:24 PM

ITT: people who are mad because their GPU mining rigs are being marginalized by ASICs. Also, http://dustcoin.com/.
or http://www.coinchoose.com/
and enjoy mining at 5x profitability of BTC  Cheesy Cheesy Wink

What's sad is that you can point people in that direction and still get a response of "I don't want to mine alt-coins" and every day there is a new thread about how GPU mining is dead.

Oh well, you can lead the horse to the water, but you can't force them to drink.
po1992one

Activity: 133
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 09:57:36 PM

yeah when asicminer slashes their prices down to .1 btc per eruptor like next month im gonna buy a bunch and give them out to random citizens

No, next month these wont go .1 btc per eruptor because the chips were bought pretty expensive. But in 6 months it may be the case
Hondaguy

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 08, 2013, 07:50:57 AM

I would think it would be bad but I am not an expert.
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
August 08, 2013, 09:32:09 AM

ITT: people who are mad because their GPU mining rigs are being marginalized by ASICs. Also, http://dustcoin.com/.
or http://www.coinchoose.com/
and enjoy mining at 5x profitability of BTC  Cheesy Cheesy Wink

What's sad is that you can point people in that direction and still get a response of "I don't want to mine alt-coins" and every day there is a new thread about how GPU mining is dead.

Oh well, you can lead the horse to the water, but you can't force them to drink.
Exactly, mining with only 2MH/s on these altcoins can give out a lot of $, quick ROI and enables further investment. People are just too damn ignorant.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
hathmill

Activity: 186
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 08, 2013, 01:27:00 PM

Asic protects Bitcoin against gov attacks etc. AltCoin protects against Bitcoin hegemony.
pisces1999

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 08, 2013, 03:47:12 PM

The working class are all the vendors and developers that actually do something with BTC.

Miners are more like the bouncers of BTC.
alp

Activity: 284
Merit: 101

View Profile
August 08, 2013, 08:24:00 PM

Do you think people pulling out of mining is good for Bitcoin, as the ASIC manufacturers dump their hashrate and bleed GPU miners out of profitability?

I give zero fucks about GPU miners.

I am looking for a good signature. Here could be your advertisement
Damnsammit

View Profile
August 08, 2013, 08:24:52 PM

Do you think people pulling out of mining is good for Bitcoin, as the ASIC manufacturers dump their hashrate and bleed GPU miners out of profitability?

Tough guy is tough.
alp

View Profile
August 08, 2013, 08:26:11 PM

I've been thinking about buying this:

http://www.amazon.com/computers-accessories/dp/B007ZWFKX8

and then buying one ASIC a month. Not to profit, just because I can and it would help distribute the mining. Hell maybe even set up bitcoin foundation as recipient.

GPU mining is something I can't do. My air conditioner in summer doesn't keep up, the extra heat from a box full of GPUs and the power supply to feed them I just can't do.

ASIC mining is something I can do.

GPU mining took the ability for many common people to mine away, ASIC is giving it back.
I don't need a power consuming tower and cards to do ASIC mining.

In the long run the power consumption and generated heat will be as much as with GPU mining, as everybody will be stacking up chips.

Maybe, maybe not.  Depends on so many variables it's hard to tell for sure.  But you get more Th/Watt, which is a good thing.

alp

View Profile
August 08, 2013, 08:27:11 PM

Tough guy is tough.

No need to be tough, just don't see why the survivor of GPU miners is important at all.  The GPU whiners are like the bloated labor unions whining that labor is going to China.  Oh so sad, you can't compete.  Go mine LTC or buy ASICs.

Damnsammit

View Profile
August 08, 2013, 08:28:39 PM

No need to be tough, just don't see why the survivor of GPU miners is important at all.  The GPU whiners are like the bloated labor unions whining that labor is going to China.  Oh so sad, you can't compete.  Go mine LTC or buy ASICs.

That sounds much better than "I give zero fucks"

Sounds like you give a few fucks, or at least an iota of a single fuck.  If you truely gave no fucks, then you wouldn't have felt the need to say so... FUCK.
alp

View Profile
August 08, 2013, 08:31:10 PM

That sounds much better than "I give zero fucks"

Sounds like you give a few fucks, or at least an iota of a single fuck.  If you truely gave no fucks, then you wouldn't have felt the need to say so... FUCK.

Na, still zero fucks given about whether they are profitable or lose their ass.

Damnsammit

View Profile
August 08, 2013, 08:33:50 PM

I'm about the same.  I'm almost done trying to tell people that they are stupid for using GPUs on Bitcoin mining. 

Some people just can't read or something.  Anyone in a Bitcoin mining pool with a GPU is ignorant.  It's as simple as that!
alp

View Profile
August 08, 2013, 09:48:52 PM

I'm about the same.  I'm almost done trying to tell people that they are stupid for using GPUs on Bitcoin mining. 

Some people just can't read or something.  Anyone in a Bitcoin mining pool with a GPU is ignorant.  It's as simple as that!

If you have free hardware and free electricity, it can certainly work.  Most people entering mining are not good at actually accounting for if its a good idea, and plenty of people have been "lucky" through price increases to be bailed out on that decision.  I do spend very little time worrying about the miners, but it gives me a little bit of joy inside seeing people who thought they could get rich quick getting crushed.

Damnsammit

View Profile
August 08, 2013, 09:52:29 PM

If you have free hardware and free electricity, it can certainly work. 

Yes, but even if you have free hardware and free electricity, you are still an idiot for GPU mining Bitcoin.

You can Scrypt mine on middlecoin.com and make a much better return.

Sage

Activity: 632
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 08, 2013, 11:31:40 PM

The more minors the better.

If there is a flaw in Bitcoin ASICS have exposed it... concentrating too much control in too few hands.

Someone needs to create a Bitcoin fork that solves this problem... insuring mining stays widely distributed over as many users as possible.
alp

View Profile
August 08, 2013, 11:42:46 PM

If there is a flaw in Bitcoin ASICS have exposed it... concentrating too much control in too few hands.

Someone needs to create a Bitcoin fork that solves this problem... insuring mining stays widely distributed over as many users as possible.

But they are selling the ASICs to the hands of many.  They can make more money selling to rubes than mining, and there goes your central distribution theory.

Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
August 08, 2013, 11:58:24 PM

You have Asicminer Block Eruptors, and you will have K1 1-Avalon-Chip mini USB miners. These will be sold in the tens of thousands and hundreds of thousands. Then there will be at least a dozen more asic hardware companies coming out with next gen mining equipment.

We will have maybe just as many individual miners, distributed more or less all over the globe.

Some will be in it for profit. Then move on to bigger or faster miners. (Or smaller miners that do more.)
Some will be in it for the lulz. Just because. Or maybe curious.
Some will be in it to actually secure the network.

All of them will secure the network.

Why are there distributed computing projects for finding aliens, prime numbers, cracking codes, folding proteins, solving math problems like pi or chess, rendering 3D images, predicting climates, modeling the universe, looking at genes or DNA, detecting earthquakes, monitoring radioactivity, and finding Golumb rulers? Do any of those make money for the ones running the clients?

Almost NONE. Some have cash prizes. Almost all of them have leaderboards for most processing power, both individually and in teams, so the competition is for the highest number or score, almost like a game.

Bitcoin mining has the side effect (or main effect) of creating something of value.

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
August 09, 2013, 12:00:26 AM

But they are selling the ASICs to the hands of many.  They can make more money selling to rubes than mining, and there goes your central distribution theory.

This.  As evident by how low ASICMiner was able to drop the price of USBMiners there is a lot of markup.  ASICMiner simply sold them that high because well everyone else tripped over their dick and left ASICMiner with no significant competition.  BFL jumping the gun and promising ASICs about a year before it was feasible started this whole staggered start run multi-year pre-order bonanza.  In time though the network will sort it out.  

There will be raw ASIC chips made by at least 3-4 manufacturers (not all of them are going to make it, but at least some will).  I also think eventually most chip builders will take the route that Avalon (and yes AMD) have done and not offer complete miners for sell, instead getting out of the retail business and selling chips to OEMs (yeah that "AMD video card isn't made or sold by AMD, just the chip is").  Which means you probably will see at least a dozen mining OEMs all of the world making end units in a variety of sizes and price points.  

The margins will shrink (probably go negative for a while) and Bitcoin will reflect the relatively boring, low margin commodity business that it is.  The risk takers and speculators will move on to the next shiny and a large number of miners will grind out a small (very small) profit between their capital costs plus electrical costs and the the coins minted.  Many will probably see it not as a way to get rich but as an indirect way to buy Bitcoins in a decentralized fashion.  Input so many hours, plus so much computing power plus so much burnt electricity and out pops a shiny Bitcoin.  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: