Bitcoin Forum
July 04, 2024, 09:50:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: NVIDIA GPU:s not detected when using PCI-E riser  (Read 248 times)
jere (OP)

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 04, 2018, 11:35:01 AM
Last edit: January 04, 2018, 06:00:25 PM by jere

Hi,

I am trying to get a few NVIDIA GPU:s working with PCI-E risers (I have tried three 1060 3gb and one 1070), but windows does not detect them (even if only 2 cards in total are connected). If i connect the NVIDIA GPUs straight to the 16x PCI-E port the GPU:s all work and are stable. If i connect some of my AMD RX 580:s to the same pci-e riser that did not work for the NVIDIA ones (same riser, same motherboard etc), the GPU:s are detected normally. I have tried with 2 different motherboards. I have 2-3 different kinds of risers (all powered USB-risers).

I heard windows 10 only supports 8 GPU:s of the same brand, so my plan was to use 8 AMD cards and 2 NVIDIA one for a total of 10 from one machine (though I am not there yet.. max I have got to work at the same time at the moment is 5).
0xcosmos

Activity: 585
Merit: 110

View Profile
January 04, 2018, 01:03:33 PM

did you changed the bios settings?
changing x16 and x1 lane speeds to gen1 and enable 4g decoding?
ivakar

Activity: 756
Merit: 507

View Profile
January 04, 2018, 02:21:12 PM

Try to flash newest version of bios possible for your mainboard.
How about updates for your windows 10? Have you install fall creation update?
Try to turn on 4g encoding in bios and follow previous advice "changing x16 and x1 lane speeds to gen1".
Maybe you will need a clean reinstall of your windows.
fanatic26

Activity: 756
Merit: 560

View Profile
January 04, 2018, 05:39:08 PM

What you really need to is ditch windows for Linux if you want to mine with that many cards on a single rig. Windows is unstable and tends to blow things up with random windows updates. Linux is so much more stable and is much easier to get a rig with that many cards running.

Stop buying industrial miners, running them at home, and then complaining about the noise.
jere (OP)

View Profile
January 04, 2018, 06:05:31 PM

What you really need to is ditch windows for Linux if you want to mine with that many cards on a single rig. Windows is unstable and tends to blow things up with random windows updates. Linux is so much more stable and is much easier to get a rig with that many cards running.

I hear you. Is it possible to easily change core and memory voltage in Linux? I was had the impression you couldn't, but I might be mistaken. That has been the reason I have stayed with Windows.

Also from the Bios I have not been able to change the core voltage as much as I would have wanted. Not sure if I did something wrong.
reflector

Activity: 826
Merit: 263

View Profile
January 04, 2018, 06:19:07 PM

Turn off all the windows updates dude you will get the stablity in the windows platform too bro. I see many people complaining about the issue happening on the windows platform but there is no issues to me when I am mining the bitcoins.
You have find the issue resolved with the PCI riser cleaned and connected back. When the issue same happened to I have removed all the connected it back again to the mother board and it works well till now.
jere (OP)

View Profile
January 04, 2018, 09:40:06 PM

I will try this tomorrow and see if it helps.
jere (OP)

View Profile
January 07, 2018, 09:30:48 PM

I will try this tomorrow and see if it helps.

This seemed to have helped some. Atleast I got one 1070 working. So far it only works if the PCE-E riser is connected to the 16X PCI-E slot though..
This particular motherboard does not seem to have an option for "4g decoding".

One mention to someone else who might be faced with this problem: it seems like PCI-E splitters (the cards that split a 1X PCI-E port to 2-4 1X PCI-E ports seem to require the PCI-E port to be sett to AUTO from the bios, so setting it to gen1 won't work).
shad0wt1tan

Activity: 3

View Profile
January 29, 2018, 12:16:38 AM

I gotta ASUS Z270-P with 1070 ti. One specific brand (Inno3D) isn’t being detected on risers, the other brand (PNY) is working well. The non-detecting ones work fine straight on x16 slots. Will be trying Linux based miner to give it a go.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: