Bitcoin Forum
July 28, 2024, 07:13:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Coinbase charging 5% for every transaction  (Read 4657 times)
rudystyle (OP)

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 06, 2013, 09:24:26 AM
Last edit: August 06, 2013, 09:54:20 AM by rudystyle

I mostly buy bitcoins  from here or through bitmit selling Amazon Gift Cards. Everyone pays using MT Gox exchange rates. I transfer my bitcoins to coinbase and use coinbase to buy stuff from a merchant who has integrated coinbase payment API.  I checked coinbase exchange rates today and I was shocked to see that its exchange rates was 5% below Mt Gox rates. Thus effectively I was paying 5% extra bitcoins for each transaction. Coinbase is simple to use  and I do like using it for its simplicity, however the huge gap in exchange rates feels that I am fleeced an extra 5% in each transaction just for using them

elor70

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 06, 2013, 09:31:19 AM

yeah i use them too and 5% is very greedy...

btceic

Activity: 392

♫ A wave came crashing like a fist to the jaw ♫

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2013, 10:27:48 AM

Quit spreading FUD, you are clearly getting a discount to mtgox prices, how you can perceive this as a fee is beyond me.

♫ This situation, which side are you on? Are you getting out? Are you dropping bombs? Have you heard of diplomatic resolve? ♫ How To Run A Cheap Full Bitcoin Node For $19 A Year ♫ If I knew where it was, I would take you there. There’s much more than this. ♫ Track Your Bitcoins Value
naphto

Activity: 392

View Profile
August 06, 2013, 11:11:11 AM

If coinbase is simpler it is normal that it would have some fees. You can't have everything for free...
Rygon

Activity: 520
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 06, 2013, 11:14:50 AM

I mostly buy bitcoins  from here or through bitmit selling Amazon Gift Cards. Everyone pays using MT Gox exchange rates. I transfer my bitcoins to coinbase and use coinbase to buy stuff from a merchant who has integrated coinbase payment API.  I checked coinbase exchange rates today and I was shocked to see that its exchange rates was 5% below Mt Gox rates. Thus effectively I was paying 5% extra bitcoins for each transaction. Coinbase is simple to use  and I do like using it for its simplicity, however the huge gap in exchange rates feels that I am fleeced an extra 5% in each transaction just for using them

To the best of my knowledge, Bitpay processes more transactions than anyone, and they use Bitstamp rates, which are 8% less than MtGox as of today. Coinbase has the best exchange rate right now for the those of us who don't want to wait 3+ months for a withdrawal.

Just stop looking at the MtGox exchange rates, and you'll feel better.
rudystyle (OP)

View Profile
August 06, 2013, 12:46:41 PM

Quit spreading FUD, you are clearly getting a discount to mtgox prices, how you can perceive this as a fee is beyond me.

What are you saying ? I am not from the US , there is no way for me to buy bitcoins from coinbase . I can only use my coinbase btc to buy stuff. So I buy my bitcoins from other people at $105/btc . When I use coinbase to purchase stuff from online stores which use coinbase API ,  I end up selling my bitcoins at $98 .  So that's a loss of $7 for every BTC that I spend.  Coinbase already charges fee from the seller , in  the meantime the buyer is also losing 5% per transaction, that's is a huge loss for the buyer. Even Paypal  does NOT charge any fee from the buyer

rudystyle (OP)

View Profile
August 06, 2013, 12:48:49 PM

If coinbase is simpler it is normal that it would have some fees. You can't have everything for free...

Usually only sellers pay the transaction fees not buyers. And I am not adverse to paying transaction fees even as  a buyer but 5% is way too greedy. Paypal and credit cards has 0 fees for buyer

rudystyle (OP)

View Profile
August 06, 2013, 12:51:41 PM

To the best of my knowledge, Bitpay processes more transactions than anyone, and they use Bitstamp rates, which are 8% less than MtGox as of today. Coinbase has the best exchange rate right now for the those of us who don't want to wait 3+ months for a withdrawal.

I am not the one looking at MtGox rates, Bitcoin sellers are the ones who sell at Mt Gox rates. I have no option but to pay MtGox rates while buying BTC. Coinbase only allows US citizens to buy at their rates.  Also I dont convert my BTC  to USD, I use my bitcoins to buy stuff online. I am not a speculator,investor or geek. I am just using it to buy stuff online.

I am not too amused that I  have to buy BTC at $105 and then while paying through coinbase or Bitpay (the two most popular payment processor used by online stores for bitcoins) my 1 BTC has  a purchasing power of $98.

joesmoe2012

Activity: 882
Merit: 501

Ching-Chang;Ding-Dong

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2013, 12:59:07 PM

The rates on coinbase have been getting progressively worse over the past month.

Check out BitcoinATMTalk - https://bitcoinatmtalk.com
Rygon

Activity: 520

View Profile
August 06, 2013, 05:46:27 PM

I am not the one looking at MtGox rates, Bitcoin sellers are the ones who sell at Mt Gox rates. I have no option but to pay MtGox rates while buying BTC. Coinbase only allows US citizens to buy at their rates.  Also I dont convert my BTC  to USD, I use my bitcoins to buy stuff online. I am not a speculator,investor or geek. I am just using it to buy stuff online.

I am not too amused that I  have to buy BTC at $105 and then while paying through coinbase or Bitpay (the two most popular payment processor used by online stores for bitcoins) my 1 BTC has  a purchasing power of $98.

Ahhh, sorry to hear you can't find a good rate outside of the US. It really is a shame that the buy/sell spread has increased so much in just a few months. Blame the legacy banking system and asinine regulations, I suppose?
twmz

Activity: 737

View Profile
August 06, 2013, 06:36:45 PM

I'm not sure it's coinbase's fault that people on the internet are still using inflated (aka bogus) MtGox rates?  The reason that MtGox's rates are way higher than every other exchange is that you can't withdraw USD from MtGox if you sell bitcoins there.  Coinbase and BitPay and others are just being practical and basing their exchange rates off of exchanges other than MtGox's inflated rates.

Was I helpful?  1TwmzX1wBxNF2qtAJRhdKmi2WyLZ5VHRs
WoT, GPG

Bitrated user: ewal.
redwraith

Activity: 188
Merit: 102

View Profile
August 06, 2013, 09:04:57 PM

I'm not sure it's coinbase's fault that people on the internet are still using inflated (aka bogus) MtGox rates?  The reason that MtGox's rates are way higher than every other exchange is that you can't withdraw USD from MtGox if you sell bitcoins there.  Coinbase and BitPay and others are just being practical and basing their exchange rates off of exchanges other than MtGox's inflated rates.

Thank you.  Exactly this...

This is a MtGox problem, not a Coinbase one.
TimJBenham

Activity: 280

View Profile
August 06, 2013, 09:37:32 PM

MTGOX IS NO LONGER THE BITCOIN PRICE. Deal with it.

It is on Bitmit.  Undecided

You are a warlord in the outskirts of the known world struggling to establish a kingdom in the wild lands.
BittBurger

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 07:25:24 PM

The title of this thread is annoyingly inaccurate.

OP:  rephrase your title please.

Owner: "The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
View it on the Blockchain | Genesis Block Newspaper Copies
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: