Bitcoin Forum
May 23, 2024, 05:52:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] SCRYPT HARD FORK BLOCK ON 256000  (Read 3980 times)
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2013, 05:10:52 PM

Ty for the laugh  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

+1

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
ToxicDartFrog

Activity: 196
Merit: 104

View Profile
August 06, 2013, 05:27:00 PM

I'd say the only people really against this right now are ASIC owners. Sucks for them but 'securing the blockchain' is really just fancy speak for trying to hold a monopoly on hashing power and screw the little guy. A BTC fork to scrypt has been discussed for a while now and was even recommended by the guy who made the BTC hashcash algo. There is very good reason to do this unless you WANT the future of BTC to be in the hands of ASICS.

In my opinion one of the major reasons litecoin and the alts have gained so much traction IS the ASIC problem BTC has now.
superduh

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 06, 2013, 05:27:04 PM

this is the dumbest post EVER.
if dude wants to use scrypt go mine or buy some litecoins etc...... or is that too expensive for OP and he wants to make some $$ the easy way.
lame not thought out thread

there are more than enough "scrypt coins" for you guys to enjoy already.
dumb is dumb

ok
superduh

Activity: 602

View Profile
August 06, 2013, 05:29:31 PM

I'd say the only people really against this right now are ASIC owners. Sucks for them but 'securing the blockchain' is really just fancy speak for trying to hold a monopoly on hashing power and screw the little guy. A BTC fork to scrypt has been discussed for a while now and was even recommended by the guy who made the BTC hashcash algo. There is very good reason to do this unless you WANT the future of BTC to be in the hands of ASICS.

In my opinion one of the major reasons litecoin and the alts have gained so much traction IS the ASIC problem BTC has now.

you guys are quite unintelligent if you guys can't figure out that ASICS for scrypt WILL come out.
if you guys do understand that than you guys are borderline morons.
go enjoy your altcoins (litecoin is more or less fine)

alt coins have gained NO traction they are 99.5% speculation and nothing more than that

ok
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
August 06, 2013, 05:33:28 PM
Last edit: August 06, 2013, 07:59:01 PM by DeathAndTaxes

Being in the hands of major GPU farms is somehow "superior".  Don't give me the "anyone with a single GPU can mine Scrypt".  If Bitcoin used Scrypt the difficulty would be so high that a single miner would make a token amount (as they should given their small hardware investment) much like a USB ASIC miner today makes a token amount.  

The parameters for Scrypt used by LTC (et all) are memory weak.  They only use 128KB of memory.  That is more than possible to acheive with an ASIC at reasonable cost.  If BTC used Scrypt there would be Scrypt based ASICS.  If LTC grows large enough to warrant the investment and risk there will be Scrypt based ASICs.

What traction?  
http://coinmarketcap.com/

Bitcoin is 96%+ of the combined "market cap" (as much as I hate that word).
BTC & LTC combined are >99%.  
The other 50+ scamCoins are <1% combined.
(BTW I exclude Ripple as well it is PayPal 2.0)

Name a significant vendor that accepts a crypto-currency that doesn't accept BTC.
Name a major exchange which doesn't accept and altCoin but doesn't accept BTC.
Show me a day where there was more altCoin coverage in mainstream media than BTC coverage.

An alliance of a few loudmouth butt hurt GPU miner and pump and dump scammers isn't "traction".

cp1

Activity: 616

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
August 06, 2013, 05:42:27 PM

So this would use SHA to convert private -> public keys but SCRYPT to show proof of work?

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
August 06, 2013, 05:44:42 PM

So this would use SHA to convert private -> public keys but SCRYPT to show proof of work?

Nothing uses SHA to "convert" private keys to public keys.  Hashing algorithms are not public key cryptography.  Bitcoin (and LTC and every single scamCoin copy) uses ECDSA for generating keypairs (private & public keys) as well as creating and verifying signatures necessary to spend coins.
cp1

Activity: 616

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
August 06, 2013, 05:47:12 PM

Oh you're right, I was thinking of brain wallets.

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
Buffer Overflow
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1015

View Profile
August 06, 2013, 06:10:37 PM
Last edit: August 06, 2013, 06:40:57 PM by Buffer Overflow

I am creating a new fork of Bitcoin that will use Scrypt for hashing on block 256000.
The initial difficulty for scrypt will be 1 to give miners a chance at reliving the good old days of Bitcoin.

Difficulty 1. Yes, sounds much more secure.

*facepalm*

Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2013, 06:18:14 PM

Nothing uses SHA to "convert" private keys to public keys.  Hashing algorithms are not public key cryptography.  Bitcoin (and LTC and every single scamCoin copy) uses ECDSA for generating keypairs (private & public keys) as well as creating and verifying signatures necessary to spend coins.
Don't be so negative about the other coins and call them scamcoins lol, ltc wasn't the first script so it's a copycoin  Cheesy

But yes i agree on the matter.
Random people making random forks, interesting  Cheesy

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
apbyte

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 06, 2013, 06:56:35 PM
Last edit: August 06, 2013, 07:17:30 PM by apbyte

Name a major exchange which doesn't accept BTC.
New York Stock Exchange
Tokyo Stock Exchange
London Stock Exchange
Hong Kong Stock Exchange
Shanghai Stock Exchange
Toronto Stock Exchange
Deutsche Börse

should I continue?

Don't get me wrong - this thread is ridiculous, but thinking that bitcoin has gained "real traction" is only little bit less ridiculous Smiley

In normal news for people who are not involved in crypto world bitcoin is still something strange and unknown and on same level as other crypto things. There was a little hype few months ago and average person saw bitcoin mentioned about 4 times in general news when there was that big jump in price. since then it was mentioned 0 times in last 3 or something months.

I am talking about news that usual people watch and read.

YouGov/Economist Poll

Have you ever heard of Bitcoin?
Yes    30%
No    70%

Have you ever used Bitcoin?
Yes    0.6%
No    99.4%
Raize
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1419

View Profile
August 06, 2013, 07:07:23 PM

I have a standing offer to sell them for 10% of market price for the real fork.  Any takers?  Pre-orders available.

I can beat D&T's offer. I will sell 100BTC on the new fork for 50% of the market price.

You give me 50 original fork BTC, I will give you 100 new fork BTC. I can make a number of such trades if there is anyone legitimately interested...
Blazed
Casascius Addict
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1119

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2013, 07:15:34 PM

I have a standing offer to sell them for 10% of market price for the real fork.  Any takers?  Pre-orders available.

I can beat D&T's offer. I will sell 100BTC on the new fork for 50% of the market price.

You give me 50 original fork BTC, I will give you 100 new fork BTC. I can make a number of such trades if there is anyone legitimately interested...

Id do 20 original fork BTC for 100 from the new fork!!!! 
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2013, 07:22:02 PM

Id do 20 original fork BTC for 100 from the new fork!!!! 
Stop with this crazyness.
Give me 0.1 orginal fork BTC and I will give you 10 new fork BTC  Cheesy

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
albon
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1394

View Profile
August 06, 2013, 07:44:45 PM

So if you are doing this wheres the wallet?

█████████████████████████
██
█████▀▀███████▀▀███████
█████▀░░▄███████▄░░▀█████
██▀░░██████▀░▀████░░▀██
██▀░░▀▀▀████████████░░▀██
██░░█▄████▀▀███▀█████░░██
██░░███▄▄███████▀▀███░░██
██░░█████████████████░░██
██▄░░████▄▄██████▄▄█░░▄██
██▄░░██████▄░░████░░▄██
█████▄░░▀███▌░░▐▀░░▄█████
███████▄▄███████▄▄███████
█████████████████████████
.ROOBET 2.0..██████.IIIIIFASTER & SLEEKER.██████.
|

█▄█
▀█▀
████▄▄██████▄▄████
█▄███▀█░░█████░░█▀███▄█
▀█▄▄░▐█████████▌▄▄█▀
██▄▄█████████▄▄████▌
██████▄▄████████
█▀▀████████████████
██████
█████████████
██
█▀▀██████████████
▀▀▀███████████▀▀▀▀
    PLAY NOW    
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
August 06, 2013, 07:57:18 PM

New York Stock Exchange....
<snip stupid examples>

It was quite obvious in context of the post I was responding too, the other examples, and the message of the entire post, that the meaning was there are no major exchanges which accept OTHER altCoins but not Bitcoins.

The post I was responding to made it seem like there is this massive flow of investment, talent, development, merchant support, etc AWAY from Bitcoin and towards alt-coins.  That obviously isn't true.  While BTC aren't traded on the NYSE, that isn't because for example BTC is dying and the NYSE went with NVC (or some other clonecoin of the week). 

The OP didn't make the claim that ASICs have slowed new interest in BTC the claim was that altCoins were gaining traction at the expense of BTC due to ASICs. My post was to show they aren't.  Even re-reading it now I can't see how anyone would take it any other way, but then I look up at your post and you have proved me wrong.  Your responses were ... well dumb in that context.  However don't worry I updated the post to be even more explicit so you no longer need to apply any thinking before responding.  Your welcome.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
August 06, 2013, 08:04:37 PM

I have a standing offer to sell them for 10% of market price for the real fork.  Any takers?  Pre-orders available.

I said 10% your offer is 5x worse.  Are you trying to rip people off?  Smiley
apbyte

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 06, 2013, 08:25:00 PM

New York Stock Exchange....
<snip stupid examples>

It was quite obvious in context to all the others I mean name a major exchange which accepts an alt-coin and DOESN'T accept Bitcoin.

The post I was responding to made it seem like there is this massive flow of investment, talent, development, merchant support, etc AWAY from Bitcoin and towards alt-coins.  That obviously isn't true.  While BTC aren't traded on the NYSE that isn't because for example BTC is dying and the NYSE went with NVC (or some other clonecoin of the week).

Your responses were ... well dumb.  I updated the post to be even more explicit so you no longer need to apply any thinking.

This whole thread is for jokes and sarcasm Wink

My point was - for usual people value of bitcoin and value of other coins i exactly same.

In crypto world - yes bitcoin is leader, but with general population after few years - leader will be the one with best connections and biggest budget for marketing.

And with that in mind - is it really that impossible for other scrypt coin to overcome bitcoin? Let's think about your mentioned NVC .. that is russian coin ... now imagine all those crazy russian billionaires buying biggest castles in world and buying biggest yachts ... what if they get bored and suddenly want their own money and decide to put few billions in marketing for NVC just because it's russian? What would happen with bitcoin in that case? Bitcoin as completely decentralised currency doesn't have significant investment from anyone and so is easy target for everyone with money to overrule.

Don't get offended - just discussing that bitcoin has it's own flaws and it's base idea of decentralization is not definitely proof of success. Things can easily turn around at any given moment.
Oldminer
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 06, 2013, 08:28:44 PM

Yay, I'm gonna be rich!

If you like my post please feel free to give me some positive rep https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=trust;u=18639
Tip me BTC: 1FBmoYijXVizfYk25CpiN8Eds9J6YiRDaX
Raize
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1419

View Profile
August 06, 2013, 09:10:54 PM

I said 10% your offer is 5x worse.  Are you trying to rip people off?  Smiley

Oh, you're correct. I guess I read that as "10% off" not "10% of". Okay I'll do 5%!

5 original fork BTC for 100 new fork BTC!
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: