Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 06:47:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Which wallet to use  (Read 253 times)
Xeils (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 04, 2018, 12:43:13 PM

Hello guys. I just joined this forum and i was wondering... Which walled is best? I was thinking to invest some money, probably into Bitcoin. Can you recommend me some, and tell me your opinion and why you think it is best choice?
mocacinno
Legendary

Activity: 3402
Merit: 4984

https://merel.mobi => buy facemasks with BTC/LTC

View Profile WWW
January 04, 2018, 12:44:10 PM

Hello guys. I just joined this forum and i was wondering... Which walled is best? Can you recommend me some, and tell me your opinion and why you think it is best choice?

Depends on your usecase...

Do you want to buy and HODL, i'd suggest a properly generated paper wallet or a hardware wallet

Do you want to buy a lot of BTC, but use them for day-to-day transactions, i'd suggest a hardware wallet like the ledger or trezor

Do you want to start using BTC, but won't invest a lot of fiat into crypto, you can go for a decent desktop wallet, like bitcoin core or electrum. Core is a bit safer (since you verify all blocks and transactions yourself), but it requires a lot of diskspace and sync time. Electrum is an SPV wallet, it requires very little hardware requirements and only takes a couple of seconds/minutes to sync.

Do you want to get robbed? Go for an online wallet or an exchange... In the longrun, that's your best option to lose everything.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Xeils (OP)

Activity: 7

View Profile
January 04, 2018, 12:49:31 PM

Hello guys. I just joined this forum and i was wondering... Which walled is best? Can you recommend me some, and tell me your opinion and why you think it is best choice?

Do you want to buy and HODL, i'd suggest a properly generated paper wallet or a hardware wallet

Do you want to buy a lot of BTC, but use them for day-to-day transactions, i'd suggest a hardware wallet like the ledger or trezor

Do you want to start using BTC, but won't invest a lot of fiat into crypto, you can go for a decent desktop wallet, like bitcoin core or electrum. Core is a bit safer (since you verify all blocks and transactions yourself), but it requires a lot of diskspace and sync time. Electrum is an SPV wallet, it requires very little hardware requirements and only takes a couple of seconds/minutes to sync.

Do you want to get robbed? Go for an online wallet or an exchange... In the longrun, that's your best option to lose everything.

I was thinking in doing some trading and holding. maybe one day if i join some signature campaign i could use it for that too. I have seen that forum have option for Bitcoin core. So you think it would be best if i use Core... Ok i will go and check it out, it sounds like good choice for anything. Thanks for fast answer.
Marteel

Activity: 112

View Profile
January 04, 2018, 01:04:20 PM

hardware wallets are best imho. for trading you can keep your money on well known exchanges by taking security preventions.
alexn3620

Activity: 55

View Profile
January 04, 2018, 01:17:56 PM

Everything depends on the purpose, why you are purse and what kind of activity you will have.
1. If you bought a coin for a long time, then the best is a hard wallet.
2. If you plan to trade with a crypto currency, it's better to have an online wallet.
The harder purse is safer, there is no access to it when you are connected to the network.
mocacinno
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 04, 2018, 02:00:56 PM

I was thinking in doing some trading and holding. maybe one day if i join some signature campaign i could use it for that too. I have seen that forum have option for Bitcoin core. So you think it would be best if i use Core... Ok i will go and check it out, it sounds like good choice for anything. Thanks for fast answer.

Good choice, core is a good wallet... Do make sure you have enough diskspace and have some time to sync the blocks... Also, make sure your PC is clean, make sure you use a strong password to lock your wallet, and make sure you take a decent backup (if you use core for a HD wallet, only one backup is needed AFTER you locked your wallet).

hardware wallets are best imho. for trading you can keep your money on well known exchanges by taking security preventions.

no security prevention can protect you against exhange hacks, exchange scams, bancrupcy, insolvency... And even with the necessary precautions, i've seen people falling victim to phising...

Everything depends on the purpose, why you are purse and what kind of activity you will have.
1. If you bought a coin for a long time, then the best is a hard wallet.
2. If you plan to trade with a crypto currency, it's better to have an online wallet.
The harder purse is safer, there is no access to it when you are connected to the network.

I would never recommand an online wallet... If you trade regularly, use a desktop wallet for reasonably small amounts or a hardware wallet for bigger amounts

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Welsh
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3276
Merit: 4111

View Profile
January 04, 2018, 02:34:36 PM

Any wallet on Bitcoin.org (https://bitcoin.org/en/choose-your-wallet) which allows full control over funds will be suitable. If you are holding a large amount of coins and won't be accessing them regular then a paper wallet or a private key generated offline would be more suitable.

Wallets which allow full control over funds:
- Bitcoin core
- Bitcoin knots
- Armory
- mSIGNA
- Bither
- Electrum

Depending on your usage some of these wallets will be more suitable than others.
MP4

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 04, 2018, 03:18:43 PM

top bitcoin wallets
myetherwallet

If you like gamers take a look on enjin coin, they are creating their own wallet
Suthrn1

Activity: 1

View Profile
January 04, 2018, 06:47:06 PM

I have a question, I started using yobit, they give free coin by clicking on a button, its not a lot of coin but it is free. does anyone have experience using their exchange? They have coin I cant get from my other exchanges?
Crypto_Addict

Activity: 48

View Profile
January 04, 2018, 06:56:37 PM

I've used Electrum in the past, never had any problems.
If you want your own hard wallet I suggest Trezor or Ledger Nano S
Ciscopro2000

Activity: 495
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 04, 2018, 07:30:13 PM

Here is a great introduction to wallets https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1631151.0;all.  Use wallets for different purposes.  Online wallets for fast trading, software/desktop wallets are like your checking accounts, and hardware wallets are similar to your savings accounts. 
mocacinno
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 05, 2018, 12:01:56 PM

top bitcoin wallets
myetherwallet

If you like gamers take a look on enjin coin, they are creating their own wallet

hmm... So your top bitcoin wallet is an online ether wallet... This is wrong on so many levels  Roll Eyes

I have a question, I started using yobit, they give free coin by clicking on a button, its not a lot of coin but it is free. does anyone have experience using their exchange? They have coin I cant get from my other exchanges?

please don't hijack other people's tread to ask unrelated questions... If you have a question, try searching for the answer on an existing thread first, and if you don't find an existing thread: open a new one.

That being said: yobit is more or less legit... Their free coins faucet is usually giving away free crap coins that are worth close to nothing... But once in a while, they give away a coin that gets pumped after a couple of months, and you can actually walk away with some real coins.
Do be carefull when using yobit, they have a habit of lousy customer support, it's been years ago since i intensively used them, but back then it could take them months to answer a user's ticket, and it looks like their support hasn't improved lately. They also have a habit of taking a wallet down for maintenance and then just leave it down for a very long time...

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
MaxGiant57001

Activity: 53

View Profile
January 05, 2018, 12:40:01 PM

Coinomi is a multi-asset wallet that supports every cryptocurrency and token you can dream of.  Using ShapeShift, they allow easy exchanges between any of the supported assets from within the interface. No identity-linking, no IP or transaction tracking, and your IP is even filtered through their servers for added anonymity. Its easy to verify security with their open source ecosystem.
uberproteam
Copper Member

Activity: 60

Decentralized Freelancer Community

View Profile WWW
January 05, 2018, 12:46:56 PM

The best wallet for BTC for new comers is "Electroneum" "blockchainwallet.info" "myceleum" for cold wallet you can try "samurai" I have not tried samurai though.

mocacinno
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 05, 2018, 12:50:38 PM

The best wallet for BTC for new comers is "Electroneum" "blockchainwallet.info" "myceleum" for cold wallet you can try "samurai" I have not tried samurai though.

Electroneum: AFAIK, electroneum is an altcoin... Do you mean, by any chance, electrum (like many other have already posted in this thread)

blockchainwallet.info: This domain is for sale... Do you mean the ONLINE wallet blockchain.info (sure, as far as online wallets go, this might be the best online wallet out there, but by default, an online wallet isn't the "best" wallet out there as far as i'm concerned)

myceleum: at least, this one actually IS a bitcoin wallet. However, it's a mobile phone wallet. I wouldn't put to much faith into a mobile wallet, since mobile phones are easily lost, stolen or broken

samurai wallet: this one is still in alpha phase, it looks nice, but i wouldn't use it to store a lot of funds.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
bingble

Activity: 111

View Profile WWW
January 05, 2018, 01:06:10 PM

So many useful information...  I am using some online exchangers to do the transactions, but I don't want to be robbed. Would you like to recommend some better exchangers?  And do you know why bittex, bitfinex, binance and other exchangers stop new user registration ?
mocacinno
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 05, 2018, 01:22:30 PM

So many useful information...  I am using some online exchangers to do the transactions, but I don't want to be robbed. Would you like to recommend some better exchangers?  And do you know why bittex, bitfinex, binance and other exchangers stop new user registration ?

i'm not a real trader... Sure i do exchange some alt's from time to time, but it's not like i do this for a living... So i might not be the best person to suggest the "best" exchanges.
I wasn't aware that a lot of exchanges stopped registration... I do know i got some of my accounts blocked untill i provide identification information (but since i never keep any BTC stored on an exchange, i will not provide any information and just stop using those exchanges).

There might be a couple of reasons for them to stop accepting new members and kicking old members: stricter KYC regulations, the huge price swings, backlog in maintenance or tickets or just plain old greed (if they use a loophole to kick account holders, they *might* have found a semi-legal way to rob their own users)

If you don't want to get robbed, you must understand that when you keep your money on any online wallet or exchange, you're putting yourself at risk.
By chosing a licenced exchange, using unique passwords, enabling 2FA, keep on checking the websites certificates and never click any links in emails, you might minimise your risk... But even then, your risk is waaay higher than when you use an encrypted desktop wallet on a clean pc (with backups)... And if you switch to a hardware wallet, a paper wallet or an airgapped wallet, you can reduce the risk even further.

The main problem with exchanges and online wallets is the fact that you're not the only one in controll of your private keys. In many cases, you're not able to access the private keys at all. This means that if the exchange runs away, gets hacked, goes bancrupt: you lose everything.
Other than that, online wallets and exchanges are far more vulnerable to phising, hacking, brute forcing,... compared to other wallets.
So by storing your BTC online, you expose yourself to multiple risks that simply don't exist when you use a decent wallet.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
raziplab92

Activity: 44

View Profile
January 05, 2018, 01:37:15 PM

if you want to hold bitcoins best option is hard wallet Trezor and ledger Nano S are good but if you have mind to do trading of other cryptocurencies then put your bitcoins in some well reputed exchange and enable the security authenticator.As per my mind you cant trust anyone in online earning so I would suggest you spread your capital in more than 1 wallets but if we talk about hard wallet that is the best option you owns your money.Alternatively myetherwallet is also a good choice if you have mind to buy etherium.
msuheb

Activity: 136
Merit: 5

Einc : An Ethereum Fork

View Profile
January 05, 2018, 03:25:59 PM

Hello guys. I just joined this forum and i was wondering... Which walled is best? I was thinking to invest some money, probably into Bitcoin. Can you recommend me some, and tell me your opinion and why you think it is best choice?
Could you please tell us that from which country you are?
Cause wallet services differ from region to region...
mocacinno
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 05, 2018, 03:30:57 PM

Could you please tell us that from which country you are?
Cause wallet services differ from region to region...

Only if you're going to tell the OP to use an online wallet or an exchange... Real, secure, wallets (like desktop wallets, hardware wallet, paper wallets, airgapped wallets) don't care about your country. Bitcoin is decentralised. As long as you have a basic internet conntection to broadcast transactions, download blocks, query SPV nodes,... and a device, you're OK

@OP: like i said before, in this very post, i would seriously discourage the use of online wallets or exchanges to hold your funds... If you care about your privacy, there is no reason to tell us which country you're from...

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████