Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 05:51:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin slow to download the block chain?  (Read 5284 times)
nickwit (OP)

Activity: 80
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 10:27:42 PM
Last edit: July 08, 2011, 04:05:47 AM by error

Someone paid me some bitcoins yesterday - if I look in Bitcoin-explorer the transaction is there... though for reasons I don't understand, there actually appears to be two transactions

http://blockexplorer.com/address/1B6TPhjmRWNHwDxtjax5WTy4RyPWCeVY3q

but it hasn't turned up in my bitcoin client.

So I leave it overnight... still not there.

In the same time, HSBC have completed a transaction.

So um... am I missing something here - because as far as I can see, bitcoin is really slow.

Out of curiosity, why are there two transactions for 1B6TPhjmRWNHwDxtjax5WTy4RyPWCeVY3q ?
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
hawks5999

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2011, 10:29:33 PM

has your client downloaded all blocks yet?

■ ▄▄▄
■ ███
■ ■  ■               
LEDGER  WALLET    ████
■■■ ORDER NOW! ■■■
              LEDGER WALLET
Smartcard security for your BTCitcoins
■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■
Decentralized. Open. Secure.
elggawf

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 10:30:50 PM

There's two transactions because your friend's addresses didn't have the full amount on one address.

The transaction is already long processed by the look of things - your client is broken. Compare the "blocks" line at the bottom of it with output from BlockExplorer or BitcoinCharts and see how far behind it is.

^_^
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 10:34:08 PM

Someone paid me some bitcoins yesterday - if I look in Bitcoin-explorer the transaction is there... though for reasons I don't understand, there actually appears to be two transactions

http://blockexplorer.com/address/1B6TPhjmRWNHwDxtjax5WTy4RyPWCeVY3q

but it hasn't turned up in my bitcoin client.

So I leave it overnight... still not there.

If it's visable in Blockexplorer, you already have it.  It's your client that isn't seeing the transaction, for whatever reason.

In the same time, HSBC have completed a transaction.

So um... am I missing something here - because as far as I can see, bitcoin is really slow.

Out of curiosity, why are there two transactions for 1B6TPhjmRWNHwDxtjax5WTy4RyPWCeVY3q ?

That second one is curious.  Are you in a mining pool using this address?

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 10:36:02 PM

There's two transactions because your friend's addresses didn't have the full amount on one address.

No, that's not it.  Even if his friend didn't have the full amount on one address, bitcoin consolidates by default, and all of the input addresses would have been included into one transaction and processed at the same time.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 10:37:34 PM

why should that matter?  he should still have only one receiving address in there if thats all he gave the sender...
elggawf

Activity: 308

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 10:46:59 PM

No, that's not it.  Even if his friend didn't have the full amount on one address, bitcoin consolidates by default, and all of the input addresses would have been included into one transaction and processed at the same time.

My mistake, didn't notice that.

^_^
nickwit (OP)

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 10:47:55 PM

Nope - not mining

re: downloading all blocks... that'll be why. My client says "133901", Bitcoin charts says 135218.

It claims to have one connection - oop... now it's zero... now it's one again. The 133901 appears not to change... no... I lie, after about 5 minutes, it's gone up to 133902

Now it has two connections and it's gone up to 133903.

So... 135218-133903=1315 ... at about 12 blocks downloaded an hour - that comes to about 4.5 days... about the time it would take to send money in cash, by plane.

Down to zero connections again.

I've got client version .3.17 - do I need to upgrade it or something?
IlbiStarz

Activity: 336

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 10:55:37 PM

Try starting bitcoin with fallback nodes.

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Fallback_Nodes
natman3400

Activity: 98

firstbits: 1nathana

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 10:57:43 PM

Probably not what causing it, or it might be, I don't know. That would be a good idea. If im not mistaken, the current version is .3.23

Support the BitClip project:
http://bit.ly/vghQFK
Donate to bitclip: 1BCincd4sHM1ou5QcxZ4vc4hKzsxXCpQT
Dontate to me: 1NathanAubdutd4kW4VwfcEXEWvgkqEq7V
PGP key 1: http://goo.gl/TUIWe
PGP key 2: http://goo.gl/jrfaI
Proof both keys belong to me: http://goo.gl/dQSHl
DamienBlack

Activity: 56
Merit: 1

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 11:03:39 PM

Probably not what causing it, or it might be, I don't know. That would be a good idea. If im not mistaken, the current version is .3.23

If I remember, there were connection issues with older client. Something about a pseudo-ddos. Try upgrading.
nickwit (OP)

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 11:30:18 PM

Ah... and now the nightmares start. Anyone know what to do about this - I'm running ubuntu 9.10

/lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.11' not found (required by /home/nick/bitcoin-0.3.23/bin/64/bitcoin)
twobits

Activity: 574

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 11:56:20 PM

Nope - not mining

re: downloading all blocks... that'll be why. My client says "133901", Bitcoin charts says 135218.

It claims to have one connection - oop... now it's zero... now it's one again. The 133901 appears not to change... no... I lie, after about 5 minutes, it's gone up to 133902

So... 135218-133903=1315 ... at about 12 blocks downloaded an hour - that comes to about 4.5 days... about the time it would take to send money in cash, by plane.

Seems you are behind a nat router?  You need to either map the ports, or if it supports upnp , turn that on.  You probably need a newer version to have that option.

█████                █████      ███████             
█████                ███    █████████████       
█████                ██  █████████████████   
█████                █  ██████              ██████ 
█████                    ████                      ████ 
█████████████  █████                        ████
█████                    █████                             
█████                █  ██████              ███████
█████                ██  ███████████    █████ 
█████                ███    █████████    ████   
█████                █████      ███████    ██
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
HyperQuant.net
Platform for Professional Asset Management
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
WhitePaper
One-Pager
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
Telegram 
Facebook
Twitter
Medium
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
twobits

Activity: 574

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 11:58:09 PM

Ah... and now the nightmares start. Anyone know what to do about this - I'm running ubuntu 9.10

/lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.11' not found (required by /home/nick/bitcoin-0.3.23/bin/64/bitcoin)

Build from source so it is build using the libraries you have, or install the version of the libraries it is build against.

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
HyperQuant.net
Platform for Professional Asset Management
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
WhitePaper
One-Pager
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
Telegram 
Facebook
Twitter
Medium
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 11:59:31 PM

Nope - not mining

All right, I know what is happening, as I have had it happen to me.  Restart your client using the -rescan, -noirc and -addnode= switches.  The addnode= switch needs the IP address of a fallback node just after the equal sign.  Use two or more fallback nodes.  The client should then rescan the blockchain and then not announce it's presence on the IRC channel, but it will get more nodes from the fallback nodes, and other nodes should do the same for you.

nickwit (OP)

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 12:20:57 AM

Ok - I'm using this

/home/nick/bitcoin-0.3.17/bin/64/bitcoin  -rescan -noirc -addnode=64.31.38.250-addnode=74.82.216.10 -addnode=178.63.62.15 -addnode=173.224.125.222 -addnode=91.85.220.84 -addnode=91.85.220.84 -addnode=173.224.125.222 -addnode=86.5.50.90 -addnode=178.255.199.8

How long should I have to wait before it does anything?

I've waited 10 minutes and it's still showing a grand total of zero connections... ever once in a while it'll make 1 connection - but not enough to dowload a single block
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 12:23:31 AM

Ok - I'm using this

/home/nick/bitcoin-0.3.17/bin/64/bitcoin  -rescan -noirc -addnode=64.31.38.250-addnode=74.82.216.10 -addnode=178.63.62.15 -addnode=173.224.125.222 -addnode=91.85.220.84 -addnode=91.85.220.84 -addnode=173.224.125.222 -addnode=86.5.50.90 -addnode=178.255.199.8

How long should I have to wait before it does anything?

I've waited 10 minutes and it's still showing a grand total of zero connections... ever once in a while it'll make 1 connection - but not enough to dowload a single block

Then you have a firewall that is actively killing your outbound connections.  If you were just blocked for inbound connections, you'd hit 8 and stay there.  More than 8 means that you're unblocked.  A single connection that keeps dying means that there is an active process killing your connections.

geek-trader

Activity: 294

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 12:35:01 AM

Before you go messing around installing new clients or changing you glibc libraries (don't do that, btw), BACK UP YOUR WALLET.DAT to a thumb drive or burn it to a CD.

you accidentally nuke your wallet.dat and you'll never see the money.

It's threads like this that prove that BTC is not ready for the masses yet.  This guy is somewhat technical (he runs linux) and he didn't know what was going on.  How's Grandma gonna do?

Make 1 deposit and earn BTC for life! http://bitcoinpyramid.com/r/345
Play my FREE HTML5 games at: http://magigames.org  BTC donations accepted.
hawks5999

Activity: 168

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2011, 12:36:32 AM

It's threads like this that prove that BTC is not ready for the masses yet.  This guy is somewhat technical (he runs linux) and he didn't know what was going on.  How's Grandma gonna do?

Grandma's gonna run Windows...

■ ▄▄▄
■ ███
■ ■  ■               
LEDGER  WALLET    ████
■■■ ORDER NOW! ■■■
              LEDGER WALLET
Smartcard security for your BTCitcoins
■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■
Decentralized. Open. Secure.
geek-trader

Activity: 294

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 12:43:27 AM

Grandma's gonna run Windows...

And that would change the situation, how?  He didn't know he needed his block count to be current.  Why would he know?  There's no tool tip or documentation with the client that even says what a block count is.

Make 1 deposit and earn BTC for life! http://bitcoinpyramid.com/r/345
Play my FREE HTML5 games at: http://magigames.org  BTC donations accepted.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: