Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 09:56:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How your taxes are spent...  (Read 8086 times)
Anonymous

July 07, 2011, 10:58:21 PM

Three contractors are bidding to fix a broken fence at the White House in DC. One is from New York , another is from Tennessee and the third is from Florida.

All three go with a White House official to examine the fence. The Florida contractor takes out a tape measure and does some measuring, then works some figures with a pencil. "Well," he says, "I figure the job will run about $900: $400 for materials, $400 for my crew and $100 profit for me."

The Tennessee contractor also does some measuring and figuring, then says, "I can do this job for $700: $300 for materials, $300 for my crew and $100 profit for me."

The New York contractor doesn't measure or figure, but leans over to the White House official and whispers, "$2,700." The official, incredulous, says, "You didn't even measure like the other guys! How did you come up with such a high figure?" The New York contractor whispers back, "$1000 for me, $1000 for you, and we hire the guy from Tennessee to fix the fence." "Done!" replies the government official. And that, my friends, is how government contracting works!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2011, 11:29:13 PM

funny because it's true...

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
TheGer

Activity: 602

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 09:12:43 PM

This is how Govt. contracts work.

http://www.halliburtonwatch.org/about_hal/costplus.html
ascent

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 09, 2011, 02:42:09 AM

All this is true.

So is this: Corporations exploit the earth in other nations by going there, bribing the officials with money and prostitutes in order to gain access to local resources, and then proceed to do untold damage to the ecosystem all to make a buck manufacturing palm oil.
NghtRppr

Activity: 504
Merit: 252

Elder Crypto God

View Profile WWW
July 09, 2011, 02:46:03 AM

All this is true.

So is this: Corporations exploit the earth in other nations by going there, bribing the officials with money and prostitutes in order to gain access to local resources, and then proceed to do untold damage to the ecosystem all to make a buck manufacturing palm oil.

You don't own the entire ecosystem of the planet.
ascent

View Profile
July 09, 2011, 02:48:12 AM

Stupid fucking answer.
NghtRppr

Elder Crypto God

View Profile WWW
July 09, 2011, 02:59:03 AM

Stupid fucking answer.

I'm sorry that you feel entitled to the entire planet but I just think you need to be reminded that you don't own the Earth and therefore your opinions on what to do with it are essentially worthless.
ascent

View Profile
July 09, 2011, 03:00:53 AM

I'm sorry that you feel entitled to the entire planet but I just think you need to be reminded that you don't own the Earth and therefore your opinions on what to do with it are essentially worthless.

So you're in favor of parasites and borrowing that which cannot be paid back?
ascent

View Profile
July 09, 2011, 03:02:39 AM

Also, my opinions are in line with science and those who have taken the time to study the ramifications of these things. Your opinion is in line with greedy people who have not taken the time to study any damn thing which would get in the way of their own selfish desires.
NghtRppr

Elder Crypto God

View Profile WWW
July 09, 2011, 03:07:42 AM

A parasite on who? Do you own the world? No, so how can anyone be a parasite towards you? Borrowing from who? Do you own the world? No, so how can anyone be borrowing from you?

I'm beginning to see that most of the statists on these forums have two things in common, a severe deficit in civility and an inflated sense of entitlement.
ascent

View Profile
July 09, 2011, 03:11:33 AM

A parasite on who? Do you own the world? No, so how can anyone be a parasite towards you? Borrowing from who? Do you own the world? No, so how can anyone be borrowing from you?

I'm beginning to see that most of the statists on these forums have two things in common, a severe deficit in civility and an inflated sense of entitlement.

I offered some reading material to you, but you were too obtuse to take me up on the offer. This reinforced my suspicion that you do indeed wish to ignore (and thus remain ignorant) of those facts which would cloud your judgement regarding your own selfish desires.
NghtRppr

Elder Crypto God

View Profile WWW
July 09, 2011, 03:22:24 AM

I offered some reading material to you, but you were too obtuse to take me up on the offer. This reinforced my suspicion that you do indeed wish to ignore (and thus remain ignorant) of those facts which would cloud your judgement regarding your own selfish desires.

Selfish desires? I have no dog in this race. I don't own an oil refinery, coal-burning power plant or lumber company. I like pristine land, clean air and fresh water just as much as you do. I just happen to have principles that prevent me from grabbing whatever I want by force.

Please just answer the questions. A parasite on who? Borrowing from who? Can you answer? If not, stop wasting my time. Your childish temper tantrums only illustrate how morally and intellectually bankrupt your position is.
ascent

View Profile
July 09, 2011, 03:27:29 AM

I like pristine land, clean air and fresh water just as much as you do.

Then educate yourself. There are those who claim to like the above, and those who really do. I suspect you're the former, by virtue of your ignorance on how economies interact with the environment and what the long term effects are. I've already offered plenty of information to you. If I thought you were genuinely interested, I would willingly offer more.

It's up to you.
NghtRppr

Elder Crypto God

View Profile WWW
July 09, 2011, 03:32:33 AM

It's up to you.

No, it's up to you whether or not you answer my questions. A parasite on who? Borrowing from who? I suspect the answer is some absurd notion of society at large or future generations or anyone else besides the people that actually own the land in question.
ascent

View Profile
July 09, 2011, 03:35:33 AM

No, it's up to you whether or not you answer my questions. A parasite on who? Borrowing from who? I suspect the answer is some absurd notion of society at large or future generations or anyone else besides the people that actually own the land in question.

You're obviously not really interested.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
July 09, 2011, 03:37:42 AM

You're obviously not really interested.

Then why is he asking you a question?

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
ascent

View Profile
July 09, 2011, 03:46:28 AM

I know why he is asking the question. But that does not mean I need to share the answer with you.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
July 09, 2011, 03:48:32 AM

I know why he is asking the question. But that does not mean I need to share the answer with you.

Translation: I can't answer without sounding like a moron.

ascent

View Profile
July 09, 2011, 03:50:33 AM

No. The correct translation is: It's not worth wasting one's time with those who are not really interested.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
July 09, 2011, 03:56:02 AM

No. The correct translation is: It's not worth wasting one's time with those who are not really interested.

I don't know why I'm trying.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: