Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 10:17:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Renewable Energy Idea with Heat From Miners  (Read 146 times)
sockoloons (OP)

Activity: 65
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 04, 2018, 06:43:55 PM

How feasible is this?

I know that miners generate a lot of heat and require a lot of electricity, would it be possible to take all that heat to create steam and power a turbine?

How feasible is this? Getting generators and turbines for cheap is relatively easy for me.

Could you create a self-sufficient plant essentially? Create your own electricity, reuse the heat to generate more?

What do you guys think?
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mnafta

Activity: 57

View Profile
January 05, 2018, 01:04:43 AM

Hey,

I have been asking myself this question for a while. I have a small mining setup I made with a close buddy of mine.

I was thinking to expand. Where I live, you can buy a small plot of land with a mobile home on it for very cheap. You cannot lay foundation but it's not a bad option for a small rig, if you can cancel out the noise it would produce. It is perfect for trips with the family, to get out of the city. I wanted to outfit the place with solar panels, a wind-tree, rain-water collector and learn how to create a self-sustainable home while also mining with the energy when I am not there.

I know a power engineer who I could ask to come visit this thread but I am not sure how fast he will react, maybe someone else will answer before then. Where do you get your turbines / generators? I mean geographically speaking, from where are they shipped? I would also be potentially interested in the medium-long term.
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3626
Merit: 2531

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
January 05, 2018, 01:43:12 AM

Search around sites like Critical Power
Many many used off-grid generators there. A Google search for "used prime-power generator" will turn up more.

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 1FuzzyWc2J8TMqeUQZ8yjE43Rwr7K3cxs9
 -Sole remaining active developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
sockoloons (OP)

Activity: 65

View Profile
January 05, 2018, 03:20:14 PM

Hey,

I have been asking myself this question for a while. I have a small mining setup I made with a close buddy of mine.

I was thinking to expand. Where I live, you can buy a small plot of land with a mobile home on it for very cheap. You cannot lay foundation but it's not a bad option for a small rig, if you can cancel out the noise it would produce. It is perfect for trips with the family, to get out of the city. I wanted to outfit the place with solar panels, a wind-tree, rain-water collector and learn how to create a self-sustainable home while also mining with the energy when I am not there.

I know a power engineer who I could ask to come visit this thread but I am not sure how fast he will react, maybe someone else will answer before then. Where do you get your turbines / generators? I mean geographically speaking, from where are they shipped? I would also be potentially interested in the medium-long term.

They're from Canada. You could probably guess where they are being used, since they're generally used for Oil and Gas. I know plenty of owners that are selling their equipment so I can definitely get some.

Do you think this is feasible? You generate your own electricity and reuse the heat for more electricity. I worked with an Oil and Gas facility that generated their own electricity and also reused it by using a steam turbine. Doing this they generated 50 - 100 MW and sold excess power to the grid. The generators are huge though.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: