Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 09:36:29 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I think I'm done GPU mining  (Read 4148 times)
phorensic (OP)

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 06, 2013, 05:10:16 PM

Guess what doesn't make a shit ton of noise 24 hours a day?  My Block Erupter
Guess what doesn't make my mining room 85F even with ventilation and A/C?  My Block Erupter
Guess what doesn't take 800w of power?  My Block Erupter
Guess what doesn't crash my computer every couple of days?  My Block Erupter
Guess what doesn't have constant driver problems that are impossible to solve?  My Block Erupter
Guess what doesn't break when I update my GPU drivers?  My Block Erupter
Guess what doesn't fail to set clock speeds, initialize, compile a kernel, etc on startup of cgminer?  My Block Erupter
Guess what doesn't keep my Windows 8 login screen from loading because the GPU drivers are corrupt from the computer crashing so much?  My Block Erupter
Guess what doesn't take even MORE power, heat, noise from trying to mine scrypt instead of SHA-256 and causing more crashes?  My Block Erupter
Guess what doesn't slow down when I want to play a video game?  My Block Erupter
Guess what doesn't kill a motherboard and multiple PSU's because it draws so much power and puts out so much heat?  My Block Erupter

My 3 GPU's now only make me something shitty like $1 a day.  Even though my Block Erupter is only 333MH/s, I can let it run forever without having to do any work.  Plus, I've been mining since the middle of 2011 and now I can finally play video games again!

In before trolls say:
"Guess what will never ROI?  Your Block Erupter"
I'm ready to invest in the next ASIC which doesn't cost $20,000 and can ship the same day I order it like my Block Erupter.  Haven't seen one, yet.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
escrow.ms
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
August 06, 2013, 05:13:48 PM

Guess what doesn't mines litecoins ? Your block erupter.  Grin
azw409

Activity: 73
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 06, 2013, 05:14:24 PM

Me too, I've just bought 2 i.e. around 700 MH/s with no noise, no heat and no more hard disk failures due to overheating.

I suspect that it will never ROI especially given the massive jumps in difficulty but it will generate me some bit-dimes to play with.

azw409

View Profile
August 06, 2013, 05:16:36 PM

Who wants to mine Litecoins, it's a waste of time because there's nowhere to spend them. I tried it and most of the blocks don't even contain a single transaction. Litecoin is as dead as a dodo.
phorensic (OP)

View Profile
August 06, 2013, 05:19:25 PM

Guess what doesn't mines litecoins ? Your block erupter.  Grin
Guess what doesn't take even MORE power, heat, noise from trying to mine scrypt instead of SHA-256 and causing more crashes?  My Block Erupter
After countless hours of tuning a multi-family (Tahiti and Cypress) GPU rig for scrypt I give up.  It's too unstable.  It uses even more power, causing the heat to go through the roof and the fans get pegged at my limit of 88%.  The hashrate is 15% less on my rig due to the multi-family GPU issues.  Even though a lot of the scrypt coins I was mining were 200% more profitable, it just wasn't worth the work and crashing.
escrow.ms
Legendary

Activity: 1274

View Profile
August 06, 2013, 05:25:29 PM

Guess what doesn't mines litecoins ? Your block erupter.  Grin
Guess what doesn't take even MORE power, heat, noise from trying to mine scrypt instead of SHA-256 and causing more crashes?  My Block Erupter
After countless hours of tuning a multi-family (Tahiti and Cypress) GPU rig for scrypt I give up.  It's too unstable.  It uses even more power, causing the heat to go through the roof and the fans get pegged at my limit of 88%.  The hashrate is 15% less on my rig due to the multi-family GPU issues.  Even though a lot of the scrypt coins I was mining were 200% more profitable, it just wasn't worth the work and crashing.

That was joke post and yeah i agree, block erupters are really amazing.
HellDiverUK

Activity: 1246
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 06, 2013, 05:26:53 PM

I powered down my HD6970 for the last time today.  One Block Erupter is doing basically the same, only it's using 2.5W rather than 300W.  

I still have two 7950 cards mining, but I'm only running them to warm the downstairs of the house over the winter.

Pokerfan

Activity: 130
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 06, 2013, 05:27:09 PM

I'll drop bitcoin GPU mining in a few weeks when difficulty hits 50M. Will gladly milk some more litecoin until it dies.
BTC-UK

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 06, 2013, 05:30:55 PM

Cue the endless supply of cheap GPUs for gamers!
moisesmcardona

Activity: 58
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 06, 2013, 05:41:14 PM

I received 3 block erupters and man, this thing is producing 1,038Mh/s!
My laptop's GPU card (Nvidia 650M) only makes 22Mh/s...

I'm planning on getting more of these later.
Boing7898

Activity: 686
Merit: 259

View Profile
August 06, 2013, 06:16:49 PM

Do you think that GPUs will now start costing less, with less people buying them?
phorensic (OP)

View Profile
August 06, 2013, 06:57:30 PM

Do you think that GPUs will now start costing less, with less people buying them?
No.  It is clear we aren't even 1% of AMD sales, even AMD can confirm that.  The bitcoin community is incredibly tiny.  It may seem like there are a lot of people into Bitcoin if you are like me and read about it all the time, subscribed to the subreddits, on this forum, see it in the news, etc.  It's just not that big of a community, though.

The price of used GPU's might go down directly on this forum, though.
zvs
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1000

https://web.archive.org/web/*/nogleg.com

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2013, 12:51:44 AM

No.  It is clear we aren't even 1% of AMD sales, even AMD can confirm that.  The bitcoin community is incredibly tiny.  It may seem like there are a lot of people into Bitcoin if you are like me and read about it all the time, subscribed to the subreddits, on this forum, see it in the news, etc.  It's just not that big of a community, though.

The price of used GPU's might go down directly on this forum, though.

used 5970's were $400 each on ebay two months ago, now they are $200

i'm pretty sure that's bitcoin related

as for new cards, if not for bitcoins, i'd buy a geforce card, ofc they'll drop in price
Xian01
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1067

Christian Antkow

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 03:37:48 AM

FWIW, retired a 7970 and a 7950 in my farm today after taking delivery of another 15 AM Erupter USB's. Plan to have the other half-dozen 7970's retired by the end of the month and up for sale.

Am already seeing notable savings on our electrical vs this time last year since rolling out ASICs and retiring my 5xxx and 6xxx series GPU's a couple months ago.
timk225

Activity: 955

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 02:35:21 PM

Xian, I'll give you $75 for each 7970.  Well maybe a little more, let's make a deal.  PM me.  Have photos ready to email.  Are you in the USA?

I encourage all to buy ASICs and continue to mine BTC in a self defeating downward spiral.  Less competition for me in DigitalCoin and Litecoin.
Xian01
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1067

Christian Antkow

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 07:21:53 PM

-I'll give you $75 for each 7970.  
-I encourage all to buy ASICs and continue to mine BTC in a self defeating downward spiral.  Less competition for me in DigitalCoin and Litecoin.

Insult me with a lowball price. Insult me with my choice of hobby. Come off as superior for mining DigitalCoin (WTF is DigitalCoin ?!) and LTC.

No thanks, bro.
azw409

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 08:17:26 PM

What luxury, I'm playing Skyrim now at the same time as mining flat out - I've never done that before.
Xyver

Activity: 281
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 08, 2013, 06:55:17 AM

I shut off my GPU finally today as well...  Getting 0.0035 coins/24 hours is just too tiny for me (need at least 0.006 to break even on power).  Perhaps if I had the block erupters it'd be worth it to keep going with that low mhash/s (285 GPU vs 333 erupter) but its not worth it to pay money for me.

I'm still sitting on the thought that if I can get a Jalapeno delivered while the difficulty is under 200 mil I will.  I may never get ROI on it (I should, assuming the exchange stays at least around $100), but it will give me something to stay in the game with.
CrazyRabbi

Activity: 490

UNDER NEW MANAGEMENT

View Profile
August 08, 2013, 07:03:31 AM

Guess what mines as fast as 2 x 7970?

My 7 Block Erupters Cheesy

ISAWHIM

Activity: 504

View Profile
August 08, 2013, 12:02:49 PM

Who wants to mine Litecoins, it's a waste of time because there's nowhere to spend them. I tried it and most of the blocks don't even contain a single transaction. Litecoin is as dead as a dodo.

You can spend any coin anywhere... It's called using an exchange...

Earn LTC, sell for BTC, spend anywhere BTC is used... or anywhere LTC is used. You can use any alt-coin anywhere, if you use an exchange.

Where do you think the 600GHs worth of GPU miners have been the last few months... Not mining dead BTC. (Dead = no value to a GPU miner, other than to exchange to buy stuff that demands BTC.)

Any place that accepts only BTC is loosing-out on all the actual sales they could have, if they accepted other coins. Their loss, not ours.

BTC is a corporate toy now, owned by "the man"... dream = dead. Wake-up and mine "the peoples coin", alt-coins.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: