Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 11:54:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Everyone will cash out at $1000  (Read 9362 times)
Coinseeker

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 06, 2013, 11:19:28 PM

Fundamentally, Bitcoin markets still have a problem. And that problem is that a few hold so many coins.  It doesn't matter what small fish do, when whales start selling, everyone will follow because the small fish can not create enough buying pressure to stop it.  We've seen that with every crash.  Plus many small fish are weak hands and will follow whatever everyone else is doing anyway.

Bottom line, if whales sell at $1000, everyone else will try to sell too.  And many wont get out in time, just like the $260 crash.  If whales start big buying, so will everyone else.  All the talk about new people and media attention, blah, blah, blah...is pointless.  If they are not new whales entering the market, it won't do anything to change the trend created by the whales.  
Really we should be thankful any time that whales are selling out, because it means they are distributing their "hoard" of Bitcoins to many other people.

That's a fair point and could lead to a situation in the future where a few can't just move the markets at will.  The masses could then create buying pressure to prevent huge price drops due to whale dumps.

If your ignore button isn't glowing, you're doing it wrong.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Peter Lambert

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye

View Profile
August 06, 2013, 11:43:03 PM

People were saying the same thing about $100.

Use CoinBR to trade bitcoin stocks: CoinBR.com

The best place for betting with bitcoin: BitBet.us
marvinrouge

Activity: 378

View Profile
August 06, 2013, 11:57:09 PM

People were saying the same thing about $100.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=156033.0
kingcrimson (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1025
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 12:00:57 AM

lol, I didn't even realize I said the same thing about $100. Just shows how fast things can change.
Kouye

Activity: 336

Cuddling, censored, unicorn-shaped troll.

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 12:27:42 AM

If everyone cashes out, no one will be able to cash out.

Cash out = Get rid of all this useless fiat to get more bitcoins?
If so, I don't get your point.
If not, you probably won't ever need to buy toilet paper anymore.

[OVER] RIDDLES 2nd edition --- this was claimed. Look out for 3rd edition!
I won't ever ask for a loan nor offer any escrow service. If I do, please consider my account as hacked.
worldinacoin

Activity: 756

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 12:37:23 AM

I doubt so, if it reaches $1000, there will definitely be those who will be targeting $10 000 next, when someone cashes out, others get in.
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 01:03:31 AM

Suppose that I bought 100 bitcoins when price was $5, when bitcoin exchange rate reached $50, I might consider sell them all to receive $5000, which is a quite good return. But if it rised to $500, then 100 coins worth $50,000, I will definitely keep part of those coins and to see if it can rise even more. The higher the price, the higher confidence people will have in bitcoin, less motivation to exchange to fiat, which is losing its value constantly

And beyond a certain acceptance level, there will be only fiat money inflow, no outflow, since bitcoin will be used to direct purchase other things when there is such a need

CMMPro

Activity: 588

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 02:01:02 AM

Remember that we tend to overestimate progress in the short term...and vastly underestimate it in the long term.

Cluster2k
Legendary

Activity: 1692
Merit: 1018

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 04:14:53 AM

The interesting thing about the last price mania and run up from $10 to $266 within a few months is why $266 was the magic number this time.  It could be that the number of suckers left to pile money in ran out, or maybe enough people thought 'this price has been rising exponentially for weeks, it violates common sense for it to continue, sell!' 

If bitcoin enjoys another strong run up towards $1k and maybe beyond we will again experience the same situation.  The key factor is, as always, that simply sitting on your bitcoin stash while doing absolutely nothing is the path to riches.  That doesn't seem sustainable.
myself
Legendary

Activity: 938

chaos is fun...…damental :)

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 04:50:35 AM

999 here

Los desesperados publican que lo inventó el rey que rabió, porque todo son en el rabias y mas rabias, disgustos y mas disgustos, pezares y mas pezares; si el que compra algunas partidas vé que baxan, rabia de haver comprado; si suben, rabia de que no compró mas; si compra, suben, vende, gana y buelan aun á mas alto precio del que ha vendido; rabia de que vendió por menor precio: si no compra ni vende y ván subiendo, rabia de que haviendo tenido impulsos de comprar, no llegó á lograr los impulsos; si van baxando, rabia de que, haviendo tenido amagos de vender, no se resolvió á gozar los amagos; si le dan algun consejo y acierta, rabia de que no se lo dieron antes; si yerra, rabia de que se lo dieron; con que todo son inquietudes, todo arrepentimientos, tododelirios, luchando siempre lo insufrible con lo feliz, lo indomito con lo tranquilo y lo rabioso con lo deleytable.
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2013, 05:32:10 AM

I'm never cashing out. To me bitcoin is more than just making money off panic buys and sells, its about financing a revolution.

Wagner2014

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 05:46:58 AM

I'm never cashing out. To me bitcoin is more than just making money off panic buys and sells, its about financing a revolution.

If you never cash out, you will never realize a return. Your heirs may be thankful, though.

Hello, fellow Bitcoin Billionaires!!
domob
Legendary

Activity: 1135
Merit: 1166

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2013, 07:04:36 AM

I may be selling some Bitcoins when the next order of magnitude is there, but definitely not all and definitely not a majority (especially because I believe in the fundamentals and look forward to actually using the Bitcoins rather than selling them for fiat) - and I think lots of other people agree here, so I don't see a problem going beyond 1,000 USD (or any other mark).

Use your Namecoin identity as OpenID: https://nameid.org/
Donations: 1domobKsPZ5cWk2kXssD8p8ES1qffGUCm | NMC: NCdomobcmcmVdxC5yxMitojQ4tvAtv99pY
BM-GtQnWM3vcdorfqpKXsmfHQ4rVYPG5pKS | GPG 0xA7330737
stromma44

Activity: 952

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 07:17:26 AM

Fundamentally, Bitcoin markets still have a problem. And that problem is that a few hold so many coins.  It doesn't matter what small fish do, when whales start selling, everyone will follow because the small fish can not create enough buying pressure to stop it.  We've seen that with every crash.  Plus many small fish are weak hands and will follow whatever everyone else is doing anyway.

Bottom line, if whales sell at $1000, everyone else will try to sell too.  And many wont get out in time, just like the $260 crash.  If whales start big buying, so will everyone else.  All the talk about new people and media attention, blah, blah, blah...is pointless.  If they are not new whales entering the market, it won't do anything to change the trend created by the whales.  
Really we should be thankful any time that whales are selling out, because it means they are distributing their "hoard" of Bitcoins to many other people.

Whales buys their bitcoins back at lower prices, so no new bitcoins is distributed to many people
XxionxX

Activity: 254

Digital money you say?

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 07:47:12 AM

If you never cash out, you will never realize a return. Your heirs may be thankful, though.

I think he meant that he would like to spend his bitcoins instead of exchanging them for fiat. Not just hold them indefinitely.

I know that if bitcoin reached $1000 I would just be holding on for the ride. Why cash out when the revolution is near? I might take a small bit though, just because.

FAP Turbo 2.0, the FOREX trading robot which also trades bitcoin!

I had to link it because I love the name. Seriously, that is the real name.
Ares

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 07:54:45 AM

999 here
roxtar

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2013, 08:18:08 AM
Last edit: January 26, 2014, 03:08:27 AM by roxtar

smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 09:51:57 AM

995.1337  Cheesy

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 10:56:26 AM

Although I'm a lurker here (and only been "into" BTC for about half a year).. has anyone else realized that the HIGHER a BTC is worth in USD.. the "cashing out" part becomes less easy?

For example, lets pretend John has 100 bitcoins, and his "magic number" to cash out is $1,000. That's $100,000 in USD.
BTC hit's $1,000, and John says "ok, time for me to dump my coins and be $100k richer."

Gox is just a mess right now in terms of USD widthdrawls. Coinbase etc IS an option, but there are limits there and cashing out more then $10,000 at a time might trigger your bank to wonder what you're doing. Not to mention, their "price" is valued much less then Mt. Gox (which a seller will prefer).

That leaves the method most people champion - LocalBitcoins. Now, what exactly will John do in this situation that will make life easy?
Put up an ad that says "Hi, selling $10,000 in BTC, contact me for an inperson transaction".?

Where/how does John conduct such a transaction that guarantees his safety/ease/protection? Meeting a stranger in a Starbucks to sell them $10,000 in bitcoin is.. just.. plain.. weird isn't it? And then what are the odds that 10 people (even spread out over days & weeks) will have $10,000 or more in cash lying around to meet up other strangers @ Starbucks to buy BTC?

Am I making any sense here?

Why do you want to cash out to fiat money instead of directly spend them? If you don't want to spend them why exchange to fiat currency which lose its value over time (can be printed out of nothing)?

If you are anticipating that the price will fall after reach $1000, then it is another topic. This spring, some one forecasted that 20,30,50,70,100,200 to be the top of bitcoin exchange price and they failed most of the time, no one can call the top

lucas.sev

Activity: 252

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 12:38:30 PM

Although I'm a lurker here (and only been "into" BTC for about half a year).. has anyone else realized that the HIGHER a BTC is worth in USD.. the "cashing out" part becomes less easy?

For example, lets pretend John has 100 bitcoins, and his "magic number" to cash out is $1,000. That's $100,000 in USD.
BTC hit's $1,000, and John says "ok, time for me to dump my coins and be $100k richer."

Gox is just a mess right now in terms of USD widthdrawls. Coinbase etc IS an option, but there are limits there and cashing out more then $10,000 at a time might trigger your bank to wonder what you're doing. Not to mention, their "price" is valued much less then Mt. Gox (which a seller will prefer).

That leaves the method most people champion - LocalBitcoins. Now, what exactly will John do in this situation that will make life easy?
Put up an ad that says "Hi, selling $10,000 in BTC, contact me for an inperson transaction".?

Where/how does John conduct such a transaction that guarantees his safety/ease/protection? Meeting a stranger in a Starbucks to sell them $10,000 in bitcoin is.. just.. plain.. weird isn't it? And then what are the odds that 10 people (even spread out over days & weeks) will have $10,000 or more in cash lying around to meet up other strangers @ Starbucks to buy BTC?

Am I making any sense here?

Why do you want to cash out to fiat money instead of directly spend them? If you don't want to spend them why exchange to fiat currency which lose its value over time (can be printed out of nothing)?

If you are anticipating that the price will fall after reach $1000, then it is another topic. This spring, some one forecasted that 20,30,50,70,100,200 to be the top of bitcoin exchange price and they failed most of the time, no one can call the top

Because I can't use it on amazon or to pay to people who are selling their flat.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: