Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 07:50:09 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Thou shalt have no other gods before me  (Read 974 times)
Frizz23 (OP)

Activity: 1162
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 12, 2013, 09:22:15 AM

Quote: "New York's top banking regulator has issued subpoenas to roughly two dozen companies associated with bitcoin as part of a wide-ranging inquiry into the business practices of the fledgling virtual-currency industry, according to people familiar with the matter.

The subpoenas, from the New York Department of Financial Services, seek information on a range of topics, including antimoney-laundering programs, consumer-protection measures and investment strategies, according to the people. ...

The department, led by Benjamin Lawsky, also plans on Monday to issue a memo expressing concern that virtual-currency companies aren't complying with the state's money-transmission laws. ..."

Read the full article here: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323585604579006880143449754.html

Thou shalt have no other gods before me!

Ξtherization⚡️First P2E 2016⚡️🏰💎🌈 etherization.org
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2013, 11:51:33 AM

That's because Bitcoins don't have to comply with any state's money-transmission laws the stupid cunts.
Epicurus

Activity: 60
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 12, 2013, 08:18:41 PM

That's because Bitcoins don't have to comply with any state's money-transmission laws the stupid cunts.

That's correct, just like dollars don't have to.

The government doesn't prosecute currency, however. It prosecutes individuals, and individuals certainly do have to comply with state money transmission laws.
p2pbucks

Activity: 642
Merit: 500

Evolution is the only way to survive

View Profile
August 14, 2013, 12:44:16 AM

US big brother cant bear bitcoin to defy USD's thron
Lethn
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2013, 05:38:42 AM

The government doesn't prosecute currency, however. It prosecutes individuals, and individuals certainly do have to comply with state money transmission laws.

Well I'm no lawyer in the slightest, but in order to find us out they'd have to do something illegal which would then break the laws they set up because of all the security measures Bitcoin has, so the only way to catch anyone in their country using Bitcoin would be to get rid of the fifth amendment ( I think that's the one that prevents unreasonable search and seizures ) and in doing that they'd stop being any sort of legitimate government.

So at least law wise they wouldn't be able to do a damn thing about people using Bitcoin in America, the only way they could get everyone would be to turn into a full on dictatorship.
jwzguy

Activity: 868
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 14, 2013, 06:26:25 AM

As a brief aside... The government - does - prosecute currency,  on a regular basis. Every time they steal large amounts of cash under the  pretext that it 'could'  be used to buy drugs, in order to then seize it without evidence if any crime,  they will file a case against the cash itself. For example 'the state of Tennessee vs $ 100,000.'
Pure insanity.

murraypaul

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 14, 2013, 06:36:31 AM

Well I'm no lawyer in the slightest, but in order to find us out they'd have to do something illegal which would then break the laws they set up because of all the security measures Bitcoin has, so the only way to catch anyone in their country using Bitcoin would be to get rid of the fifth amendment ( I think that's the one that prevents unreasonable search and seizures ) and in doing that they'd stop being any sort of legitimate government.

Or they could look at the companies that openly say that they exchange Bitcoin for dollars?
That would seem like a pretty obvious start, wouldn't it?
And no, the fourth amendment protects against unreasonable search and seizure. The fifth protects against self-incrimination.
I don't even live in the US, and I know that.

BTC: 16TgAGdiTSsTWSsBDphebNJCFr1NT78xFW
SRC: scefi1XMhq91n3oF5FrE3HqddVvvCZP9KB
Lethn
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2013, 07:20:45 AM

Oops! Sad Cheesy You know I've never been able to find a proper list of the constitutions amendments on the internet.
murraypaul

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 14, 2013, 07:28:29 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_amendments_to_the_United_States_Constitution

You clearly haven't watched enough cop shows, if you've never seen people take the fifth Smiley

BTC: 16TgAGdiTSsTWSsBDphebNJCFr1NT78xFW
SRC: scefi1XMhq91n3oF5FrE3HqddVvvCZP9KB
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: