Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 05:28:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Windows 10 Crashes on new Rig  (Read 210 times)
hous26 (OP)

Activity: 462
Merit: 115

View Profile
January 05, 2018, 03:41:18 PM

It's been a mystery as to why the miner on my rig shuts down and doesn't show the last operation despite having "-pause" listed on my bat files.  I had a theory that it wasn't my miner crashing but my rig restarting.  I left it on trying to catch it happen and I saw a screen flash up for a couple seconds.  It was from Windows 10 and it said something about an error and and provided a code to find more information.  It flashed so quickly so I wasn't able to take a photo of it.  Any idea of what is going on?

I updated Windows 10 to the latest version 2-weeks ago when I built the rig.  I don't think my GPU settings could be the cause.

Thanks in advance!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MATHReX

Activity: 861
Merit: 281

View Profile
January 05, 2018, 03:47:29 PM

Remove the hyphen from the pause,
It should be just "pause" or ":pause" and it will prevent the miner from closing which will help you see the error if there is any in the miner.
BTW, will require more details about your hardware!
hous26 (OP)

View Profile
January 05, 2018, 04:00:41 PM

It should be just "pause" or ":pause" and it will prevent the miner from closing which will help you see the error if there is any in the miner.

I don't think its the miner since Windows itself is crashing.  It's hitting a critical error somewhere.

Good-looking out on the pause.

Hardware:
MOBO:  Asus Prime Z270-A
PSU: EVGA G2 850 Watt
GPU: 4x EVGA 1070 Ti SC versions
CPU: Intel Celeron chip
RAM:  8gmb
Hard-drive: Drexxo 128 gb SSD
MATHReX

Activity: 861
Merit: 281

View Profile
January 05, 2018, 06:08:39 PM

I don't think its the miner since Windows itself is crashing.  It's hitting a critical error somewhere.

Good-looking out on the pause.

Hardware:
MOBO:  Asus Prime Z270-A
PSU: EVGA G2 850 Watt
GPU: 4x EVGA 1070 Ti SC versions
CPU: Intel Celeron chip
RAM:  8gmb
Hard-drive: Drexxo 128 gb SSD

Okay, without the error code it will hard to diagnose the problem at the OS level.
I hope you've set the page file to 16GB, Windows updated to the latest version and then disabling the update service, running latest Nvidia Drivers and properly setting the intensity of the miner in use.
MagicSmoker

Activity: 420
Merit: 182

View Profile
January 05, 2018, 06:18:37 PM

It's been a mystery as to why the miner on my rig shuts down and doesn't show the last operation despite having "-pause" listed on my bat files.  I had a theory that it wasn't my miner crashing but my rig restarting.

It's time to fire up Windows Event Viewer and hunt through the logs for the shutdown cause, if present. Here's a good tutorial on what to look for:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/78335-read-shutdown-logs-event-viewer-windows.html

Windows Update is so infuriatingly borked in Windows 10 I can barely contain my rage. The only easy way to get it under control is with group policy editor, but that function is sadly missing from the Home edition (which I overlooked when I bought this computer - my first pre-assembled one out of the last 5 or so).

hous26 (OP)

View Profile
January 06, 2018, 04:18:22 AM

It's happening more frequently. 

I noticed it tends to happen more when I'm clicking than when its just mining on its own but because I have turned my monitor on to find a fresh reboot of Windows I suspect its happening on its own as well.

I got a snapshot of the error screen.  It says "Stop code: IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL".

I will be looking into this and will post a solution once i find it in case someone else has the same issue.  If any already knows whats up then I'm all ears... eyes...
rommelzkie

Activity: 294
Merit: 125

View Profile
January 06, 2018, 05:39:53 AM

It's been a mystery as to why the miner on my rig shuts down and doesn't show the last operation despite having "-pause" listed on my bat files.  I had a theory that it wasn't my miner crashing but my rig restarting.  I left it on trying to catch it happen and I saw a screen flash up for a couple seconds.  It was from Windows 10 and it said something about an error and and provided a code to find more information.  It flashed so quickly so I wasn't able to take a photo of it.  Any idea of what is going on?

I updated Windows 10 to the latest version 2-weeks ago when I built the rig.  I don't think my GPU settings could be the cause.

Thanks in advance!

This scenario happened to me also. what i found out is that my memory (RAM) is defective. I noticed that when i tried to reformat / re- install my OS. It doesn't continue and IRQ NOT LESS error shows up.  if you have a spare RAM try to replace it.

my defective RAM is generic in brand. hope this helps.

Cmoh

Merit: 100

View Profile
January 06, 2018, 06:17:13 AM

I would like to suggest all that never mone with your laptop whether it having it has enormous power and capability to mine. If you want to mine Bitcoin or another altcoin then use the complex hardware with your desktop and with latest hardware and software. While mining the laptop never tolerate the hit generated by the hardware so, go for extrnal hardware and use desktop.
MagicSmoker

Merit: 182

View Profile
January 06, 2018, 10:12:27 AM

I got a snapshot of the error screen.  It says "Stop code: IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL".

This error is usually from a driver wandering into parts of memory it shouldn't. But it could also be from a corrupt .NET framework. I'd try DDUing the driver and reinstalling it fresh first, then removing and reinstalling .NET. Finally, I'd throw the whole computer out at least a 3rd floor window, a la the late, great analog IC engineer, Robert A. Pease.

dhmctrader

Activity: 49
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 06, 2018, 10:37:03 AM

If you are still having trouble see if you have the Windows security patch from this week applied.

This article has the KB numbers...

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3246028/microsoft-windows/win7-monthly-rollup-kb-4056894-signals-early-abbreviated-patch-tuesday.html

I had to roll the patch back at least for now. Was crashing my PC when I started mining.
hous26 (OP)

View Profile
January 07, 2018, 12:02:53 AM

Thanks for the help guys.

I looked at the rig and made three changes and the problem appears to have been fixed.

1) I added a new GPU and PSU.  This obviously didn't fix the issue since the PSU is in addition to the last and I didn't remove anything from the old PSU.
2) I noticed one of my risers was loose.  I tightened it.
3) I was having issues with one of my GPU's  after I added the new one.  I replaced a riser that was affixed to the GPU that wasn't being recognized.

So if anyone has this issue, check your risers.
hous26 (OP)

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 08:30:08 PM

Problem was not fixed and I've been battling it for the past week or so.  Been super busy with work so I didn't have a moment to work on it. 

Anyways, it looks like I actually fixed it now.  Its going on 48 hours without crashing.  I simply changed the RAM.  I don't know if the old ram was bad or if perhaps it wasn't snapped in all the way but its been running like a champ since I swapped it out. 

I plan on throwing the old ram in this weekend, and making sure its completely snapped in, to see if it works.  I figured I would test it before sending it back to the manufacturer.
hous26 (OP)

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 08:32:17 PM

Thanks in advance!

This scenario happened to me also. what i found out is that my memory (RAM) is defective. I noticed that when i tried to reformat / re- install my OS. It doesn't continue and IRQ NOT LESS error shows up.  if you have a spare RAM try to replace it.

my defective RAM is generic in brand. hope this helps.

Good advice by the way!
batang_bitcoin

Activity: 2968
Merit: 600

Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 08:57:08 PM

Problem was not fixed and I've been battling it for the past week or so.  Been super busy with work so I didn't have a moment to work on it.  

Anyways, it looks like I actually fixed it now.  Its going on 48 hours without crashing.  I simply changed the RAM.  I don't know if the old ram was bad or if perhaps it wasn't snapped in all the way but its been running like a champ since I swapped it out.  

I plan on throwing the old ram in this weekend, and making sure its completely snapped in, to see if it works.  I figured I would test it before sending it back to the manufacturer.
So it only looks like its fixed? Before throwing that RAM, did you try to use an eraser to its gold pin? That might be the soft touch and magic needed, it worked on me many times when there's a problem on my ram and when I'm experiencing boot crash problems.

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
█████████████████▄███████
████████████████▄███████▀
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀