That worked for me.
Anyways, this is what happened...
I had the new wallet.
The address that I transferred funds to showed, but the client did not show having received anything.
It was showing on the network: http://blockexplorer.com
My guess is that the client has a scanning optimization that makes it not look back.
To create the new wallet, I did the following:
1. Stopped the client.
2. Moved the old wallet out
3. Started the client
4. Copied a new address to which to transfer funds to.
6. Stopped the client.
7. Swapped wallets (old in, new out)
8. Transferred funds to new address (and waited for some confirmations).
9. Stopped client.
10. Swapped wallets (new in, old out)
11. Started client, the address there, but does not show the transfer.
And I can go back to my old wallet and verify I transferred funds.
Then use my new wallet, and nothing is there.
And again, it is showing on the network.
-rescan fixed it.