Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 02:26:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Multiple Bitcoin debit card providers suspend service under orders of Visa  (Read 267 times)
bitart

Activity: 1442
Merit: 629

Vires in Numeris

View Profile
January 05, 2018, 10:42:57 PM

Governments have nothing to do with this.

It's not up to debate, nor is it being hushed. It's been publicly stated. Wave Crest Holdings violated repeatedly conditions of Visa partnership programme. They were terminated, and because of this all the cards issued through them cannot be used any longer.
This is the official communication, of course, you can't expect anything else written and officially published in the media from a really huge company like VISA. They just can't start a communication like "we don't like cryptos, so we will do our best to slow them down, etc..." They have to be really cautious with the communication, they have to prove every single word they use in the official announcements. I'm curious how long will the remaining crypto related debit card issuers last on the market....
emuLOAD

Activity: 328
Merit: 252

View Profile
January 05, 2018, 10:48:29 PM

If VISA publicly claims that Wave Crest Holdings is in breach of contract, and they are not, VISA would be sued to oblivion
figmentofmyass
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1483

View Profile
January 05, 2018, 10:51:29 PM

This has very little to do with Crypto.

Visa said the cards had been suspended after Visa terminated WaveCrest's membership due to "continued non-compliance with our operating rules", although it said other Visa cards that convert Bitcoin into normal currency would not be affected.

i'm surprised that virtually all the providers of non-US cards (bitpay, bitwala, cryptopay, wirex, tenX) were using wavecrest to issue them. i guess this is another example where market concentration and lack of competition hurts consumers.

I've been looking for one with low fees and haven't been able to find it yet. The only reason for me to use their services would be to try to avoid the traditional banking. In traditional banking when your deals go sideways and you get into debt or get an unfavorable court ruling your accounts get blocked almost instantly.

i don't see how using a prepaid card (funded by BTC or not) fundamentally changes anything. in order to issue the card to you, this is the kind of information required:

For Non-US Residents

If you are ordering the BitPay Card outside of the United States, we will require the following information in your BitPay Card order process:

First Name
    Last Name
    Date of Birth
    Phone Number
    Delivery Address
    City
    Postal Code
    Email Address
    Proof of Address (Utility Bill, Bank Statement, Lease Dated within 90 Days)
    Proof of Identity (Driver's License, Passport, Govt. ID)

this business definitely requires money transmission licenses and KYC procedures. any business issuing cards without enforcing them is likely to get shut down or removed from major payment networks like wavecrest was. this information is more than enough to get your prepaid accounts locked down if the courts come knocking on the issuer's door.

numizmat

Activity: 154
Merit: 1

View Profile
January 06, 2018, 05:47:23 AM

Weird that Visa decides this only after 6 months when Visa started to allow only European citizens, it would be better to stop everything directly. Some websites will close the shop and most other will struggle
A top official from the EU sees crypto as means to blithely launder money. There are three main reasons the European Central Bank does not like bitcoin: 3 Reasons The ECB Does Not Like Bitcoin - The Cryptocurrency Market Is Growing Exponentially, yet Europe Remains Sceptical
  • so called threat to financial stability
  • no backing
  • need for a VAT
South Park

Activity: 2926
Merit: 798

I am terrible at Fantasy Football!!!

View Profile
January 06, 2018, 06:33:29 PM

So all crypto card companies in Europe used Wavecrest and not a single one of them differentiated into something else? That s a very bad business model.
It was obvious to me and many people around the forum that coins that offered cards as their business model could not survive for long, I always wondered why they needed a coin at all an now we are seeing the truth, those coins are going to crash if they are not crashing already.
Caesar-Giulius

Activity: 728
Merit: 250

Buy, sell and store real cryptocurrencies

View Profile
January 06, 2018, 06:46:36 PM

Since Visa has other approved programs, I guess the prepaid debit card providers should have a way to solve this problem. Meanwhile Centra Card is not affected since it use MasterCard, those affected can try ordering card from them.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
██████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████▀██████████████
█████████▄▄      ▀▀██▀╜  ▀▀███████████
████████████▄       ██   ▀^╓▀█████████
██████████████      ║█    ,▀██████████
█████████████▄▄      █▌   ████████████
████████████████▄     ▀█▄  ███████████
████████████████▀,,,    ╙▀▀█▀ ████████
█████████████████▀▀▀█▄▄       ████████
███████████████▀     ▀███████▀████████
██████████████▌       ▐█* ▀▓▀ ████████
████████████*██▄     ▄██▄▄▄▄▄▄████████
██████████▀`  ▀██▄   ▀████████████████
████████▀`  ▄█████▌   ╙███████████████
████████▄,   ▀████ ,,,  "▀▀███████████
██████████,,,,, ╙█▄███▄▄,,,,╙▀████████
L B X.

■                         ■                        ■                        ■                        ■                        ■                         ■
The London Block Exchange
■                         ■                        ■                        ■                        ■                        ■                         ■

WDownload OnW
[.
          ▄▄█▀
         ███▀
   ▄▄▄▄  ▀  ▄▄▄▄
 ▄███████▄██████▌
▐██████████████▌
███████████████
▐██████████████▌
 ███████████████▌
  ██████████████▌
   ▀████▀▀▀████▀