Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 08:13:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bit-Pay.com + new Android app = Mainstream Bitcoin  (Read 2396 times)
evoorhees (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 01:49:36 AM

The pieces of the bitcoin infrastructure are coming together quickly.  Two weeks ago, it was hard to imagine how someone could pay a brick & mortar store on site with Bitcoins. The solution seems to now be here. Let's use Sarah's Hair Salon as an example...

Step 1) Winston has the new Android app  (https://market.android.com/details?id=com.bitcoinandroid) that was all over the news today

Step 2) Sarah sets up account with Bit-Pay.com, and selects the "deposit as USD" option, so that btc payments instantly convert to USD in her account (she's unsure of btc and would prefer dollars for the time being).

Step 3) Sarah puts out a "We Accept Bitcoin" sign with a QR code of her bit-pay.com wallet address

Step 4) After the haircut, Winston scans the QR code at the cash register, and sends payment in btc to Sarah's Hair Salon.

Result: Sarah has received the money as US dollars, and Winston paid with Bitcoins from his pocket. No credit card fee, no chargebacks, no fraud. This is pretty damn simple. Vendors have incentive to accept Bitcoin because it will enable them to steal customers from competitors who don't. Nobody needs to "switch" to Bitcoin either... it grows organically alongside normal payments with credit cards and cash.

I think Bit-Pay.com is still in beta (and the android app is still "experimental") but you can see the functionality is ready. Proof of concept completed.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2011, 01:53:20 AM

The pieces of the bitcoin infrastructure are coming together quickly.  Two weeks ago, it was hard to imagine how someone could pay a brick & mortar store on site with Bitcoins. The solution seems to now be here. Let's use Sarah's Hair Salon as an example...

Step 1) Winston has the new Android app  (https://market.android.com/details?id=com.bitcoinandroid) that was all over the news today

Step 2) Sarah sets up account with Bit-Pay.com, and selects the "deposit as USD" option, so that btc payments instantly convert to USD in her account (she's unsure of btc and would prefer dollars for the time being).

Step 3) Sarah puts out a "We Accept Bitcoin" sign with a QR code of her bit-pay.com wallet address

Step 4) After the haircut, Winston scans the QR code at the cash register, and sends payment in btc to Sarah's Hair Salon.

Result: Sarah has received the money as US dollars, and Winston paid with Bitcoins from his pocket. No credit card fee, no chargebacks, no fraud. This is pretty damn simple. Vendors have incentive to accept Bitcoin because it will enable them to steal customers from competitors who don't. Nobody needs to "switch" to Bitcoin either... it grows organically alongside normal payments with credit cards and cash.

I think Bit-Pay.com is still in beta (and the android app is still "experimental") but you can see the functionality is ready. Proof of concept completed.

Grandma smiles.  Smiley Smiley Smiley
SmokeAndMirrors

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 01:58:45 AM

I have been considering accepting bitcoins as a payment method at my powder coating shop. More so for the smaller jobs than anything, but I've been contemplating it mostly just to spread the word around a bit more in my city/country. My shop's been on the news a few times for other various topics but I think it would really be great for my city if there was an episode on CJOH talking about how companies are starting to accept bitcoins as payment methods. This breakthrough today will really make it that much easier if I go through with it in the end.

Help Bitcoins by buying clothes, technology, books, etc. through people/stores that accept BTC. This will increase overall value of BTC as well as mitigate unnecessary bank transaction fees.

My address -
1EM9HGg1SEa5Bux1rVEPxGqGSfNTTc9EkC
Bobnova

Activity: 210

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 01:59:57 AM

Wouldn't this still leave Sarah's Hair Emporium at risk for fake/nonexistent bitcoins?  Seems to me that they still would have to be confirmed before Sarah's Hair actually receives any money.

BTC:  1AURXf66t7pw65NwRiKukwPq1hLSiYLqbP
evoorhees (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 02:09:58 AM

Wouldn't this still leave Sarah's Hair Emporium at risk for fake/nonexistent bitcoins?  Seems to me that they still would have to be confirmed before Sarah's Hair actually receives any money.

Yes the confirmation delay is still an issue. Repeat customers who the vendor knew, would probably not require confirmation delay. I'm confident this problem, too, will be overcome soon.
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 02:32:08 AM

Yes the confirmation delay is still an issue. Repeat customers who the vendor knew, would probably not require confirmation delay. I'm confident this problem, too, will be overcome soon.

i think the confirmation thing is overblown.  probably 90% of the tx's i do are local and if someone tried to stiff me i'd be in his face along with everyone in town within a day.
datafish
Donator

Activity: 129

Swimming in a sea of data

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 03:39:31 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but once the transaction shows up in the client, doesn't it take a massive amount of hashing power to reverse the transaction?  Why would someone bother for anything less than $1,000 or some arbitrarily-large figure?
geek-trader

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 03:48:02 AM

I'd say the risk of a double-spend or fraudulent bitcoin transaction, once the 0/unconfirmed shows up in the receiver's wallet, is way less than the risk of credit card refusal / chargeback.

Maybe if the total is over X BTC (25?)  then you wait for 1 or 2 confirmations, otherwise go with 0/unconfirmed.  Similar to Rite Aide (drug store chain) only requiring you to sign your credit card slip for transactions over $25.

Make 1 deposit and earn BTC for life! http://bitcoinpyramid.com/r/345
Play my FREE HTML5 games at: http://magigames.org  BTC donations accepted.
wegotpickles

Activity: 49
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 03:51:07 AM

There is also the ability to exchange MtGox vouchers via the MtGox Live app. This could be for USD or BTC and is instant.
GeniuSxBoY

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 03:56:51 AM

This is where banks and mtgox come in.

All the bitcoins are stored in the bank's/mtgox's vault of bitcoin so we know the bitcoins exist.

There needs to be no transfer of the bitcoins since they're in the same pot. The only thing that's updated is both user's bank account figures.

Instant! Safe! Complete!

Be humble!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: