Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 01:43:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Power Supply Questions  (Read 141 times)
FrozT (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 06, 2018, 04:25:07 AM

Modular power supplies often don't offer a large number of dedicated PCI-E power connectors but have other 6 pin connectors for peripherals and 4x2 connectors intended for CPU's.

My questions are:

1.) If I were to get the correct cable could I re-purpose those peripheral 6-pin connectors for PCI-E/Vid cards?
2.) What about 6pin splitters? If I was going to use lower watt cards like 75 watt, could I get away with splitting the 6 pin connectors two ways?
3.) I'm interested in this Asus B250 board with all the PCI-E slots and it has molex connectors on the board. Does this mean one doesn't need to power the riser directly because it's being done on the board? Or do you need to run power to both the riser and the molex connectors on the board?

Thanks!
Bakhtra

Activity: 215
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 06, 2018, 04:43:26 AM

Modular power supplies often don't offer a large number of dedicated PCI-E power connectors but have other 6 pin connectors for peripherals and 4x2 connectors intended for CPU's.

My questions are:

1.) If I were to get the correct cable could I re-purpose those peripheral 6-pin connectors for PCI-E/Vid cards?
2.) What about 6pin splitters? If I was going to use lower watt cards like 75 watt, could I get away with splitting the 6 pin connectors two ways?
3.) I'm interested in this Asus B250 board with all the PCI-E slots and it has molex connectors on the board. Does this mean one doesn't need to power the riser directly because it's being done on the board? Or do you need to run power to both the riser and the molex connectors on the board?

Thanks!
I already change my PSU to CPU cable to PCIE.

Just let pin no 8 empty, and sent it to no 4 (ground).
I made my own tools using my daughter hair pin

For more information check this out.
http://www.overclock.net/a/gpu-and-cpu-power-connections
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAtmTQbR2ZM
rommelzkie

Activity: 294
Merit: 125

View Profile
January 06, 2018, 05:22:32 AM

Dont forget to check your PSU voltage capacity and look if it is Single Rail or Individual Rail. This is because you might overload the capacity especially when your PSU is on Individual Rail. Better to use it only to supply Risers or HDD but for GPU i think its a big flaw.

On my side i used 2units 750 PSU to have a plenty GPU PCI-E Power connectors.

Bakhtra

View Profile
January 06, 2018, 05:25:59 AM

Dont forget to check your PSU voltage capacity and look if it is Single Rail or Individual Rail. This is because you might overload the capacity especially when your PSU is on Individual Rail. Better to use it only to supply Risers or HDD but for GPU i think its a big flaw.

On my side i used 2units 750 PSU to have a plenty GPU PCI-E Power connectors.
I only use it on my corsair PSU, since CPU and PCIE port get power from same port.
Undefined31415

Activity: 336
Merit: 253

Gone phishing...

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2018, 05:46:27 AM

My questions are:

Thanks!

1.) Yes. However, you could also consider connecting the factory modular cables to the PSU (4-pin molex and/or SATA) and use adapters for 6-pin PCIe power. (Avoid running more than 1, maybe 2 per line.) I highly doubt you'd be able to obtain a cable from a reputable manufacturer that goes directly from the proprietary 6-pin connection on the PSU end, directly to 6-pin PCIe.
You could, however, create your own, but you would need to find a pinout diagram or map them out yourself, and ignore 5V and 3.3V outputs. Do note that the proprietary 6-pin connector for peripheral/SATA connections has fewer 12V lines than the dedicated VGA and EPS12V connectors, and thus shouldn't be relied on to provide similar power. Again, limit yourself to 1x 8-pin or 2x 6-pin PCIe connectors.

2.) Most PCIe power cables include either dual 6(+2)-pin connectors, or one 6(+2) and one 6-pin connector. The cable should be fine handling the load of 3x 6-pin connections, should you use one splitter per line.

3.) You should not need to use those supplementary power connections to the motherboard if you are using powered risers. However, whether or not you can use the motherboard connections and use your risers as unpowered risers depends on the design of the specific risers. Back around 2012-2013, some ribbon-style risers could be used as unpowered risers by ignoring the riser's 4-pin molex connector. However, other risers may sever a connection between the PCIe x16 slot and the PCIe x1 connector when connecting the alternate source of power (drawn directly from the PSU, rather than being drawn through the slots on the motherboard).

▀██▄ ▄██▀
            ▐█████▌
           ▄███▀███▄
         ▄████▄  ▀███▄
       ▄███▀ ▀██▄  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀  ▄█████▄  ▀███▄
   ▄███▀  ▄███▀ ▀███▄  ▀███▄
  ███▀  ▄████▌   ▐████▄  ▀███
 ███   ██▀  ██▄ ▄██  ▀██   ███
███   ███  ███   ███  ███   ███
███   ███   ███████   ███   ███
 ███   ███▄▄       ▄▄███   ███
  ███▄   ▀▀█████████▀▀   ▄███
   ▀████▄▄           ▄▄████▀
      ▀▀███████████████▀▀
DeepOnion
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
   Anonymity Guaranteed
   Anonymous and Untraceable
   Guard Your Privacy
      ▄▄██████████▄▄
    ▄███▀▀      ▀▀█▀   ▄▄
   ███▀              ▄███
  ███              ▄███▀   ▄▄
 ███▌  ▄▄▄▄      ▄███▀   ▄███
▐███  ██████   ▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███  ███▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███   ████▀   ▄███▀
███▌  ███   █▀   ▄███▀  ███
▐███   ███     ▄███▀   ███
 ███▌   ███  ▄███▀     ███
  ███    ██████▀      ███
   ███▄             ▄███
    ▀███▄▄       ▄▄███▀
      ▀▀███████████▀▀
FrozT (OP)

View Profile
January 06, 2018, 05:48:09 AM

My questions are:

Thanks!
I already change my PSU to CPU cable to PCIE.
https://i.imgur.com/7vBle9w.png
Just let pin no 8 empty, and sent it to no 4 (ground).
I made my own tools using my daughter hair pin
https://openclipart.org/image/2400px/svg_to_png/121315/hairpin.png
For more information check this out.
http://www.overclock.net/a/gpu-and-cpu-power-connections
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAtmTQbR2ZM

Thermaltake also has a cable for this I think would be useful.
http://www.thermaltake.com/Power_Supply/Accessories_/PSU_Cable/C_00002413/CPU_8Pin_to_Dual_PCI_E_6_2Pin_Splitter_Cable/design.htm
FrozT (OP)

View Profile
January 06, 2018, 06:06:32 AM

My questions are:

Thanks!

1.) Yes. However, you could also consider connecting the factory modular cables to the PSU (4-pin molex and/or SATA) and use adapters for 6-pin PCIe power. (Avoid running more than 1, maybe 2 per line.) I highly doubt you'd be able to obtain a cable from a reputable manufacturer that goes directly from the proprietary 6-pin connection on the PSU end, directly to 6-pin PCIe.
You could, however, create your own, but you would need to find a pinout diagram or map them out yourself, and ignore 5V and 3.3V outputs. Do note that the proprietary 6-pin connector for peripheral/SATA connections has fewer 12V lines than the dedicated VGA and EPS12V connectors, and thus shouldn't be relied on to provide similar power. Again, limit yourself to 1x 8-pin or 2x 6-pin PCIe connectors.

2.) Most PCIe power cables include either dual 6(+2)-pin connectors, or one 6(+2) and one 6-pin connector. The cable should be fine handling the load of 3x 6-pin connections, should you use one splitter per line.

3.) You should not need to use those supplementary power connections to the motherboard if you are using powered risers. However, whether or not you can use the motherboard connections and use your risers as unpowered risers depends on the design of the specific risers. Back around 2012-2013, some ribbon-style risers could be used as unpowered risers by ignoring the riser's 4-pin molex connector. However, other risers may sever a connection between the PCIe x16 slot and the PCIe x1 connector when connecting the alternate source of power (drawn directly from the PSU, rather than being drawn through the slots on the motherboard).

Thanks. Regarding #1, I was thinking something like this could work:
https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-2-Pack-6-Pin-Adapter/dp/B01DV1Z32Y
I would not use it for more than one device on that line.  Based on what I've read from others I would almost be tempted to order an extra of any adapter cables I use so I could take it apart and ensure it is actually the correct gauge and not some junk wire wrapped in fat plastic.

#3 OK so better off using a proper powered riser (Molex not SATA) and ignore the MB connectors. What's the deal with riser versions? Everyone says to use V6 but I've seen some that say Rev7. Is 7 the new best thing now?
Bakhtra

View Profile
January 06, 2018, 06:51:52 AM

008 I think better, 007 ok too, at least 006c.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: