Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 07:54:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ledger Nano Ebay Scam  (Read 94 times)
coinbureau (OP)

Activity: 49
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 06, 2018, 04:41:32 AM

There is one particularly sad story about a user who bought a fraudulent ledger nano s hardware wallet on Ebay from a third party seller.

When it arrived, something was amiss. The wallet came with a pre-generated seed word combination. The user (who was new to crypto) thought nothing of it and used the seed words to set up his wallet.

He then transferred roughly $30k to the wallet and left it for over a week. Unfortunately for the victim, the scammer could also access this device and did so promptly. They stole the coins and left the user to reach out on reddit forums for help.

https://www.coinbureau.com/news/fraudulent-ledger-hardware-wallets-sold-ebay/

This is indeed a sad story. I just wanted to share so that more can learn from his mistake and make sure that they don't fall victim to similar scams.
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mk4
Legendary

Activity: 2758
Merit: 3837

Paldo.io 🤖

View Profile
January 06, 2018, 05:50:35 AM

Is the Ledger hardware device really fraudulent? I think the seller only attempted to exploit the ignorance of the buyer and succeeded.

I really don't know how the victim was so careless and didn't even do research even though he/she had £25,000 worth of coins. Also, I don't get why you need to order from a 3rd party seller when the Ledger Nano S is almost always available on Ledger's official website[1].

[1] https://www.ledgerwallet.com/

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Memenya

Activity: 238
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 06, 2018, 06:15:47 AM

Is the Ledger hardware device really fraudulent? I think the seller only attempted to exploit the ignorance of the buyer and succeeded.

I really don't know how the victim was so careless and didn't even do research even though he/she had £25,000 worth of coins. Also, I don't get why you need to order from a 3rd party seller when the Ledger Nano S is almost always available on Ledger's official website[1].

[1] https://www.ledgerwallet.com/

I think this is most problem of newbie has. If newbie want to ask before buying something or at least do a research before do anything. Internet world is very hard sometime, it can make us cry if we dont be carefull.
But i am sorry to hear that. Hope this is the first and last. Learning from experience.
maxxdxx

Activity: 199
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 06, 2018, 03:10:18 PM

Just a reminder that the recovery card is a dangerous item, in that if someone gets their hands on it, they can take all of your currency. He made all the major mistakes. He invested more than he could afford to lose. He invested with zero research what so ever. He invested without learning how to protect himself. As of ledger website, it says to absolutely never use a ledger that had a previous word key already filled out.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: