Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 05:45:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I melted my Avalon today and need your help  (Read 4427 times)
exahash

Activity: 278
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 08, 2013, 03:14:48 PM

Lukestokes, I feel for you, so sorry.

An alternative you might not have considered: don't try to sell the working parts on clearance.  Hang on to them and watch the forums for someone else having a problem, then sell the parts at a markup.  Since you're already in the US and you can ship them overnight anywhere in the CONUS, you might be able to command enough of a premium to cover your original cost.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
lukestokes (OP)

Activity: 165
Merit: 102

Live life on purpose

View Profile WWW
August 08, 2013, 03:36:22 PM

An alternative you might not have considered: don't try to sell the working parts on clearance.  Hang on to them and watch the forums for someone else having a problem, then sell the parts at a markup.  Since you're already in the US and you can ship them overnight anywhere in the CONUS, you might be able to command enough of a premium to cover your original cost.

Thanks. That's a nice idea in theory, but the value of the miner (and its parts) is based on time. As the difficulty goes up, the value goes down. That said, you're right that a dead miner is much less useful than a working one which means people may really want the other parts. I've got a few different legitimate offers for the modules and a couple offers for the control board, router fans, and case.

I'm not interested in charging a premium or gouging, I would just like to get back as much of my original investment as possible. It's sad to see this equipment just sitting here.

http://www.foxycart.com: Helping developers create flexible, powerful, custom ecommerce in less time, while equipping merchants with the fastest checkout flow available to their customers. 60+ payment gateways, including Bitpay. Bitrated user: lukestokes.
greaterninja

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 08, 2013, 10:11:34 PM

An alternative you might not have considered: don't try to sell the working parts on clearance.  Hang on to them and watch the forums for someone else having a problem, then sell the parts at a markup.  Since you're already in the US and you can ship them overnight anywhere in the CONUS, you might be able to command enough of a premium to cover your original cost.

Thanks. That's a nice idea in theory, but the value of the miner (and its parts) is based on time. As the difficulty goes up, the value goes down. That said, you're right that a dead miner is much less useful than a working one which means people may really want the other parts. I've got a few different legitimate offers for the modules and a couple offers for the control board, router fans, and case.

I'm not interested in charging a premium or gouging, I would just like to get back as much of my original investment as possible. It's sad to see this equipment just sitting here.

I suggest you contact fidehl

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=114950

He has tons of Avalon parts batch #1, #2, #3 and he will have the 2nd generation avalon chips soon too.  Maybe if he is nice he can help you out quite easily. 
Bicknellski

View Profile
August 09, 2013, 01:26:21 PM

So any news on the melted Avalon?

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
lukestokes (OP)

Live life on purpose

View Profile WWW
August 09, 2013, 02:01:08 PM

So any news on the melted Avalon?

I think I'm going to go ahead and sell the components so others can get mining again quickly. I have two pending orders, one for 3 modules and one for a single module. There's also interest in buying the control unit and chassis. I'll probably auction that off in hopes of getting close to my original investment back.

It's been a stressful few days, but I'm thankful for the community, and the many who reached out to me. I've had numerous phone calls, skype, irc, google chat, email, and PM conversations.

Some things I learned:
- Batch 2 control units are not be compatible with batch 3 modules.
- People who deal regularly with solder, circuit boards, and the like think creating a board is trivially easy and rerouting fan wires to custom connections is doable. I commend you all, but I'm just not there.
- THINK before you turn on something new. I was so excited to get mining, I didn't think. Looking back, it's obvious the unit needed a distribution of power. I'm just surprised and deeply saddened it turned on at all. I hope future PDU boards have better power isolation.

When the sales are finalized, I'll give more updates. I'll probably blog about it as well as a handy reminder whenever I need another dose of humility.

http://www.foxycart.com: Helping developers create flexible, powerful, custom ecommerce in less time, while equipping merchants with the fastest checkout flow available to their customers. 60+ payment gateways, including Bitpay. Bitrated user: lukestokes.
dwdoc
Legendary

Activity: 966

- - -Caveat Aleo- - -

View Profile
August 09, 2013, 02:14:32 PM

I tried powering one of my 7790 GPU's with a sata cable and bricked my $2000 mining rig a few weeks ago.  Except for usb block erupters I think I'll pay for hosting from now on...
Bicknellski

View Profile
August 09, 2013, 02:17:47 PM

There is a lot of good that goes on in the community and it is nice to hear that you have found so many willing to help. I wish you the best and ya do a nice blog about it as it will be good for others to read and gain insight. From your loss there could be a few less tragedies I suppose. Glad your house didn't catch fire either and no one was hurt those are some horrific burns to the unit.

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
Olly_K

Activity: 361

View Profile
August 09, 2013, 07:44:58 PM

Lol 1250W Cool people are really stupid, you can not use powerful PSU for lower unit/PC it'll burn your stuff  Tongue people never learn less is more (not in USA)

lolwut ?

lukestokes (OP)

Live life on purpose

View Profile WWW
August 09, 2013, 09:37:16 PM

There is a lot of good that goes on in the community and it is nice to hear that you have found so many willing to help. I wish you the best and ya do a nice blog about it as it will be good for others to read and gain insight. From your loss there could be a few less tragedies I suppose. Glad your house didn't catch fire either and no one was hurt those are some horrific burns to the unit.

I was thinking the same thing. My entire house could have burned down because the PDU doesn't isolate where it gets power from and, as I've stated many times, I was an idiot and didn't think it through. I checked it via the web interface that morning around 6:00am and it was still cranking away when I left a few minutes later. When I got back around 9:30am, it wasn't mining anymore. Things can _always_ be worse. I realized I've been pretty wrapped up in this thing since I first contemplated buying one so many months ago.

I tried powering one of my 7790 GPU's with a sata cable and bricked my $2000 mining rig a few weeks ago.  Except for usb block erupters I think I'll pay for hosting from now on...

Ouch. So very sorry that happened to you. I hope our experiences will help others avoid similar problems.

fasmax

Activity: 378

View Profile
August 09, 2013, 10:01:46 PM

As long as the FPGA controller board isn't damaged seems like you should be able to get  most of your machine mining.
What in what state are you located?
Ytterbium

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
August 09, 2013, 10:14:29 PM

Yet, you're deleting all the comments in your HashFast Oil cooling thread telling you it's a bad idea to replace WATER COOLING with OIL COOLING.

Maybe you should listen to this guy's problem before cooking $50k worth of hardware.

Unacceptable
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 10, 2013, 03:54:38 AM

As long as the FPGA controller board isn't damaged seems like you should be able to get  most of your machine mining.
What in what state are you located?

I'm interested too,I live in Florida & would drive aways to help  Wink  Just buy my gas & I'll get it running  Grin

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
Got GOXXED ?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KiqRpPiJAU&feature=youtu.be
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
GodfatherBond

Activity: 264

View Profile
August 10, 2013, 09:57:43 AM

Sorry to hear what happened... Hopefully you will get it up and runnig again or investment back by selling parts.

I have to admit that I was quite close to do the same thing... I was very eager to get it running immediatelly out of the box - first plugged only ATX-cable. 10 years ago I have build over thousand PC:s and something ringed warning bells with 1250W and just ATX-cable or maybe it was empty socets at PDU.

Usually I do not read manuals, this time I made exception and read Avalon Wiki, but there was nothing about required PDU wiring... Would be good idea to add for future reference.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: