Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 04:43:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Help Making GET Request on BitStamp API  (Read 2941 times)
jwest411 (OP)

Activity: 107
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 10:20:19 PM
Last edit: August 07, 2013, 11:03:33 PM by jwest411

Hi everyone,
I am trying to make a GET request to pull the ticker from the bitstamp api, but I am getting a 403 forbidden server error. This is surprising because you are not supposed to need any credentials to access the ticker. Here is a snippet of the code I am using:

String path  ="https://www.bitstamp.net/api/ticker/";
        try{
           URL queryUrl = new URL(path);
             HttpsURLConnection connection = (HttpsURLConnection)queryUrl.openConnection();

connection.setRequestMethod("GET");

BufferedReader reader = new BufferedReader( newInputStreamReader(connection.getInputStream()));
        }catch (Exception e){
               System.out.println("exception in querying BS");
           }

I am getting the error when I try to construct the input stream of course. I know that I have been verified and have turned on API access on my account. Does anyone know of any other reason why I might be getting the 403 response? Or maybe see an error in my code? This is driving me crazy!

I would really appreciate your wisdom!
Thanks,
Jon

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
solex
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

100 satoshis -> ISO code

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 10:25:07 PM

What happens if you try ""https://www.bitstamp.net/api/order_book/" instead...

jwest411 (OP)

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 10:59:50 PM
Last edit: August 07, 2013, 11:33:27 PM by jwest411

I tried using order_book, and I am still getting a 403. Well, technically the code I posted catches the exception.

here are some more potentially useful facts:
1) The error stream is null, server response message is "Forbidden", and permissions: ("java.net.SocketPermission" "www.bitstamp.net:80" "connect,resolve")
2) I am getting the same exact responses when I am doing a POST request with "balance" method (with user and password params included in post)

hmm...
BitPirate

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

RMBTB.com: The secure BTC:CNY exchange. 0% fee!

View Profile
August 08, 2013, 12:45:57 AM

I tried using order_book, and I am still getting a 403. Well, technically the code I posted catches the exception.

here are some more potentially useful facts:
1) The error stream is null, server response message is "Forbidden", and permissions: ("java.net.SocketPermission" "www.bitstamp.net:80" "connect,resolve")
2) I am getting the same exact responses when I am doing a POST request with "balance" method (with user and password params included in post)

hmm...

Should be port 443 right?

jwest411 (OP)

View Profile
August 08, 2013, 01:08:22 AM
Last edit: August 08, 2013, 02:46:59 AM by jwest411

BitPirate,
I looked it up and I see that port 443 means an ssl connection so that makes sense because I know that is the required type of connection... although I already thought I was connected over ssl since I used httpsurlconnection. How do I check what port I am on? Is that "80" in the permissions my current port? I will look up how to set up a proper ssl connection in the meantime.

I have a good feeling about your response!

edit: it appears that HttpsURLConnection does in fact use port 443 by default.

another edit: I tried using  System.setProperty("https.proxyPort", "443");
but to no avail. I am still getting "www.bitstamp.net:80" in the permissions though-- is there something else I have to do to set the server port to 443?
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
August 08, 2013, 03:37:05 AM

could it be your importing com.sun.net.ssl.HttpsURLConnection when you really want javax.net.ssl.HttpsURLConnection??

Dunkelheit667
Legendary

Activity: 1045
Merit: 1157

no degradation

View Profile
August 08, 2013, 03:48:01 AM

Well, you have to add some header information (User-Agent etc.), try to emulate a browser... Guess it's some kind of DDoS protection. Wired for an API, however, it works. Wink

"And the machine keeps pushing time through the cogs, like paste into strings into paste again, and only the machine keeps using time to make time to make time.
And when the machine stops, time is an illusion that we created free will.
" - an unnamed Hybrid
jwest411 (OP)

View Profile
August 08, 2013, 04:23:13 AM

@adamstgBit, good point and thanks for the suggestion, though I was already using the javax package.

Well, you have to add some header information (User-Agent etc.), try to emulate a browser... Guess it's some kind of DDoS protection. Wired for an API, however, it works. Wink
@Dunkelheit667-Thank you so much! After I added the header information it worked. Though I am not exactly sure why... what other values could I have entered as "content-type" and "user-agent" in the header fields? Anywways, you are a godsend!
Dunkelheit667
Legendary

no degradation

View Profile
August 08, 2013, 04:58:10 AM

@Dunkelheit667-Thank you so much! After I added the header information it worked. Though I am not exactly sure why... what other values could I have entered as "content-type" and "user-agent" in the header fields? Anywways, you are a godsend!

You're welcome! Glad it worked with just adding some header information. Smiley Same for me, not sure why it works... But have seen these 403s on many pages. As mentioned, guess it's something like a DDoS protection or keeping bots outside. Even if this would not make much sense for an API in this particular case (and Bitstamp gave some information and rules how to use the API). As long as the server will not receive (enough) header information, it just throws a 403. Roll Eyes

You will find additional header fields there: http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2616#section-14

One additional hint. Your script will work today and in some weeks, you might get a 403 again. Just add additional or different fields/values. It's always a bit playing around. Which fields/values the server will expect/accept today/tomorrow...

"And the machine keeps pushing time through the cogs, like paste into strings into paste again, and only the machine keeps using time to make time to make time.
" - an unnamed Hybrid
jwest411 (OP)

View Profile
August 08, 2013, 03:54:15 PM

Thanks, I will keep that in mind. Also, just for anyone else who might have this problem, the header fields I added are
connection.setRequestProperty("Content-Type","application/x-www-form-urlencoded");
        connection.setRequestProperty("User-Agent", "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; Java Test client)");

I hope anyone else who has this problem sees this thread!
-Paul
jwest411 (OP)

View Profile
August 08, 2013, 06:26:59 PM

update/warning:
I was just banned from Bitstamp for using these header lines! So watch out because the header lines posted above are NOT a good solution! I suppose using another one of the possibilities given by DunkelHeit667 might be better.

On that note, how do I get un-banned from BitStamp?
Dunkelheit667
Legendary

no degradation

View Profile
August 08, 2013, 07:15:40 PM

On that note, how do I get un-banned from BitStamp?

Guess simply getting a new IP should solve this.

Bitstamps suggests:

Request limits

Do not make more than 600 request per 10 minutes or we will ban your IP address.

" - an unnamed Hybrid
jwest411 (OP)

View Profile
August 08, 2013, 08:36:11 PM

Yeah its possible that was the cause, though surprising... I was using a POST to set a buy limit order in a timer loop (bad idea in retrospect), but I didn't have any funds in my account at the time so I thought it would just give me an "insufficient funds" or something, plus I really doubt I made over 600 requests. But either way, I will change my ip address and see what happens. Do you think I will need to change my "user-agent"?
Dunkelheit667
Legendary

no degradation

View Profile
August 08, 2013, 08:51:38 PM

Not sure if the mentioned figures are still the actual limit. Just noticed as well there is a limit. Wink Requires some playing to test this frontier. I'm fine with eight API requests per hour (simply obtaining actual exchange rates). Nope, in case your IP was banned, there will be no need to change the User-Agent.

" - an unnamed Hybrid
daybyter
Legendary

Activity: 965
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 09, 2013, 06:21:59 PM

Oh...another Java coder! Cool! Welcome!

Take a look at:

https://github.com/ReAzem/cryptocoin-tradelib/blob/master/modules/bitstamp/src/de/andreas_rueckert/trade/site/bitstamp/client/BitstampClient.java

It's not complete yet, but it might help you...

mazi

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 19, 2013, 10:04:11 AM

Have you tried https://github.com/timmolter/XChange ? It provides a unified interface to several Bitcoin exchanges; some of the issues mentioned here are already solved in XChange.

Here's a Bitstamp ticker demo:
https://github.com/timmolter/XChange/blob/develop/xchange-examples/src/main/java/com/xeiam/xchange/examples/bitstamp/marketdata/TickerDemo.java

Hope this helps!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: