Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 05:47:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Offline Wallet Newbie Question  (Read 142 times)
Python86 (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 06, 2018, 11:04:37 AM

Hi guys, quick question. I'm hoping to buy some coins today. The plan is to try and store them in an offline paper wallet. Long story short, I'm not sure how clean my laptop is as the anti virus I use is free so I doubt it's gonna be as accurate as the higher paid anti virus brands. Anyway, if I was to do all the offline wallet moves in safe mode on my laptop, would that make it safe to do in terms of viruses being an issue? Cause as far as I'm aware, viruses don't work when in safe mode so I assume that should make it ok to do procedure. Any help, advice? Thanks
Alartonicus

Activity: 87
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 06, 2018, 01:08:42 PM

Create a new virtual machine or loading from clean Live-OS like Linux or Windows PE
bitcoinblog

Activity: 496
Merit: 252

View Profile
January 06, 2018, 01:51:43 PM

Hi guys, quick question. I'm hoping to buy some coins today. The plan is to try and store them in an offline paper wallet. Long story short, I'm not sure how clean my laptop is as the anti virus I use is free so I doubt it's gonna be as accurate as the higher paid anti virus brands. Anyway, if I was to do all the offline wallet moves in safe mode on my laptop, would that make it safe to do in terms of viruses being an issue? Cause as far as I'm aware, viruses don't work when in safe mode so I assume that should make it ok to do procedure. Any help, advice? Thanks

Your solution is in either
  • VMWare Player
  • Oracle powered VirtualBox

Both are working good. And u can install either Linux as that is free or if u have Windows then install that too. Both supports almost all OS present in market.

If this not works for u then i will suggest BlueStack to install , then install a Webserver on Bluestack.

Download Walletgenerator Paperwallet generator from Github, Unzip in webserver , access it in localhost with 127.0.0.1 and make wallet , copy the address and privatekey then Uninstall Bluestack. That's it.

I don't think this much safe anything is possible at the moment.

Grin

** FREE SPACE **
lady pink

Activity: 49

View Profile
January 06, 2018, 02:00:17 PM

Your solution is in either
  • VMWare Player
  • Oracle powered VirtualBox

Both are working good. And u can install either Linux as that is free or if u have Windows then install that too. Both supports almost all OS present in market.

If this not works for u then i will suggest BlueStack to install , then install a Webserver on Bluestack.

Download Walletgenerator Paperwallet generator from Github, Unzip in webserver , access it in localhost with 127.0.0.1 and make wallet , copy the address and privatekey then Uninstall Bluestack. That's it.

I don't think this much safe anything is possible at the moment.

Grin
Is It necessary to uninstall bluestack? Just a question came to mind as it could help me too to get a paper wallet.
Thanks
dothebeats
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 1353

CoinPoker.com

View Profile
January 06, 2018, 02:34:26 PM

Personally I use virtual machines in generating a new paper wallet in order to be safe and secure. The above suggestion with bluestacks is also a safe method of generating a new paper wallet. If you aren't quite techie and just want to get things done, try looking for a machine wit fresh install of Windows or Linux. It gets the job done and the risks associated are almost none (assuming you don't visit sketchy sites before you do the procedure).

bitcoinblog

Activity: 496
Merit: 252

View Profile
January 06, 2018, 08:42:28 PM

Is It necessary to uninstall bluestack? Just a question came to mind as it could help me too to get a paper wallet.
Thanks

It depends on you. Usually bluestack after sometime makes machine slow. Atleast i am feeling it slow down my machine. So once work done let it go.  Tongue

** FREE SPACE **
cryptoflip.it

Activity: 33

View Profile
January 06, 2018, 08:44:26 PM

Maybe just use a machine without malware through it? I wouldn't trust safe mode.
Python86 (OP)

View Profile
January 07, 2018, 10:52:06 AM

Thanks for all the helpful responses guys. So can I just clarify, if I open a virtual drive/machine on my current laptop, even if the laptop did have a virus on it, the virus will not affect the virtual drive/machine when using it? Is this because the hard drive will be partitioned to create the virtual drive/machine? Thanks
iolite

Activity: 56

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2018, 11:37:21 AM

You can download myetherewallet and use it offline without internet access, dont copy past the private key but write id down on paper and make several copaies.
anthoer thing is save the Jason file on new USB and make sure you dont have it on your pc
Python86 (OP)

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 02:11:54 PM

To buy anti virus and I suggest to use a Virtual Machine to setup a pure system.

Thanks for all the advice guys. So just to confirm, if I set up a virtual machine on a laptop/computer which I'm not sure has a virus on. If a virus is on that machine, will it spill into the virtual system and still be obtainable by hackers? Or it will be safe either way so long as I do everything specifically on the virtual machine? Can anyone confirm?? Thanks
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: