Bitcoin Forum
July 29, 2024, 06:35:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Probabilistic nanopayments implementation - deciding on a license  (Read 455 times)
hi-entropy (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 08, 2013, 05:13:19 AM

Hi guys!

As my first foray into open source software, I've come up with a working Node.js implementation of https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Nanopayments.  Before I release it, I need to decide on a license.  I'm thinking of going with GPL v3, because I recently saw Richard Stallman talk and I liked his ideas and beard.

Wondering
- Are there any implementations of nanopayments that already exist?
- Does the fact that I didn't come up with the nanopayment protocol restrict what licenses I can use?
- If I start with GPL v3, I can always relax the license to be more lenient, right?
- Any other implications of choosing a license that I should consider?

Advice much appreciated!!!
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
August 08, 2013, 05:23:59 AM

- Are there any implementations of nanopayments that already exist?

I don't know of any however unless you used that project's source code it wouldn't matter.

Does the fact that I didn't come up with the nanopayment protocol restrict what licenses I can use?

Unless you used someone else's code you can license it however you want.  If your code is derived from another project's code then you are bound by the copyleft provisions (if any).

If I start with GPL v3, I can always relax the license to be more lenient, right?

No.  You can however dual license the project (simultaneous commercial license and GPL license).  
GPL is a license with a strong copy left provision.  It requires that all derived works also assume that license.
GPL would be pretty toothless if you or someone else could simply derive from it (release an updated version) and remove the copyleft provision.

Any other implications of choosing a license that I should consider?
If you don't understand the implications I would recommend doing some research.
You can always use a more permissive license like MIT which would keep the project open source but allow just about any type of derived projects (even closed source proprietary ones).

hi-entropy (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 10, 2013, 05:35:26 AM

Okay, I guess I better read up on open source licenses.  Not the most interesting thing for me, but it's important.  Thanks for the advice!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: