Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 08:20:00 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How/where does everyone run their ALT wallets?  (Read 119 times)
CointoHash411 (OP)

Activity: 84
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 06, 2018, 04:55:26 PM

Good morning,

I am trying to gather more information on how/where everyone is keeping their ALT wallets? I know many of us don't store most of it in the exchanges due to their risk.
The questions I am attempting to answer are these:
1. Are you using a separate dedicated computer to keep all the ALT wallets on?
2. What alternate software for wallets is out their and is it crap?
3. Would you rather have a hardware wallet like a TREZOR or Ledger Nano S than a small footprint computer device like a PI?
4. What are the core limitations & differences of the two hardware wallets above?

Much thanks to all that can help me answer these questions!

-CointoHash411
mangkanor

Activity: 210
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 06, 2018, 04:59:51 PM

Good morning,

I am trying to gather more information on how/where everyone is keeping their ALT wallets? I know many of us don't store most of it in the exchanges due to their risk.
3. Would you rather have a hardware wallet like a TREZOR or Ledger Nano S than a small footprint computer device like a PI?
4. What are the core limitations & differences of the two hardware wallets above?

-CointoHash411

Most secured place to hold your alts is in a hardwallet ledgern nano s and trezor is almost the same,but i recommend nano s because its cheaper and handy the only limitations with these two hardwallets is you can put all the alts out there some are not yet listed,dont trust any online wallet they are risky storage.

CointoHash411 (OP)

View Profile
January 06, 2018, 05:11:19 PM

Good morning,

-CointoHash411

Most secured place to hold your alts is in a hardwallet ledgern nano s and trezor is almost the same,but i recommend nano s because its cheaper and handy the only limitations with these two hardwallets is you can put all the alts out there some are not yet listed,dont trust any online wallet they are risky storage.

Thanks but doesn't the Ledger and Trezor still need to update/sync the block on their respective block chains? I am seeing that both wallets have this issue.

Respectfully,
-CointoHash411
Patchee

Activity: 31

View Profile
January 06, 2018, 05:13:49 PM

Make sure to also diversify your wallet accounts. DON'T hold everything in the same wallet, minimize risk by having multiple ones so that if one gets compromised, you're not losing everything.
mangkanor

Merit: 10

View Profile
January 06, 2018, 05:15:35 PM

Good morning,

-CointoHash411

Thanks but doesn't the Ledger and Trezor still need to update/sync the block on their respective block chains? I am seeing that both wallets have this issue.

Respectfully,
-CointoHash411
If you are afraid of the syncing process,you should consider getting a paper wallet instead just be sure you will secure it in a safe place.

natasha-lev

View Profile
January 06, 2018, 05:17:39 PM

Good morning,

-CointoHash411

Thinking about safety for a long time now. Saw many people in the forum that lost their crypto savings. I think I am gonna use separate notebook for crypto (thinking to buy a cheap) and a harwallet (50%/50%).
I still didn't get the mechanism of hardwallet, so not sure to store all 100% on one device.((
natasha-lev

View Profile
January 06, 2018, 05:20:48 PM

Make sure to also diversify your wallet accounts. DON'T hold everything in the same wallet, minimize risk by having multiple ones so that if one gets compromised, you're not losing everything.

Having multiple wallets is good diversification, but usually we keep all private keys in one place from multiple wallets. Thus, if we are hacked - all our funds will go away((
CointoHash411 (OP)

View Profile
January 06, 2018, 05:24:23 PM

Ok,

To let the cat breath out of the bag.
I am planning on designing a wallet node system that will sync wallets between them securely using RPI or UP boards. I want to give the ability to off load all this block chain syncing to a iot device vs keeping them on an single compute device that is also being utilized for a majority of other tasks.

-CointoHash411
CointoHash411 (OP)

View Profile
January 06, 2018, 05:41:19 PM

Having multiple wallets is good diversification, but usually we keep all private keys in one place from multiple wallets. Thus, if we are hacked - all our funds will go away((

If you can let me know the obvious vulnerabilities that come with running all these alt wallets in an non-diversified manner, let me know.

-CointoHash411
Beerwizzard

Activity: 924
Merit: 148

View Profile
January 06, 2018, 06:37:30 PM

Tbh those hardwere wallets are not much better then the common cold storage for your wallets. if you have a large amount of altcoins then you can just store your private keys offline (on a flash drive for example) or use a wallet that support 2fa. Imho the mentioned idea of diversification of your altcoins to multiple wallets sounds pretty bad. There will be more risks than potential safety and you will need to store those keys separately on multiple devices to make this idea work.
Caesar-Giulius

Activity: 728
Merit: 250

Buy, sell and store real cryptocurrencies

View Profile
January 06, 2018, 06:40:52 PM

I use hardware wallets to keep majority of my coins. For those coins not supported by hardware wallets, I use the official wallets.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
██████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████▀██████████████
█████████▄▄      ▀▀██▀╜  ▀▀███████████
████████████▄       ██   ▀^╓▀█████████
██████████████      ║█    ,▀██████████
█████████████▄▄      █▌   ████████████
████████████████▄     ▀█▄  ███████████
████████████████▀,,,    ╙▀▀█▀ ████████
█████████████████▀▀▀█▄▄       ████████
███████████████▀     ▀███████▀████████
██████████████▌       ▐█* ▀▓▀ ████████
████████████*██▄     ▄██▄▄▄▄▄▄████████
██████████▀`  ▀██▄   ▀████████████████
████████▀`  ▄█████▌   ╙███████████████
████████▄,   ▀████ ,,,  "▀▀███████████
██████████,,,,, ╙█▄███▄▄,,,,╙▀████████
L B X.

■                         ■                        ■                        ■                        ■                        ■                         ■
The London Block Exchange
■                         ■                        ■                        ■                        ■                        ■                         ■

WDownload OnW
[.
          ▄▄█▀
         ███▀
   ▄▄▄▄  ▀  ▄▄▄▄
 ▄███████▄██████▌
▐██████████████▌
███████████████
▐██████████████▌
 ███████████████▌
  ██████████████▌
   ▀████▀▀▀████▀
/      ▌ ▄▄▄▄ ▐
     ▄█▀████▀█▄
    ▐██████████▌
 ▄▄ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ▄▄
▐██▌████████████▐██▌
▐██▌████████████▐██▌
▐██▌████████████▐██▌
 ▀▀ ████████████ ▀▀
    ▀██████████▀
      ▐██  ██▌
      ▐██  ██▌
]

CointoHash411 (OP)

View Profile
January 07, 2018, 01:04:08 AM

If anyone has great ideas on how to keep your altcoin wallets aka QT programs safe then i'm all ears. What limitations do you guys/gals face with the trezor and nano s devices and what complaints have you found?

-CointoHash411
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: