Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 08:51:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2013-08-07 Bitcoin upgrade aims for smoother e-commerce  (Read 3116 times)
zakoliverz (OP)

Activity: 536
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 08, 2013, 09:13:43 AM

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2046182/bitcoin-upgrade-aims-for-smoother-ecommerce.html

"This payment protocol represents a major advance in security and usability," said Jeff Garzik, senior software engineer at BitPay, an Atlanta-based company that builds Bitcoin software tools.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
solex
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

100 satoshis -> ISO code

View Profile
August 08, 2013, 10:28:35 AM

I'm looking forward to seeing these changes in action. Hope they make the 0.9 version.

Mike Hearn
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1128

View Profile
August 08, 2013, 10:42:08 AM

The journalist asked me for some things the payment protocol would allow. Here's the list I came up with:

• Privacy upgrades (better block chain obfuscation)
  • Dispute mediation
  • Temporary "authorize and hold" type transactions, as sometimes are done with credit cards by hotels/car rental firms/etc
  • Subscriptions
  • Better support for tipping in service industries
  • Security upgrades:
    • Being able to receive money directly to a threshold signed "account" so business funds can't be easily embezzled.
    • Tackling viruses that may be on your computer
    • Ability to temporarily extend a corporate identity to employees, e.g. waiters could use their smartphone to obtain a 24-hour certificate allowing them to request money as Starbucks Inc, and then at the end of the day that authorization expires.
  • Marking transactions with a "You saved $X by using Bitcoin!" so merchants can pass on some of the savings from avoiding credit card fees, and users wallets can show them a running total of how much money they saved. It's just a neat little psychological trick but I think it'd be cool to see the money you earned by using Bitcoin clock upwards every time you use it.
  • Merchant-pays-fee, which would simplify some things for end users. At the moment network fees (though very small) end up being paid by the sender of the money, which can result in weird looking balances and amounts.
  • Sending transactions directly by Bluetooth, so you can make purchases without a working internet connection
  • Automatic, interaction-less payments to trusted merchants. For instance if you walk into a Starbucks, you don't worry that they're going to scam you because their brand is worth more than that. You can configure your smartphone to just automatically pay whatever they request, when they request it (up to a safety limit). Now you can just walk in, order a coffee and walk out, and nobody ever even has to mention money let alone reach into their pocket. The cashier entered your order on her screen, picked your face and first name from a list of people in the shop, your phone automatically woke up, talked to the tablet they're using, verified their identity via the payment protocol ... and paid them. Done.
  • Social network integration, so payments show up as being to names/photos instead of addresses
  • Provable person to person payments, so you can sign payment requests with your e-Passport and someone else can prove they sent you the money. Useful for reducing risk for in person cash trading (localbitcoins.com). Currently the payment protocol only supports verified identities for websites and email addresses, but it can be extended in future.
  • Assisted calculations for tax returns, e.g. payments can be marked with VAT codes and then your wallet could automatically file the relevant paperwork for you.
  • Smart property

There are certainly other use cases I didn't think of or forgot about.
Itcher

Activity: 364
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 08, 2013, 11:20:37 AM

Sounds great. Do you know when the new version will be implemented?
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358

View Profile
August 08, 2013, 11:24:55 AM

Better tipping support? Social network integration? Really? Roll Eyes
There is no real work to do? Like avoiding that shitty leveldb from becoming corrupt every day and needing a full reindex?
Don't get me wrong. You guys do an awesome job, but what good will those "features for the regular user" do when "regular users" can't even use Bitcoin-qt(or any other full client) to begin with?
Mike Hearn
Legendary

View Profile
August 08, 2013, 11:37:59 AM

It's just a list of ideas for the future, not an announcement that they're actually going to be worked on.

LevelDB should not become corrupt every day, for sure, and for many people it's rock solid. Are you on a Mac, by any chance?
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

View Profile
August 08, 2013, 11:46:21 AM

It's just a list of ideas for the future, not an announcement that they're actually going to be worked on.

Oh lol I guess I need to re-read the article more slowly, cause i really got the impression you guys were already working on implementing them for the 0.9 release.

Are you on a Mac, by any chance?

Nope. Laptop PC's. All of them using Ubuntu. One Acer, one Asus and one HP. I've already given up of using Bitcoin-qt at home. Got tired of getting scared every time I closed the client. Using Electrum for now.
Mike Hearn
Legendary

View Profile
August 08, 2013, 12:50:03 PM

The article talks about the payment protocol v1, which has only one or two features. The list is for things that could be added later.

We've seen that in some cases LevelDB and power management/suspend/resume don't seem to be interacting well, although given that LevelDB doesn't do anything particularly exotic with the file system it seems like any such corruption issues might be more OS related than Bitcoin related. You probably don't have many other apps that are constantly reading/writing to the filesystem in quite the same way.
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

View Profile
August 08, 2013, 02:23:03 PM

The article talks about the payment protocol v1, which has only one or two features. The list is for things that could be added later.

We've seen that in some cases LevelDB and power management/suspend/resume don't seem to be interacting well, although given that LevelDB doesn't do anything particularly exotic with the file system it seems like any such corruption issues might be more OS related than Bitcoin related. You probably don't have many other apps that are constantly reading/writing to the filesystem in quite the same way.

I would be very glad if there was a command that allowed to reindex after block X in which X is any block number given by the user.
brishtiteveja

Activity: 49
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 06:49:10 AM

Hi Mike,
    I am a network researcher from Japan. These ideas are quite fascinating. I can imagine a whole series of apps coming next in Apple and android stores implementing these. Specially the less-interaction coffee consumption idea is awesome. And social identity recognition are also obvious to happen. Can't wait to see these coming. It's going to be a crypto ride.
Mike Hearn
Legendary

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 05:10:27 PM

Glad you found it interesting!
brishtiteveja

Activity: 49
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 09:21:33 PM

Glad you found it interesting!

Yeah.. Keep giving more ...
zeetubes

Activity: 371
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 03:35:58 AM

Great work. I'm in malaysia at the moment and I'm planning a quick trip to china. I would happily pay for the whole thing (taxis, flights, hotels, meals, and yes, lots of coffee :>) with bitcoins, but for now it's not really practical. These are still early days. I guess it's a case of I need more patience, and I need it RIGHT NOW!!! Smiley
enquirer

Activity: 306
Merit: 257

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 07:02:10 AM

it seems like any such corruption issues might be more OS related than Bitcoin related

<TROLL MODE>
  Just use normal OS (Windows)
</TROLL MODE]
Mike Hearn
Legendary

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 01:20:38 PM

We gave up on mmap on OS X, it was too broken. The latest versions should be stable on Mac's now.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: