Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 05:01:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Critical Security Release: Please update to Electrum 3.0.5  (Read 901 times)
Niya

Activity: 811
Merit: 512

Enhalo Mining

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2018, 08:50:14 PM

3.0.5 was just released which fixes this bug completely.

Very good!

So, to recap, if we upgrade to 3.0.5. we can run Electrum and browse the web or run other apps at the same time safely, with no worries, right?
Also, why Thomas is not speaking in this thread? This is one of the worst problems in the whole Electrum history and it's strange its main developer wrote nothing about that here on bitcointalk...
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
asdlolciterquit

Activity: 1666
Merit: 565

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 09:16:44 PM

This is kinda .... disappointing ... always air gap! though.

Ditto!  IMHO, air gap is more secure than a hardware wallet.

ok well, air gap is great, but don't you think that is much more easy to buy and use a hardware wallet than to create an air gap? I don't even know where to start...
Abdussamad (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3612
Merit: 1564

View Profile
January 09, 2018, 12:27:52 AM

3.0.5 was just released which fixes this bug completely.

Very good!

So, to recap, if we upgrade to 3.0.5. we can run Electrum and browse the web or run other apps at the same time safely, with no worries, right?
Also, why Thomas is not speaking in this thread? This is one of the worst problems in the whole Electrum history and it's strange its main developer wrote nothing about that here on bitcointalk...

He and the other developers were busy fixing the bug. He's said he will put out a statement soon.

The bug mainly affects people with no password on their wallets. If you have any sort of strong password like 10+ mixed characters you are safe.
jerry0

Activity: 1736
Merit: 186

View Profile
January 09, 2018, 12:37:02 AM

Can others confirm here 100 percent that downloading the electrum windows installer from the official website is safe?

People say to look at the signature but you dont need to look at it though right if its the actual website since everyone who downloads electrum the new version is downloading it directly from electrum website?

Abdussamad (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 09, 2018, 04:38:45 AM

Can others confirm here 100 percent that downloading the electrum windows installer from the official website is safe?

People say to look at the signature but you dont need to look at it though right if its the actual website since everyone who downloads electrum the new version is downloading it directly from electrum website?

You should check the signature since websites can get hacked. There are also lots of fake websites out there. Checking the signature rules out all of this. Sure it's a bit of a bother to learn how to check the sig but once you've learned it you can keep doing it every time you update electrum. And you will have to update electrum because it gets new releases very often.
Abdussamad (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 09, 2018, 06:27:09 AM

Hi
Use 3.0.3
What is the main danger? It is possible more in detail? If I use the wallet on a separate laptop without surfing on the Internet, for me there is still a threat?
+ ptotected by password strong

Providing there's a strong password your encrypted seed can be gathered but if the password is 15+ chars it can't be hacked.

It is recommended you upgrade but if you have a password and dont surf the web from that device there shouldn't be too much of a threat.

Encrypted seed cannot be gathered i.e. they cannot get at the cipher text . All they can do is attempt to guess your password via the json rpc interface. That is a slow process so it's not really going to crack any sort of reasonably strong password.
Millionero

Activity: 807
Merit: 423

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 01:59:44 PM

How do I check which electrum version I'm running? I followed the instructions at the electrum website to install 3.05.    What command can I type that will print the version number now, so I can be sure?
TheQuin

Activity: 2576
Merit: 882

Freebitco.in Support https://bit.ly/2I9BVS2

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2018, 02:07:12 PM

How do I check which electrum version I'm running? I followed the instructions at the electrum website to install 3.05.    What command can I type that will print the version number now, so I can be sure?

Just look at the top left of the window

Also the Help > About

freebitcoin.TO WIN A  LAMBORGHINI!..

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
                    ▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
                    ▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
                    ▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
                    ▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
                      ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
                           ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
                   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
pesetacoin33

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 11, 2018, 02:27:39 PM

1) I have windows view. When running version 3.0.5 of electrum, it gives me errors: in api-ms-win-crt-runtime-I1-1-0.dll and in python_dll. I downloaded these dll, but the errors continue. Then I said that I have to download the pyqt5 program and its packages, but it's very complicated. It seems to me that version 3.0.5 is too complicated to install. What solutions can I have?

2) Version 2.9.3 I protected it with a password from the beginning. Should I update even if I put a password?

Thanks you so much
ThomasV
Legendary

Activity: 1896
Merit: 1353

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2018, 03:23:06 PM

I opened another thread, which is pinned.

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks
LZ
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1072

P2P Cryptocurrency

View Profile
January 11, 2018, 09:45:06 PM

I have windows view. When running version 3.0.5 of electrum, it gives me errors: in api-ms-win-crt-runtime-I1-1-0.dll and in python_dll.
You need to install KB2999226 (to install it you may also need to install the latest Service Pack).

My OpenPGP fingerprint: 5099EB8C0F2E68C63B4ECBB9A9D0993E04143362
Millionero

Activity: 807
Merit: 423

View Profile
January 12, 2018, 01:13:11 AM

I opened another thread, which is pinned.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2721388.0
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: