Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 09:40:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Not helping the 1%  (Read 118 times)
AVROMCR (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 07, 2018, 07:58:11 PM

So anonymity and freedom from government control is key for social and political activists. But it threatens also to help the 1% to better hide their billions from tax authorities. How can we guard against this and ensure that cryptocurrency gives the majority more power and financial strength?
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
January 07, 2018, 08:00:42 PM

So anonymity and freedom from government control is key for social and political activists. But it threatens also to help the 1% to better hide their billions from tax authorities. How can we guard against this and ensure that cryptocurrency gives the majority more power and financial strength?

HODL

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
Ashimwe

Activity: 168
Merit: 1

View Profile
January 07, 2018, 09:16:12 PM

HODL

lol
Mometaskers

Activity: 1764
Merit: 584

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 07:46:58 PM

Not much I can think of. Even with regulations from the government, the 1% would still find a way to hide their money away (which is what we are also doing anyway, right?). If enough people use crypto and the tax revenue dries up, maybe the government would then go after these hidden accounts. Much easier to go after a few big fish who have large money hidden in crypto rather than go after plenty of small fry.
aesma

Activity: 2394
Merit: 918

fly or die

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 08:24:19 PM

If you don't want government then you don't want taxes either, so that doesn't matter.

Mad7Scientist

Activity: 373
Merit: 262

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 08:33:03 PM

You can't fix the problem of the rich not paying taxes until such taxes are abolished for everyone. Then it can be fair.
Sneginka111

Activity: 308
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 09:04:35 PM

HODL

lol

lol x2, lol'd hard.
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 11:21:54 PM
Last edit: January 08, 2018, 11:45:15 PM by tvbcof

HODL

lol

lol x2, lol'd hard.

I didn't really mean it as a joke, though I did hope that it would give some people a chuckle.

Seriously, unlike debt-based money like the USD, Bitcoin cannot be manipulated by those who already have it.  e.g., stolen through inflation, the judicial system, etc.  Unlike the otherwise bitcoin-similar old-school money gold, Bitcoin was not already safely tucked away in a Swiss vault prior to your (dear reader's) birth.

A long time ago on this board the question was posed about how to destroy Bitcoin.  One of my ideas was to hoover it all up back then using ultimately useless dollars which the wealthy, who Bitcoin could eventually threaten, have in abundance and are thus who are always in search of a burn pit for anyway.  I'm sure that this happened to a degree, but I'm equally sure that there remain enough un-corraled BTC to make it a distateful reserve currency relative to most other options.  For several reasons.

---

edit:

Don't worry to much about 'the 1%'.  This is more-or-less anyone who owns a home and doesn't have a mortgage, or soon will.  At least in the U.S.  I personally have been more interested in the 0.0001% since before Bitcoin, and in fact this is a driving force behind my interest in Bitcoin in the first place.  This even before I personally was firmly in the 1% catagory (so it's not a completely self-serving bit of advice.)

I would say that the 1% are mostly happless cannon-fodder.  They are more of a target for victimization than the '99%' because they actually have something of value to steal.  A vast majority of the 1%  will be more naturally allied with the 99% when the shit hits the fan, although the real players (the 0.0001%) will certainly try and may well succeed working the board play such that the the 99% take out the 0.99% on the way toward the end-game and before the 99% and the 0.99% can team up.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: