Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 09:54:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Intel Spectre & Meltdown - Impact & Risks on Crypto & Blockchain  (Read 121 times)
CryptGuardian (OP)

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 07, 2018, 08:28:59 PM

What I'm afraid off is the strange coincidence in of events  such as the rise in poplarity in cryptocurrency on one hand and now  a revealation in an hardware exploit ( hardware backdoor?) in cpu's, primarily Intel.
Asise from these specific vulnerabilities, others could exist that are not yet detected.

If crypto is a danger to the Dollar = (the US, corporate banking) then It wouldn't suprise me a bit that the NSA, FBI, CIA, HSA ... whatever entity would try to be able to control technology if that technology would be able to change the US's position as a superpower in the world . No Dollar = No USA.

btcgreen63

Activity: 98
Merit: 5

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 01:01:43 AM

I've never understood why people insist on seeing conspiracies in everything.

In this case the issue has to do with the security community's advancing understanding of sidechannel attacks. In short, we now have a much greater understanding of how these attacks can happen because of very smart people doing great research over the last decade or so.

Hanablue

Activity: 204
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 01:08:14 AM

LOL wasn't that just a security risk rather than the agencies you put in. Calm down man, it was only a security threat.
KwizatzHaderach

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 01:10:08 AM

They are currently patching the vulnerabilities. I feel much better that they were open to it and not late in the party when everything have already been hacked.

devarajdp

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 11:57:20 AM

Recently leaked computer vulnerabilities Meltdown and Spectre offer yet another reminder of how hard the digital age makes it keep private information – even cryptocurrency private keys – safe.

Unveiled Wednesday, the widespread hardware vulnerabilities simultaneously impact Intel, ARM and AMD computer chips, which power the vast majority of the world's computers, mobile devices and servers, making it possible to steal private data such as passwords, financial information or just about anything stored on any device that uses one of these chips.

Where this is important for cryptocurrency in particular is, hackers can potentially use the specific attack vector to pinch the private keys that allow users to control their bitcoins on the blockchain.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: