Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 06:11:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Current State of the Cryptosphere  (Read 113 times)
jesus1121 (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 07, 2018, 09:32:12 PM

Already posted this to /btc, /bitcoin to no avail. Looking for some actual discussion but mostly to learn, i am really struggling to see people talking proactively about these subjects instead of just in a pack mentality.

I would just like to put my two cents in, as i have been asked this question a lot and find it hard to answer at times. But things have seemed to come together lately and would like other people opinions on if they see this to be somewhat true.

Of the top crypto-currencies, they seem to have their own niche. Some will say bitcoin and bitcoin cash are two rivals battling it out for market cap dominance to be the 'true' bitcoin. I would say its like comparing apples and oranges. To me Bitcoin, the grandfather of all coins is gold, our store of value. The entity that is backing all other cryptos. To buy and sell crypto in the first place its almost impossible not to go through the grandaddy coin first. Sure it has higher fees and slower transaction times than other coins, but thats okay. As the most sought after coin it bears the most weight on its shoulders with scaling issues and all sorts, but that will be fixed over time and in good time. Once it is fixed Here on bitcoin those improvements will trickle down to the other coins so they will not have to go through this when they are also at this maturity level.

Bitcoin cash, whether you like it or not, is an excellent currency. Cheap, fast and reliable. But that is its niche; as money. And why wouldn't it work amazingly, it is a fork from the most successful crypto to date. As a bitcoin enthusiast it was hard for me to come to terms with bitcoin cash and bitcoin co-thriving but I think they almost need each other to survive.
I feel like there is too much of an "us" vs "them" mentality going on. I would be more worried about decentralized, un-mineable cryptos making it into the top 10 market cap. But then again, those cryptos also have their own niche markets.

In short, Bitcoin is the Backbone, the proof of work, the proof of value of all other coins like gold. The higher market cap it has, the better it is for everyone. Bitcoin Cash is just like fiat currency, except better in every single way.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
rontoberth

Activity: 21

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 08:45:54 PM

Friend and have you worked directly with bitcoin? Do you think this revolution comes to stay? There is much tabu in the subject but I think that little by little they will be removing all the curtains and soon we will be able to see that everything is simpler than we think. This block of decentralized chains is nothing more than the beginning of something new for the future generation
Roukawa

Activity: 546
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 09:09:45 PM

Bitcoin and bitcoin cash, two rivalry coins. Racing the position to be the greatest of all times.
They have two different entity, featuring the best they could be. Bitcoin is popular more over bitcoin cash, it uses extremely its market cap just to lead with others. Bitcoin is reliable, the price is volatile, and proven many times though there is ups and downs. Bitcoin cash is the younger bitcoin, the fork that will change the entity of bitcoin. Bitcoin cash assumes to surpass the name of bitcoin through its characteristics and value. Transactions are made easily, fast with low fees unlike bitcoin.
They are unique from each other but they work for the development of cryptocurrency.

jseverson

Activity: 1834
Merit: 759

View Profile
January 11, 2018, 03:54:32 AM

Already posted this to /btc, /bitcoin to no avail. Looking for some actual discussion but mostly to learn, i am really struggling to see people talking proactively about these subjects instead of just in a pack mentality.

I would just like to put my two cents in, as i have been asked this question a lot and find it hard to answer at times. But things have seemed to come together lately and would like other people opinions on if they see this to be somewhat true.

Of the top crypto-currencies, they seem to have their own niche. Some will say bitcoin and bitcoin cash are two rivals battling it out for market cap dominance to be the 'true' bitcoin. I would say its like comparing apples and oranges. To me Bitcoin, the grandfather of all coins is gold, our store of value. The entity that is backing all other cryptos. To buy and sell crypto in the first place its almost impossible not to go through the grandaddy coin first. Sure it has higher fees and slower transaction times than other coins, but thats okay. As the most sought after coin it bears the most weight on its shoulders with scaling issues and all sorts, but that will be fixed over time and in good time. Once it is fixed Here on bitcoin those improvements will trickle down to the other coins so they will not have to go through this when they are also at this maturity level.

Bitcoin cash, whether you like it or not, is an excellent currency. Cheap, fast and reliable. But that is its niche; as money. And why wouldn't it work amazingly, it is a fork from the most successful crypto to date. As a bitcoin enthusiast it was hard for me to come to terms with bitcoin cash and bitcoin co-thriving but I think they almost need each other to survive.
I feel like there is too much of an "us" vs "them" mentality going on. I would be more worried about decentralized, un-mineable cryptos making it into the top 10 market cap. But then again, those cryptos also have their own niche markets.

In short, Bitcoin is the Backbone, the proof of work, the proof of value of all other coins like gold. The higher market cap it has, the better it is for everyone. Bitcoin Cash is just like fiat currency, except better in every single way.

I respect your views, but could you elaborate on the bolded part?

Bitcoin is Bitcoin, and Bitcoin Cash is an altcoin. It shares the Bitcoin branding, but they are otherwise completely unrelated -- that's why the fork happened in the first place. Bitcoin Cash wanted to go on a separate direction, and they did.

If we go by the facts that Bitcoin and Bitcoin Cash are discrete entities, and that Bitcoin is hard to use as a currency at the moment, why should your first alternative option have to be Bitcoin Cash among the sea of altcoins, some of which are even faster and cheaper? Bitcoin Cash could stop existing and people are still going to be able to find alternatives that are both decentralized and mineable.

jesus1121 (OP)

Activity: 2

View Profile
January 12, 2018, 08:11:13 AM

I respect your views, but could you elaborate on the bolded part?

Bitcoin is Bitcoin, and Bitcoin Cash is an altcoin. It shares the Bitcoin branding, but they are otherwise completely unrelated -- that's why the fork happened in the first place. Bitcoin Cash wanted to go on a separate direction, and they did.

If we go by the facts that Bitcoin and Bitcoin Cash are discrete entities, and that Bitcoin is hard to use as a currency at the moment, why should your first alternative option have to be Bitcoin Cash among the sea of altcoins, some of which are even faster and cheaper? Bitcoin Cash could stop existing and people are still going to be able to find alternatives that are both decentralized and mineable.

To answer your question about whether or not they need each other to survive, for the bitcoin and the 'bitcoin brand' to survive; should we think about reaching all corners of the crypto market. No coin will be perfectly scripted to do every task, like ethereum is for programmable contracts and ripple for trading currencies between bordered countries. Maybe it will be in the best interest of bitcoin to fork again and create a bitcoin version of these crypto-types.

In the foreseeable future of crypto could we use hard/soft forks in our favor?

If i were to use an altcoin for buying real world items, i would rather use a coin with the philosophical view point of the original satoshi nakamotos, im still not sure whether or not that is true for bitcoin cash but im sure there is value in the reason for its existence not just how well it performs.
uszaty43

Activity: 849
Merit: 507

View Profile
January 12, 2018, 08:26:44 AM

Of the top crypto-currencies, they seem to have their own niche. Some will say bitcoin and bitcoin cash are two rivals battling it out for market cap dominance to be the 'true' bitcoin. I would say its like comparing apples and oranges. To me Bitcoin, the grandfather of all coins is gold, our store of value.

Well, there is nothing new with this, we all know that bitcoin is and will always be considered as a store of value because of the huge fees that it has, no one is going to pay $10 - $15 worth of fees for just buying a cofee of one single dollar.

That is what is really happening on the "cryptosphere" just like you are saying.

But bitcoin cash? That is the biggest shit that has ever existed.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: