Bitcoin Forum
April 30, 2024, 08:55:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Investing for profit alone or also mission?  (Read 103 times)
realityawakening (OP)

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 07, 2018, 11:45:28 PM

When you choose to invest in a coin, is it always about one thing only, that you think you will profit more from spending the money on that coin than on any other you know about?

Or do you sometimes consider the mission of the company (and it's likelihood to actually deliver on that promise)?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Knightly

Activity: 132
Merit: 11

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 12:08:07 AM

Mine is both. At the moment I'm mostly for profit so I can build my portfolio to the point where I could be pickier and choose what I want to invest in.

Time will tell where that plan gets me Tongue

Good luck.

-Knightly
jetwings

Activity: 9

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 12:35:11 AM

Or do you sometimes consider the mission of the company (and it's likelihood to actually deliver on that promise)?
I look at the both.
Profit plus their mission which is what the future of my investment depends on..
jrtaboraman

Activity: 26

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 01:38:19 AM

For now profit.   Cool
zzHQzz

Activity: 47

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 01:59:50 AM

Mainly profit, be water (c)
but sometimes ($xrp never) second
We have to be responsible since we're already going sharing economy all over the place
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3211

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 08:57:25 AM

Why is there a choice? Why would anyone consider the company's mission if they aren't going to sell the coin for a profit.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
goldexp83

Activity: 225
Merit: 10

quarkchain.io

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 10:49:50 AM

I have different budgets and I managed them in a different way:
-hold budget > probably the companies that I believe in the mission
-profit budget > short-mid hold
-trade budget > following swings and mostly testing new channels and strategies
have these separated budgets give me better diversification or

FinStar34900

Activity: 39

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 02:05:12 PM

For long term investments i prefer going over the mission of the company, if i find a mission that will seem significant in the long term I would opt for investing in it.
ikilledcobain

Activity: 446
Merit: 252

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 02:09:12 PM

If it's short term, I might just look at the profit aspect - but long term, the mission of the company definitely comes into play. For instance, I like XRP as a profit opportunity, but don't care for the mission of the company and would rather put my long term holdings elsewhere - Electroneum, DeepOnion, etc.

▀██▄ ▄██▀
            ▐█████▌
           ▄███▀███▄
         ▄████▄  ▀███▄
       ▄███▀ ▀██▄  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀  ▄█████▄  ▀███▄
   ▄███▀  ▄███▀ ▀███▄  ▀███▄
  ███▀  ▄████▌   ▐████▄  ▀███
 ███   ██▀  ██▄ ▄██  ▀██   ███
███   ███  ███   ███  ███   ███
███   ███   ███████   ███   ███
 ███   ███▄▄       ▄▄███   ███
  ███▄   ▀▀█████████▀▀   ▄███
   ▀████▄▄           ▄▄████▀
      ▀▀███████████████▀▀
DeepOnion
Anonymous and Untraceable
ANN  Whitepaper  Facebook  Twitter  Telegram  Discord 

▄▄██████████▄▄
    ▄███▀▀      ▀▀█▀   ▄▄
   ███▀              ▄███
  ███              ▄███▀   ▄▄
 ███▌  ▄▄▄▄      ▄███▀   ▄███
▐███  ██████   ▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███  ███▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███   ████▀   ▄███▀
███▌  ███   █▀   ▄███▀  ███
▐███   ███     ▄███▀   ███
 ███▌   ███  ▄███▀     ███
  ███    ██████▀      ███
   ███▄             ▄███
    ▀███▄▄       ▄▄███▀
      ▀▀███████████▀▀
realityawakening (OP)

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 06:03:42 PM

I have different budgets and I managed them in a different way:
-hold budget > probably the companies that I believe in the mission
-profit budget > short-mid hold
-trade budget > following swings and mostly testing new channels and strategies
have these separated budgets give me better diversification or

That's a great way of putting it. I think I've done the same by default without really planning it out that way, but it's a good way of planning.

I didn't actually mean for anything to be in my "trade budget" column originally. I even moved some things off the exchanges to offline wallets I should have left on the exchange to trade. I thought when I bought them they would be longterm holds, then I found out more about the companies and wanted to sell to buy something I liked more (either for profit or for mission). I paid so much in fees moving back and forth in just a couple weeks. I also missed the top of some tokens because I didn't realize I needed to buy some ETH for gas to be able to move anything from my wallet back to the exchange!

Now I don't presume something is in the "hold budget" column until I've actually held it over a month. But I still choose coins based on that. Stellar XLM is one such play. It's done all right for me on profit (3x in 1 month) but there are coins that have made me a lot more in a lot less time. For purely trading it isn't a good play, but I am committed to being a supporter of that company's mission and a part of its journey.

And then there's Tron TRX. I got in at .03 so even though it's given back a lot of its gains, it has still made me 5x even now. (At one point it was 10x.) That's the one I wanted to sell at .20 but couldn't get out of my wallet. I don't care about that company's mission at all, so am just looking for the right price points to move in and out of it.
realityawakening (OP)

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 06:14:02 PM

Why is there a choice? Why would anyone consider the company's mission if they aren't going to sell the coin for a profit.

Well often you can profit from something you believe in or profit from something you don't believe in. I invested in XRP  for profit, but once I found out more of what it was about, I sold. Now it did go up more from where I sold, but I still made 3x in the meantime. That could have been 6x by the time it started its decline. But I just don't believe in that company or its mission (nor in the value of the coin even within what its doing). I put that money into SUB, which I've also made 3x on and where I'm committed for the longrun because I actually want to see the company achieve what it's setting out to do.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: